Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-26-2012, 08:29 AM   #301
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Munch View Post
Uhm...
Oops, care to edit / delete the quote ?
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:23 AM   #302
hughhowey
Enthusiast
hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
I walked into a bookstore in Melbourne today and Wool was very visible. It was the first book you saw walking through the front door and there were more copies in another shelf.

I've picked up a copy for my Mum's Christmas present. I didn't think it would get here in time.

Congrats Hugh!
Wow, that's incredible to hear. Thanks for all the support, everyone. This thread is like a time capsule for how wild my year has been!
hughhowey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2013, 05:16 PM   #303
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool It'll be a good year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughhowey View Post
Wow, that's incredible to hear. Thanks for all the support, everyone. This thread is like a time capsule for how wild my year has been!
I'm an ebook person so haven't gotten any paper books lately, but I did receive the ebook version of 2nd Shift: Order for Christmas and also received a PaperWhite. So my first read of 2013 and my first read on the PaperWhite was 2nd Shift: Order. Well I loved the new installment to the Silo (Wool) saga and loved the new Kindle! Keep up the good work, Hugh!!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

P.S. Hugh, could I persuade you to participate in the Authorgraph web site. Check it out.

Last edited by alansplace; 01-03-2013 at 05:21 PM. Reason: add info
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:31 PM   #304
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I recently read First Shift. Sometime this month, I'll pick up Second Shift.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:23 AM   #305
Joy736
Addict
Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I have the Wool omnibus on my tbr-list for a while now. I'll read them soon.
Joy736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2013, 04:40 AM   #306
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
Anyone care to explain the end of Wool 2? I don't know if it's the fact I have the flu, or if it just didn't strike me like the first book, but I'm confused as to what the heck was going on.
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:43 AM   #307
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I'd have to check; it's been a while. I remember I read all five as one book, though, so I'd have a difficult time recalling individual "endings." I do remember a few things early on that just didn't seem to "jive" with me—logically or continuity-wise—but those things were almost always dealt with satisfactorily at some point in the narrative.

EDIT: Must've been the flu.
Spoiler:
A) Juliette fixed the generator.

B) Bernard (I.T.) poisoned the water in what he assumed would be Deputy Marnes' canteen (not knowing that they had taken to drinking from the canteen strapped on the back of the person in the lead going back up the steps) so that he could at least maneuver his man to be next in line for Sheriff by getting the Deputy out of the way (as you may recall... Bernard didn't approve of Juliette's nomination). He also knew the death of Deputy Marnes would hurt Mayor Jahns emotionally. But it was Mayor Jahns who drank from the poisoned canteen, thus upsetting the over-all balance of power in the silo.

(spoilers only for those who haven't read books one and two)

Last edited by DiapDealer; 01-12-2013 at 09:36 AM.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:24 PM   #308
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

thank you. when I was reading reviews people acted like the last few sentences were some huge surprise but they talked about
Spoiler:
the IT and water in the previous chapters.

thanks for looking it up and getting back.

Last edited by jhempel24; 01-14-2013 at 01:52 PM.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:43 PM   #309
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhempel24 View Post
thank you. when I was reading reviews people acted like the last few sentences were some huge surprise[...snip...]

thanks for looking it up and getting back.
I removed your potential spoiler from my quote, hopefully you'll also put that bit in spoiler tags for the sake of others... :-)

...and for those who love spoilers or who have read the book...
Spoiler:

I'll preface by saying that I loved the books... that said:

There was so much written about the sharing of canteens and the refilling of them throughout the book that it was far too obvious IMO. Of every subplot in the book this one was the most transparent. Poison immediately entered my mind when the canteens were taken for filling.
twowheels is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:47 PM   #310
jhempel24
Wizard

Nothing i really said spoiled anything I thought. But i can go back and add when I get to a PC.

I agree with you though. I am enjoying the 3rd book right now. Almost done with it. Will finish the omnibus tonight I hope.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:23 PM   #311
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
...and for those who love spoilers or who have read the book...
Spoiler:

I'll preface by saying that I loved the books... that said:

There was so much written about the sharing of canteens and the refilling of them throughout the book that it was far too obvious IMO. Of every subplot in the book this one was the most transparent. Poison immediately entered my mind when the canteens were taken for filling.
I have to agree. I didn't really mind it at all, but the foreshadowing was a tad heavy-handed. Then again, I'm rarely surprised by things like this in books--unless it's utterly unforeshadowed and comes completely out of left field, that is. And I consider that a bit of a foul.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:44 PM   #312
jhempel24
Wizard

I just finished book 3....wow, probably my favorite so far, just really really good.

Spoiler:
when she got the note that mentioned Supplies, I got pretty giddy.
Old 01-15-2013, 02:59 AM   #313
jhempel24
Wizard

Wow these things are dense for the amount of pages (for me anyway), Getting on to book 5 now....really good reads!
Old 01-15-2013, 06:32 AM   #314
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
I enjoyed Wool 1-5 and will be purchasing the future volumes as well.

I have to admit though....I am currently halfway through the 3rd book in the Molly Fyde series and I think I may like those even better!

Good stuff Mr. Howey!
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:23 PM   #315
jhempel24
Wizard

Just finished up all 5.....wow, just wow!!! Fantastic series, can't wait to get into the prequels.