Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 05-28-2010, 04:32 PM   #16
tazem
tazem began at the beginning.

Device: Dell_Axim/Astak_PP
I downloaded the file v5setup-20100520-bigfiles but have not tried it yet. I was unable to read the side and do not want to brick my reader so soon by not following directions. LOL.

I did read that some have not been happy with this version and have gone back to a previous one. Think I will try a book-light first.

tazem
tazem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 08:29 PM   #17
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazem View Post
I downloaded the file v5setup-20100520-bigfiles but have not tried it yet. I was unable to read the side and do not want to brick my reader so soon by not following directions. LOL.

I did read that some have not been happy with this version and have gone back to a previous one. Think I will try a book-light first.

tazem
OK, probably better safe than sorry.

FWIW, I do not think the 520 version to works very well, as I could not get it to connect to my PC. The 513 version works fine for me.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2010, 08:32 PM   #18
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasMcKean View Post
There are three options for the contrast setting. Which one do yew use?
When you cycle through the 3 options, the effect happens immediately, so just pick the one that you like the best.
Old 05-29-2010, 09:40 AM   #19
oncdoc
Addict
oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle, pocket pro
where are the contrast settings. I cant find em.
oncdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 10:01 AM   #20
Dave_S
What Title ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oncdoc View Post
where are the contrast settings. I cant find em.
In v5setup-20100513-bigfiles.zip DISPLAY is item #5 in the main bookshelf settings. The display settings are not in v5setup-cr3-20100528.zip, since Buggins used a different base firmware for that CoolReader update.
Advert
Old 05-29-2010, 10:41 AM   #21
oncdoc
Addict
oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle, pocket pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
In v5setup-20100513-bigfiles.zip DISPLAY is item #5 in the main bookshelf settings. The display settings are not in v5setup-cr3-20100528.zip, since Buggins used a different base firmware for that CoolReader update.
ok, i see choices adaptive, speed etc. is this what u are talking about?
oncdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 02:53 PM   #22
Dave_S
What Title ?

Quote:
Yes, just try the settings and you can see it affects contrast immediately.
Old 05-31-2010, 01:32 AM   #23
ThomasMcKean
Disabilities Advocate
ThomasMcKean doesn't litterThomasMcKean doesn't litter

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
I find "speed" gives the best contrast. But I don't know others may disagree with me.
ThomasMcKean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 02:20 AM   #24
Dave_S
What Title ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasMcKean View Post
I find "speed" gives the best contrast. But I don't know others may disagree with me.
That is what I have mine set to.

That seems to give the lightest background. Now I wish there was a way to get a black that is as black as I get on my 6" reader. Still, the lighter background is a big improvement for me.
Old 05-31-2010, 08:09 AM   #25
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
That is what I have mine set to.

That seems to give the lightest background. Now I wish there was a way to get a black that is as black as I get on my 6" reader. Still, the lighter background is a big improvement for me.
It gives a lighter background in the list of files (with the spiral notebook graphic) but I don't see any difference while reading in Coolreader.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 02:12 PM   #26
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Robertb Is back from Conference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazem View Post
Is there a way to increase the contrast on the PP? The screen is much more gray than white, this makes it hard on the eyes. I can not read for very long, only about 20 minutes or so. I have increased the reading font size but it is still difficult.

I have tried updating the firmware to 2.02astak100320, making sure that it is fully charged, and changing the font.

Also some of the internal text does not scale up at all. It stays very tiny.

This is dark but it shows the grayness of the screen.

I just got this for Mothers Day. Any help or advice welcome.

tazem
Dear Tazem:

Thank you for posting and I hope you are finding both the Pocket PRO and the forum helpful and fun! I work for Astak (which is now becoming EZRead, Inc.). We are finally going to branch off as a separate and bigger company.

Yes, the screen on the Pocket PRO is E-Ink which gives you a battery charge of about three novels or so to a single charge. That does mean that the screen may seem a little dark at first... but this is to allow you to be able to read without glare in bright sunlight.

I do strongly recommend that you go to: www.theEZreader.com under "support" and read the FAQ sheet. That has some tips on getting different fonts downloaded.

I do recommend the Mighty Bright Ultra-Flex 2 as an eBook Reader light. It has two LED lights, can be placed pretty much as you want it, and runs about $14-$16 on Amazon. With two lights it eliminates bright spots and you can choose one light or two or none. That uses three AAA batteries and you can buy an AC adapter.

Please remember to recharge when the Charge Life Meter shows a bit less than 1/2 charge. The User Manual suggests draining it to empty; but that has been superceeded in the FAQ sheet. The PP is a wonderful device and you will love it... but it gets crankey when the power runs low. When you recharge... do it for 8-12 hours. When the green light comes on... KEEP charging! Green simply means it is starting to get full and not "completely full".

Try the MP3 on your PP. The sound is outstanding and is definitely worth a good pair of noise-cancelling headphones. I use mine all the time; and find it better than the iPod.

When you need to buy eBooks... please take a look at: www.EZread.com!! That is our eBook Store and has both free and pay eBooks and is a fun place to browse and shop.

Again, thank you and welcome to our forum!!
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 02:17 PM   #27
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Robert, has Astak announced any new readers using the new eInk screens with the higher contrast ratios?
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 03:32 PM   #28
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Higher Contrast new devices?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Robert, has Astak announced any new readers using the new eInk screens with the higher contrast ratios?
Dear AnemicOak:

We have sort of announced the new 6 inch EZ Reader PLUS. That is as fast as the Pocket PRO now and comes with a 16 level gray scale screen. We are praying to God we can start selling these by the end of the month. We are trying everything to sell out the older 6 inch first as the cost for the PLUS and the older Basic will be, quite unbelievably, the same!

You can find out about the EZ Reader PLUS on my blog:

www.robertbEZ.blogspot.com

There are other 6 inch and 9 inch devices we thought we would have out now; but they use SIPix screens and those screens are delayed in manufacturing. The PLUS uses a PVI screen.

Last edited by Robertb; 06-02-2010 at 12:00 PM.
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 09:21 PM   #29
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
Dear AnemicOak:

We have sort of announced the new 6 inch EZ Reader PLUS. That is as fast as the Pocket PRO now and comes with a 16 level gray scale screen. We are praying to God we can start selling these by the end of the month. We are trying everything to sell out the older 6 inch first as the cost for the PLUS and the older Basic will be, quite unbelievably, the same!

You can find out about the EZ Reader PLUS on my blog:

www.robertbEZ.blogpot.com

There are other 6 inch and 9 inch devices we thought we would have out now; but they use SIPix screens and those screens are delayed in manufacturing. The PLUS uses a PVI screen.
robertB, this link goes to a Bible site.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 09:26 PM   #30
nimblem
Addict
nimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the rough

Device: Pocket Pro, Kindle Dx
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6charlong View Post
robertB, this link goes to a Bible site.
try adding an s for spot it will read...

www.robertbEZ.blogspot.com

Last edited by nimblem; 06-02-2010 at 01:28 PM.
nimblem is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
contrast, screen