Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-28-2010, 06:23 AM   #1
tablettweet
Connoisseur
tablettweet began at the beginning.

Device: IPad 1&2,IPod Touch 4G, DXG, Kindle 3, Kindle 4, Kindle Touch
Question Are you still going to buy Kindle DX global wireless ?

I have write a comparison about Apple IPad and Kindle DX. and to me, it seems like IPad has everything that people might want from their tablet e-book reader and no ways that Kindle DX will survive this. The released of Ipad has made the Kindle DX become an old fashion e-book reader style. So I like to know that, for someone who has plan to buying Kindle DX, Are you still gonna buy it or wait for Ipad ?

Last edited by tablettweet; 01-28-2010 at 06:52 AM.
tablettweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 06:38 AM   #2
johndoesecond
Connoisseur
johndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it is

Device: Kindle DX, Kindle 4, Kindle PW2
Your comparison is substantially correct when it comes to the facts.

The decision however depends on how much weight or importance one puts on different features these two devices have, and that depends on what's their purpose to you.

I started earlier a similar thread here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?p=760387

Maybe you want to drop in!

Last edited by johndoesecond; 01-28-2010 at 07:03 AM.
johndoesecond is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2010, 05:35 PM   #3
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
I have friends who were waiting for the Kindle DX 2 to be launched in Australia, but all of them are getting iPads instead...

At that price point, the iPad is hard to beat for people who also want to read color magazines/newspapers/comics.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 05:57 AM   #4
pboss
Evangelist
pboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enough

Device: none
All this comes down to the question: would you prefer an e-ink display for reading? Kindle's e-ink closely emulates paper so there's no stress on your eyes. It's for reading ebooks, plain and simple. Kindle has no system requirements while iPad requires Mac/PC with iTunes.
pboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 06:33 AM   #5
dragonbone
must love dogs
dragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-700, iPhone 32GB 3GS, iPad 64GB WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazied View Post
I have friends who were waiting for the Kindle DX 2 to be launched in Australia, but all of them are getting iPads instead...

At that price point, the iPad is hard to beat for people who also want to read color magazines/newspapers/comics.
Same here with my English and Japanese friends in Japan... iPad!
Apart from all the obvious extras that the iPad will offer with regards to the thousands of apps, video, color etc. etc. it's multi lingual.
dragonbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2010, 07:11 AM   #6
greenapple
Evangelist
greenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle DX, Kobo Aura HD
I'm living in a country where Amazon still refuses to sell its Kindle to. I'm very glad that iPad will be launching in my country in about 2 months' time. I would've gotten a Kindle DX, but guess what, it's a blessing in disguise that Amazon didn't (and still don't) want to do ship to where I live.

Definitely going to give Kindle DX a miss.
greenapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 11:29 AM   #7
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
If you read a lot then the DX is a better choice, IMO. The iPad is a MID and will be good for watching video and surfing the non-Flash internet. Unless the screen is truly different you won't be able to use the iPad outside. The DX or the K2 are excellent outdoor readers. The ability to read outdoors is a major consideration for me because in good weather I spend a lot of time with the kids at the pool.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 02:31 PM   #8
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
absolutely. the maxipad has nothing I want or need. I want a reader. *period*

I have an MP3 for my music and I do not want or need a handheld device for watching videos. that is what my 52 inch HD TV is for
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 03:45 PM   #9
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
absolutely. the maxipad has nothing I want or need. I want a reader. *period*
I agree though for the price I dont see why you would spend the same for the DX...
The Maxipad does more for the money so I think that there needs to be a price reduction for the DX
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 08:47 PM   #10
dragonbone
must love dogs
dragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-700, iPhone 32GB 3GS, iPad 64GB WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcuadro View Post
I agree though for the price I dont see why you would spend the same for the DX...
The Maxipad does more for the money so I think that there needs to be a price reduction for the DX
If the KindleDXi suddenly dropped it's price so drastically that I could get it in my hands here in Tokyo, for $200 or less (at the moment it will be about $600 with S&H and import duties), I'd buy it AND the iPad!
dragonbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 08:51 PM   #11
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
probably get an iPad
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 06:44 AM   #12
dweller
dweller began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600, Kindle DXi, Apple iPad 64GB 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablettweet View Post
The released of Ipad has made the Kindle DX become an old fashion e-book reader style. So I like to know that, for someone who has plan to buying Kindle DX, Are you still gonna buy it or wait for Ipad ?
Yes I was waiting for the ipad info release to make a decision between the ipad and the DX to upgrade from my sony PRS-600 (tired of the small screen and need something in the 10" form factor for PDF reading).

Personally, I find the iPad to be a joke of an ereader - I just ordered the DX international yesterday. Way better reading screen on the DX and battery life that isn't hillariously stupid like the iFad.

The iPad is probably a good device for people that don't care about actual reading quality, and just want a general purpose iTunes device with iphone games / apps on it.

Just my 2c. Others may disagree of course - to each their own

Last edited by dweller; 02-01-2010 at 06:47 AM.
dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 06:50 AM   #13
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazied View Post

It is unfortunate that the iBook (that is the name of the Apple E-Books??) is only available to the US atm. I guess in time that will change.

I am surprised your Aussie friends are going for the iPad. Not sure on the Australian price (not released yet) but going off the US price it comes in around $570AUS (based model). Compare that with $295AUS for the Kindle2 and suddenly there becomes quite a reasonable difference. Is the difference small enough to justify a colour screen for reading?
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 07:41 AM   #14
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
I am surprised your Aussie friends are going for the iPad. Not sure on the Australian price (not released yet) but going off the US price it comes in around $570AUS (based model). Compare that with $295AUS for the Kindle2 and suddenly there becomes quite a reasonable difference. Is the difference small enough to justify a colour screen for reading?
While true remember that we are talking about the Kindle DX and a present time the iPad is only a little more than an iPad.
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 08:21 AM   #15
KernelPanic
KernelPanic will become famous soon enoughKernelPanic will become famous soon enoughKernelPanic will become famous soon enoughKernelPanic will become famous soon enoughKernelPanic will become famous soon enoughKernelPanic will become famous soon enough

Device: Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Kindle DX
I bought a Kindle DX last week. The iPad is a nice gadget and I think I'll get one of those sooner or later, but I don't consider it a device for reading in the first place.
KernelPanic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying, comparision, ipad, kindle dx, wait