Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 12-09-2013, 01:14 AM   #31
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I've only had a few hours with my new FHD2, but I really like it, starting with the price ($119 on Cyber Monday sale). The reading app is much more full-featured than I had expected, lacking in only a couple of things I've become accustomed to on PW1, and with the much superior Ivona TTS and wonderful narration enablement. I love being able to switch between books quickly (via task switcher instead of having to navigate to Home page), and having separate notes and bookmarks lists is a nice refinement (bookmarks have been too hard to navigate to to be useful). I think my PW is going to be getting lonely.

I did run into a couple of issues:
- I could not get it to accept my 63 character wifi passcode and connect. I checked, rechecked my typing, but it just would not go. I think I had the same issue with PW but it supports connection with WPS (why not Fire? grr). So my workaround was to connect to guest (outbound only) network for now.
[Update: Finally logged into the router, copied the passcode and pasted it to a doc, opened that on the Fire copy/paste and it took. So I apparently mis-typed. ]
- I was having issue downloading .mobi from web pages, but figured that out. I think Google Drive does not set the correct mimetime so the file ends up with .bin instead of .mobi (epub and pdf download fine). Renaming and moving to /Documents seems to work (it then shows in Docs list). Other web pages (gutenburg) don't require rename.

Last edited by tomsem; 12-09-2013 at 01:59 AM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 02:42 PM   #32
mcrow
Zealot
mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4/Kindle Fire HD/Kindle Fire HDX 7"
My wife loves her HD2.

She practically is attached to the thing.

In comparison to my HDX, I would say it's a small step behind. The HD2 runs most games very well and streams videos well...ect. However, the HDX runs practically every game and I would say the quality of the graphics are better. Overall I think the HDX display is a bit nicer but not stunningly different. It might be my ears but the sound on the HDX seem better as well but I think they have the same hardware.
mcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 03:02 PM   #33
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrow View Post
My wife loves her HD2.

She practically is attached to the thing.

In comparison to my HDX, I would say it's a small step behind. The HD2 runs most games very well and streams videos well...ect. However, the HDX runs practically every game and I would say the quality of the graphics are better. Overall I think the HDX display is a bit nicer but not stunningly different. It might be my ears but the sound on the HDX seem better as well but I think they have the same hardware.
Yep I carry mine everywhere too.

The HDX sounds isn't as loud as the HD2. I had to stick all 3 of them in case to amplified the sound from it. I don't have to do that with the HD2.

For example playing let's say Bon Jovi's Livin' on Prayer I have to have all three HDXs at max to hear it in the other room. Not so on the HD2 at even the half way point I can hear it even upstairs. Once I put it in the same case the HD2 doesn't even need to be at half way. It's LOUD. I also found the HDX sound to be more Tinny till I put it in a case which added Bass to it. I don't believe this to be flaw but marketing Amazon wants to sell the Origami case which is suppose to amplify the sound and make it sound like a theater. I did have that case and I can say Poetic Case does a better job on amplifying and adding bass.

The HDX is quad core so it should run anything. The HD2 is dual core so it will run most of the popular games like Angry Birds, Candy Crush Saga...etc The HDX display on movies and games are better but that blue border depending on your unit may or may not show up. On HDX 1 it didn't but on HDX 3 it showed up on everything! So the HDX should win in Movies and Games because of better hardware.

If the HDX 7 didn't use blue LEDs it would be an awesome tablet. I've attached a pic of HDX 1 which was the best and most less obtrusive border. The other 2 where way worse that I didn't bother to try to take a pic they each went back.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-10-20 22.40.55.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	116453  
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 03:07 PM   #34
mcrow
Zealot
mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Yep I carry mine everywhere too.

The HDX sounds isn't as loud as the HD2. I had to stick all 3 of them in case to amplified the sound from it. I don't have to do that with the HD2.

For example playing let's say Bon Jovi's Livin' on Prayer I have to have all three HDXs at max to hear it in the other room. Not so on the HD2 at even the half way point I can hear it even upstairs. Once I put it in the same case the HD2 doesn't even need to be at half way. It's LOUD. I also found the HDX sound to be more Tinny till I put it in a case which added Bass to it. I don't believe this to be flaw but marketing Amazon wants to sell the Origami case which is suppose to amplify the sound and make it sound like a theater. I did have that case and I can say Poetic Case does a better job on amplifying and adding bass.

The HDX is quad core so it should run anything. The HD2 is dual core so it will run most of the popular games like Angry Birds, Candy Crush Saga...etc The HDX display on movies and games are better but that blue border depending on your unit may or may not show up. On HDX 1 it didn't but on HDX 3 it showed up on everything! So the HDX should win in Movies and Games because of better hardware.

