Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-05-2009, 10:10 PM   #1
Alfy
Liseur de Bonne Aventure
Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS T1
Unhappy I screwed up BIG TIME!

Hi everyone,

I hope someone will take the time to read this post, for I am at a complete loss...

I recently purchased a PRS-505 from a German supplier to replace my broken one. Silly me, I had not realised the PRS would be in German, nor that it would be tricky to change the language.

Looking on the forum, I found some ways to do just that, with PRSCustomizer, but it did not work (I got an error message concerning the firmware number). I then made a very stupid mistake: I deleted ALL the files on the reader, not just those from PRSCustomizer. Yes, it was dumb, but it was late and I was tired...

Now, everytime I switch on the reader, it says "Die Firmware wird aktualisert..." (the firmware is upgrading), but the message never leaves. Whe plugged into my Mac, the reader is not recognised anymore, so I can't flash it. I am at a loss as to what I can do. Please, I need !!!

Thanks in advance!
Alfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 11:12 PM   #2
Alfy
Liseur de Bonne Aventure
Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Additional info: when I plug the PRS 505 into my Mac, it starts the ebook software. The reader is recognised, but with written "error" instead of the name of the device. The software is definitely not upgrading the firmware. Ouch.
Advert
Old 10-05-2009, 11:35 PM   #3
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Our wiki has some advice:

Quote:
Recovering a brick
Note: Some have reported that this does not work. You may need to return your reader to Sony.

1. You're stuck at "Reader starting up"
2. Paperclip the reset button then slide the power toggle.
3. When the screen goes blank, quickly connect the PC usb cable.
The Reader should reboot and show the USB connect in a minute or so, then you can use the Sony Updater to reflash your Reader.
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/PRS505
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 11:38 PM   #4
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Also read this thread carefully:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44142

and this:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58459

also:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55666

Last edited by Patricia; 10-05-2009 at 11:55 PM.
Old 10-05-2009, 11:46 PM   #5
Patricia
Reader

And your original problem seems to be addressed from post 730-ish onward in this thread.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ter#post564021
Advert
Old 10-06-2009, 02:07 AM   #6
Alfy
Liseur de Bonne Aventure

Hi,

Thanks for your kind replies. I had read most of the posts, but not the "PRS-505 in Demo Mode -- How to exit??" one: the title did not sound helpful, but it brought success. Thanks again, you've unbricked my brand new PRS! (pfewww, dodeged a bullet!)
Old 10-06-2009, 07:09 AM   #7
Patricia
Reader

I'm glad that it worked, Alfy. What a relief for you.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:13 AM   #8
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
aïe aïe aïe, alfy ! it's been a bad time for you lately ! i'm glad you managed to get it fixed. hopefully from now on it will be calm waters !
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 08:59 PM   #9
Alfy
Liseur de Bonne Aventure

I hope so too! But jeez, ebooks are a mess. Without mobileread, I think I would have dropped the whole thing a long time ago!
Old 10-06-2009, 09:02 PM   #10
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
i know what you mean. when i got my 700, the first day (!!) i thought i broke it, by putting a >20mo rtf file on it (). in retrospect, possibly it was just taking a really long time to index, but all i saw was it was stuck on the loading screen for more than 30 minutes, not reacting to reboot... i almost cried. thank god for igorsk, he saved the day. there are a lot of things that can go wrong (especially when you don't know what you're doing yet).
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 09:09 PM   #11
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Viel Glück!
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 06:25 PM   #12
Sterf
Sterf began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
I'm about to order a PRS-505 from Germany too, since it's about 90€ cheaper there. I'm getting pretty confused though on how to change the language to English. I seem to sense that that PRSCustomizer thingie alone doesn't work? And if it does, how? I'm getting confused by reading the readme for that completely.

What are the exact steps for getting it from German to English? I'd like to not brick it first. Please help.
Sterf is offline   Reply With Quote