Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-03-2012, 12:40 AM   #1
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Pulp Mags - How many stories?

I have been enjoying reading short stories collected from America's most highly respected detective pulp magazine, Black Mask.

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Lizard-S...3427666&sr=1-1

As you know, Charlie Rutledge posts to the MR Library a sampler from a pulp magazine almost every day.

I have never seen one of those old mags. Does anyone know how many stories were in a typical issue?

I ask because I have read 21 Black Mask stories since the first of the year, and I wonder how many issues that would translate into.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 02:24 AM   #2
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Makes me wonder; When will we see iPulp in iTunes and ePulp at Amazon?
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-03-2012, 05:48 AM   #3
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Don't know about those, but the scifi ones generally had about 120 pages, split into 7 stories plus assorted editorial and other non-fiction content.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 07:09 AM   #4
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Your typical novel pulp ran around 70,000 words or so. (Novel pulp - Doc Savage, The Shadow, G8 and His Battle Aces, ect.) They were broken down into, Novel -50-60,000 word, Short Adventure Story, and some sort non-fiction adventure related story.

The later Doc Savages were 30-40,000 words packaged with another short novel (actually both were novellas), instead of one larger novel.
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 07:10 AM   #5
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
Don't know about those, but the scifi ones generally had about 120 pages, split into 7 stories plus assorted editorial and other non-fiction content.
And one of the stories was a serialized portion of a novel.
Advert
Old 04-03-2012, 07:23 AM   #6
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I had, at one time, about 200 pulps from the 1930s-50s, to include a complete set of Famous Fantastic Mysteries, etc.

The number of stories varied from one title to another title of any given magazine.

I have never, however, owned any copies of Black Mask, so I have no answer to your question. These pulp stories - from different genres - are all great reads, as you indicate.

You might wish to check out Otto Penzler's superb anthology, in ebook. It costs some money, but I personally have no problem with (occasionally) spending $15-20 for an ebook I very much want to read.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 07:33 AM   #7
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I had, at one time, about 200 pulps from the 1930s-50s, to include a complete set of Famous Fantastic Mysteries, etc.

The number of stories varied from one title to another title of any given magazine.

I have never, however, owned any copies of Black Mask, so I have no answer to your question. These pulp stories - from different genres - are all great reads, as you indicate.

You might wish to check out Otto Penzler's superb anthology, in ebook. It costs some money, but I personally have no problem with (occasionally) spending $15-20 for an ebook I very much want to read.

Don

But it's not out in e-book until May 9th. And it's only $14.99. Start saving your nickles...(Not a bad price, for nearly 1200 print pages worth of stories. Just hope it is properly proofed. Unlike my typing....)
Old 04-03-2012, 09:04 AM   #8
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
But it's not out in e-book until May 9th. And it's only $14.99. Start saving your nickles...(Not a bad price, for nearly 1200 print pages worth of stories. Just hope it is properly proofed. Unlike my typing....)
Which Otto Penzler anthology are you referring to?

------

ETA: Never mind--I found it: The Black Lizard Big Book of Black Mask Stories.

Looks good. I have The Black Lizard Big Book of Pulps, which is also massive and a lot of fun to read.

Last edited by Catlady; 04-03-2012 at 09:13 AM.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:10 AM   #9
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Which Otto Penzler anthology are you referring to?
The one in the OP link.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:41 AM   #10
Pulpmeister
Wizard
Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Well, 1951 is probably just a bit past the pulp era-- but I have an Ellery Queen (rare Australian edition no less!) which lacks the editorial matter of the parent US edition. The contents of this one are:

The Contradictory Case, by Hugh Pentecost (Lt Pascal)
Lesson in Anatomy, by Michael innes (Inspector Appleby)
Fingerprints Don't Lie, by Stuart Palmer (Hildegarde Withers)
The Dwarfs' Club, by Francisco A Branco (Dona Mafalda)
The Problem of Cell 13, by Jacques Futrelle (The Thinking Machine)
Gold Mounted Guns, by F R Buckley

128 pages not counting covers
Pulpmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:53 PM   #11
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Pulpmeister, judging by the length of the stories I have been reading, six per issues seems reasonable.

I am aware of Ellery Queen only as what we call here a "digest". Is your 1951 EQ in the pulp mag format rather than a digest?
Old 04-03-2012, 09:30 PM   #12
Pulpmeister
Wizard
Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Same size as Analog, current EQMM etc. I don't know what size the prewar pulps were, well before my time.
Pulpmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 04:27 PM   #13
Tascosa
Tascosa began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
I have been enjoying reading short stories collected from America's most highly respected detective pulp magazine, Black Mask.

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Lizard-S...3427666&sr=1-1

As you know, Charlie Rutledge posts to the MR Library a sampler from a pulp magazine almost every day.

I have never seen one of those old mags. Does anyone know how many stories were in a typical issue?

I ask because I have read 21 Black Mask stories since the first of the year, and I wonder how many issues that would translate into.
Most pulps had a novella, a couple of novelettes and maybe three short features (usually short stories or maybe a non fiction article.)
Of course there were variations like a longer novella and a short story. Then some mags like Argosy would have part of a serial instead of a novelette.
The Maltese Falcon originally ran as a serial in BLACK MASK.

p.s. There's a new book of stories from a Black Mask writer, Fred Nebel who wrote very much in the Hammett style. CARDIGAN, the stories are from DIME DETECTIVE, a mag very much like B.M.
Tascosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 06:12 PM   #14
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!

Thanks Tascosa!

I already have the Cardigan book on my Amazon wishlist! Unfortunately, I think it's a hardback, and therefore twice as expensive as it needs to be in my opinion.

PS - I see now that the Cardigan is a paperback. Still, at $30 it's twice what I think it ought to be.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Complete-C...id=RVSBV717YT9

Last edited by GA Russell; 04-09-2012 at 08:32 PM.
Old 04-10-2012, 01:22 AM   #15
Tascosa
Tascosa began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
Thanks Tascosa!

I already have the Cardigan book on my Amazon wishlist! Unfortunately, I think it's a hardback, and therefore twice as expensive as it needs to be in my opinion.

PS - I see now that the Cardigan is a paperback. Still, at $30 it's twice what I think it ought to be.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Complete-C...id=RVSBV717YT9

If you like classic Black Mask style, you'll like Nebel.

p.s. There's an older (cheaper) book of CARDIGAN stories; AMAZON should have it; don't think there's any duplication. There's also a reprint of the first Nebel collection from 1950, FIVE (?) DEADLY DAMES, featuring "Donohue" a tough p.i. from Black Mask.

p.p.s. Horace McCoy (THEY SHOOT HORSES...) was a *failed B.M. writer
Tascosa is offline   Reply With Quote