If the HDX 7 didn't use blue LEDs it would be an awesome tablet. I've attached a pic of HDX 1 which was the best and most less obtrusive border. The other 2 where way worse that I didn't bother to try to take a pic they each went back.
I think different eyes see different things. What I see there wouldn't bother me but mine doesn't look as pronounced as that.
Old 12-09-2013, 03:33 PM   #35
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Sure, for high CPU apps, games, HDX is the way to go. It isn't going to affect much else however. HD2 can easily handle video, ebooks, audio etc. and the UI appears responsive to me. If you want to Skype, shoot pictures, record audio, etc. HD2 is not an option, obviously.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 03:46 PM   #36
mcrow
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Sure, for high CPU apps, games, HDX is the way to go. It isn't going to affect much else however. HD2 can easily handle video, ebooks, audio etc. and the UI appears responsive to me. If you want to Skype, shoot pictures, record audio, etc. HD2 is not an option, obviously.
Correct. They are booth awesome but have different purposes. HDX is more the gaming tablet than the HD2 is but the HD2 is also less expensive. An HDX for my wife wouldn't make sense because the games she likes to play are not very resource intensive and she doesn't care to have a camera. For me, the HDX is better because the games I play are more resource intensive and I use skype. We both read a lot though.

Last edited by mcrow; 12-09-2013 at 03:50 PM.
Old 01-27-2014, 03:09 PM   #37
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Ok, just got a Kindle Fire HD2 for my MIL to try out. (Not that she's had her hands on it yet ) As I've been setting things up, this thing has been getting very, very warm. Even in the case I can feel how warm it is. Can anyone say this happens with theirs?

Also, is there no app like "wifi switch" that will allow one to toggle the wifi off and on? Doing it on the KF is a PITA!

Last edited by booklover6; 01-27-2014 at 03:30 PM.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 04:37 PM   #38
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Ok, just got a Kindle Fire HD2 for my MIL to try out. (Not that she's had her hands on it yet ) As I've been setting things up, this thing has been getting very, very warm. Even in the case I can feel how warm it is. Can anyone say this happens with theirs?

Also, is there no app like "wifi switch" that will allow one to toggle the wifi off and on? Doing it on the KF is a PITA!
Yes the warmness is normal. It's a nice hand warmer if you have cold fingers. Even thought it feels warm if you check the temp it's really not my N7.2 gets just as hot only I don't feel it.

I use this WiFi toggle app on my KF.
Old 01-27-2014, 05:02 PM   #39
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yes the warmness is normal. It's a nice hand warmer if you have cold fingers. Even thought it feels warm if you check the temp it's really not my N7.2 gets just as hot only I don't feel it.

I use this WiFi toggle app on my KF.
Oh, thank you! I was able to backup, dropbox, and install.

I also realized the person who sent it never shut it down. It was just asleep. So I restarted it. Maybe that will help, the battery seemed to be draining super fast. Although, I was downloading and installing a bunch of apps.
Old 01-27-2014, 05:20 PM   #40
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Oh, thank you! I was able to backup, dropbox, and install.

I also realized the person who sent it never shut it down. It was just asleep. So I restarted it. Maybe that will help, the battery seemed to be draining super fast. Although, I was downloading and installing a bunch of apps.
Totally normal when you first get it. It has to sync to Amazon servers which can take alot of juice the first time.

If it a used tablet be sure to do a factory reset or you will have a mess on your hands with stuff left over.
Old 01-27-2014, 05:32 PM   #41
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Yes it was used but (according to the seller) only a few times, for less than a month. I've run clean sweep and it seems to be fine, nothing left over that I can see.

It's not supposed to have a light when charging, right? ( I saw a reviewer wining that his/hers stopped working, but I don't think any of the newest Fires have it).

I'm pretty sure the device is still under Amazon warranty, but not sure how to find that out.
Old 01-27-2014, 05:35 PM   #42
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Yes it was used but (according to the seller) only a few times, for less than a month. I've run clean sweep and it seems to be fine, nothing left over that I can see.

It's not supposed to have a light when charging, right? ( I saw a reviewer wining that his/hers stopped working, but I don't think any of the newest Fires have it).

I'm pretty sure the device is still under Amazon warranty, but not sure how to find that out.
Right no light on the new models. I would suggest getting GSAM battery monitor and set it to alert you with sound when it's fully charge. I use it on all my tablets but N7.2 which is doesn't work on. It can play sounds for low battery, fully charge battery and more.
Old 01-27-2014, 05:52 PM   #43
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Right no light on the new models. I would suggest getting GSAM battery monitor and set it to alert you with sound when it's fully charge. I use it on all my tablets but N7.2 which is doesn't work on. It can play sounds for low battery, fully charge battery and more.
Thanks, just bought it with some coins.

