Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

View Poll Results: Why of the following major ebook distributors do you purchase from, and why?
Amazon, because I also have a Kindle 25 26.60%
Amazon, because I can't find the book I want elsewhere 18 19.15%
Amazon, other 20 21.28%
B&N, because I also have a nook 7 7.45%
B&N, because I like that they have ePub & allow lending 6 6.38%
B&N, other 7 7.45%
Kobo, because I also have a Kobo, Sony, or other Adobe Adept reader 10 10.64%
Kobo, because I like that they support ePub 14 14.89%
Kobo, other 9 9.57%
I prefer to buy from another seller because they sell books on [Topic] 6 6.38%
I prefer to buy from another seller because they are cheaper. 14 14.89%
I prefer to buy from another seller for some other reason. 35 37.23%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-30-2010, 01:05 AM   #1
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Android, Kindle Paperwhite, lots of ancient readers
Which of the following major eBook distributor do you purchase from, and why?

Folks with Apple devices are generally free to select which store they purchase content from. What stores do you prefer, and why?

I personally prefer to buy from B&N or Kobo because they support ePub, but will occasionally buy from Amazon if they have a book I need. I also purchase technical books from O'Reilly fairly often.

I switch back and forth between B&N and Kobo because B&N is occasionally cheaper, but I like what Kobo is doing and want to support their style of development.

Last edited by nikkie; 09-30-2010 at 01:12 AM.
nikkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 01:10 AM   #2
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
I don't buy books. I do public domain.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2010, 02:33 AM   #3
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I'd buy ebooks in the order authors directly, publishers directly, kobo/Borders, and lastly Amazon. Note that we have no iBooks store down this way (well, we do, but it's just stocked with free public domain stuff). I haven't bought much though, having a rather large TBR pile (real and virtual).

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 02:35 AM   #4
lila55
Fanatic
lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360° , iPhone 5, PRS-650, Sony PRS-T2, Sony PRS-T3, Tolino
Usually I check where I can get the book cheapest, and that is where I buy.
lila55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 02:39 AM   #5
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek
MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi, Onyx Boox M96
Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
I'd buy ebooks in the order authors directly, publishers directly, kobo/Borders, and lastly Amazon.
I like that order of things for many reasons;

1. Author gets 100% of the income
2. Author gets to know who's reading the book
3. Author can gauge very quickly how sales are progressing based on their hourly traffic.

Paul.
MrPLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2010, 05:07 AM   #6
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Amazon ... because they are cheaper
Amazon ... because they have the best store
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 07:27 AM   #7
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Kobo, because the books can be used on all my devices
Smashwords, same

I do have a Kindle but I don't know how to liberate the books so I have not bought any from Amazon
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 07:46 AM   #8
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, K3 & Amazon - between them they cover my needs.
Amazon, because it's easy, and because they have far and away the best eBook selection available where I ive
petermillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 10:24 AM   #9
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
I buy from Amazon because they make it really easy to spend money, to get what I want and to use the content I buy. Saving a buck or two wouldn't entice me unless service was comparable elsewhere.

I've bought a few e-books elsewhere, and it seems as if some competitors are trying to drive away customers.

Last edited by Maggie Leung; 09-30-2010 at 10:28 AM.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 10:28 AM   #10
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Folks with Apple devices are generally free to select which store they purchase content from.
And folks with a device not a kindle or nook

I guess my criteria if i owned an iDevice would be rendering quality, and the overall quality of the app. And reading ePub of course, so i can get books in France.
Form my experience with android, apps from the bigs ones, tends to make side-loading a mess. I wouldn't fancy having to use multiple app really, one should do. Guess i would chose the app before choosing the shop.

Last edited by EowynCarter; 09-30-2010 at 10:38 AM.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 11:07 AM   #11
sony_fox
Zealot
sony_fox has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo Auroa H2O
Waterstones, because they will sell me books.
Book on Board because they sometimes have books I want
Author sites directly - because they have book I want, are cheaper, and I approve of the concept.

Amazon is out for format reasons (Epub) Kobo and BN are out because of geographical restrictions.

My only other main option is WHSmiths, whose brickshops I don't like, and whose books seem expensive or no better in price/range than waterstones.
sony_fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 11:11 AM   #12
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
I have never purchased an ebook from Amazon, Kobo or B&N. I buy my books from the Sony store. (My main reader is a Sony.)

I have an iPad and an iPod, with ibooks, but I do very little reading on them.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 11:19 AM   #13
mwheinz
award-winning bozo
mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
You're missing a lot of stores there. Sony & Borders come to mind.
mwheinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 01:01 PM   #14
dynabook
Techno-geek
dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1 (Black), PRS-T3S (Black), Kobo Aura ONE
Sony and Smashwords. Haven't gotten up the gumption to buy from anyone else yet.
--MH
dynabook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 01:48 PM   #15
jes1
Zealot
jes1 will become famous soon enoughjes1 will become famous soon enoughjes1 will become famous soon enoughjes1 will become famous soon enoughjes1 will become famous soon enoughjes1 will become famous soon enough

Device: Astak EZReader, Dell Axim x50v, iPod Touch, nook
Fictionwise, though not as much as I used to Barnes and Noble, Sony, Kobo, Borders, Smashwords, direct from author.

I forgot to put Baen on the list.

Last edited by jes1; 09-30-2010 at 04:39 PM. Reason: left one off my list
jes1 is offline   Reply With Quote