Nice app!

Last edited by booklover6; 01-27-2014 at 05:57 PM.
Old 01-28-2014, 07:53 AM   #44
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

My first impressions so far: there are a lot of things I like better about it, than the 2012 Fire/Fire HD (have had/have both).

The task switching and the home screen are both huge improvements. The size is much improved over the 2012 Fire HD, the design is improved over the 2012 Fire.

The screen seems a lot yellower in reading apps. I have to try some different backgrounds for it, than the ones I use in Moon+ Pro on other devices.

The SHINE! OMG. This thing is a mirror. I am probably going to have to get a matte screen protector.

My MIL played bingo on it, and says it is very heavy. It is definitely heavier than my Nexus 7.2 and my Nook HD. She is not sure she is going to want it, which is fine with me, she can use it while she's here... I can use it while she's not Although I am not sure I will want to read my Lending Library book on it. Have to wait til Feb 1 and compare that reading experience with my Kindle touch. (And I think the Touch will win due to it's size, weight, and text display).

I am reminded of what a PITA the Amazon interface is....having to go to 1mobile or side load an app....so much easier to get things the way you want them on non-Amazon tablets.

So my verdict is, it's better than previous generation Kindle Fires, but not better than non-Amazon tablets. (Unless you need something like Free Time and other parental controls, or really love the Kindle reading app, or want it for Prime video, and being locked in to the Amazon app store is your thing). Perfect for Amazon cheerleaders!

I would still recommend the Nook HD for a first time tablet/budget tablet purchaser, over the Kindle Fire HD 2013. Or one of the many other non-store tablets, such as the Hisense Sero Pro.

UPDATE, I really love reading on this tablet. So for readers who do not edit their ebooks from Amazon, this thing is awesome! I hate reading on the 2012 Fire, as it's SO wide. But the size of this one is just perfect.

UPDATE - I am keeping this tablet. If MIL wants a tablet she can have the 8gb Nook.

UPDATE - MIL tried reading on the Nook HD but the back light was not good for her. So today she will try the Kindle Touch.

Last edited by booklover6; 02-14-2014 at 08:44 AM.
Old 02-23-2014, 06:44 PM   #45
flyingturtle
flyingturtle began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hey, Blossom, I just joined this forum but wanted to say thanks for your posts about the new Kindles and also of the Nexus 7.

I was having a really hard time deciding on whether to buy the Kindle HDX or not and your posts helped me make my decision. I bought both the Nexus 7 2013 and Kindle HD 2013, best of both worlds. I never would have considered doing that, if I hadn't read your posts.

Both devices were on sale recently, plus with a few gift cards, I was able to buy both of them together for well under $300 -- not too much more than a HDX Kindle.

The Nexus has impressed me greatly, I think didn't having access to the Google Play store and the Google apps would be that big of a deal, but it's been great for work as I use Gmail and Google docs a lot. Much better than using my iPad/iPhone. Plus the screen resolution is fantastic, especially for rendering fonts. Wow. Only thing that I don't like is the battery life, could be better. Great tablet overall tablet though. I use it more than my iOS devices now.

The second surprise was the Kindle HD 2013. I initially ignored this base model, thinking it would be too lacking, but for it's price, it's a wonderful device. While I own almost all e-Ink Kindle models ever made, as far as Kindle Fire's, I still only owned the original Fire so the HD 2013 Fire was a big upgrade for me.

While I initially wished it was as light as the Nexus or the new HDX, I really like the rubbery backside of the model -- it makes it easy to hold in your hand. Love the tactile feel of it. I really like all the new features of the 2013 model, it's much zippier than my 1st-gen Kindle Fire, and one feature I didn't think I'd use that much -- the text-to-speech feature, is really great for working or driving while listening a book. They really improved the voice over the Kindle Keyboard & Kindle Touch versions. I'm using that feature a lot lately.

The 8GB, like my 1st-Gen Kindle Fire, is really too small, since you can only use about a portion of that (4gb maybe?) but since I have my Nexus to install any big Android-related apps (plus Amazon let's you install the Amazon Appstore on the Nexus), I don't really need that much space on my Kindle Fire HD. Also read the tip about using Calibre Companion to get books from my PC (gotta try that out).

Great budget device and it's got me thinking that I may start preferring to read on these devices over my e-Ink Kindles.

Anyway, thanks again and to everyone else that posted as well.
flyingturtle is offline   Reply With Quote