Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 04-01-2009, 01:41 AM   #1
HenryP
Enthusiast
HenryP began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505
Taken in by America April Fools' Day launch

Hello,
The non-fiction ebook 'Taken in by America' was launched on MobileRead, today, April Fools' Day. Despite much help from Patricia and others, I managed to post my message to the wrong forum so here it is in what I believe is the proper place to announce its coming.

There are three versions of the one text and they're uploaded respectively in epub, lrf, and mobi.

'Taken in by America' is an outsider's view of how the USA came to be as it is, of what makes the American tick.

Please contact me through MobileRead or via the website 'www.takeninbyamerica.com'

henry
HenryP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 03:32 AM   #2
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Sounds interesting Why not put up the first chapter as a sample, though? Personally, I'm not inclined to sign up for anything when I don't have any idea of what I'm getting. The incentive simply doesn't weigh up to going through a registering process, I'm sorry.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2009, 03:57 AM   #3
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
Sounds interesting Why not put up the first chapter as a sample, though? Personally, I'm not inclined to sign up for anything when I don't have any idea of what I'm getting. The incentive simply doesn't weigh up to going through a registering process, I'm sorry.
What Henry is announcing, aside from the website, is his uploading of the texts in three different formats here, at Mobileread. As he mentions, they are available in:
(The above are links to the relevant thread for each format in the Ebooks section of Mobileread)

So, sample away. No registering required. The above "Part One" is not an insignificant "sample", as you will see.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 04:17 AM   #4
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
What Henry is announcing, aside from the website, is his uploading of the texts in three different formats here, at Mobileread. As he mentions, they are available in:
(The above are links to the relevant thread for each format in the Ebooks section of Mobileread)

So, sample away. No registering required. The above "Part One" is not an insignificant "sample", as you will see.

Cheers,
Marc
That's great
I thought I had to go to the site - it wasn't clear to me that he had actually uploadeded them at MobileRead.
Old 04-02-2009, 03:42 AM   #5
HenryP
Enthusiast

Thanks for posting the message Ea, and thank you, Marc for explaining what I might have explained properly had I not been too hasty.
The registration form on www.takeninbyamerica.com was a late development that I asked the website group to include after I read some MobileRead forum advice provided to a member. It was suggested she capture the email addresses of those who downloaded free ebooks from her site in order to follow up if need be.
I put this to the website folk and they decided to seek info about the locale of those who downloaded. The idea, there, was to get some notion of which part of the world showed the most interest, if any.
They will remove the offending form, pronto.

Thanks again to both of you and I trust the ebook arrived intact with front cover, TOc and workable endnote references.

henry
Advert
Old 04-02-2009, 12:21 PM   #6
Ea
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryP View Post
Thanks for posting the message Ea, and thank you, Marc for explaining what I might have explained properly had I not been too hasty.
The registration form on www.takeninbyamerica.com was a late development that I asked the website group to include after I read some MobileRead forum advice provided to a member. It was suggested she capture the email addresses of those who downloaded free ebooks from her site in order to follow up if need be.
I put this to the website folk and they decided to seek info about the locale of those who downloaded. The idea, there, was to get some notion of which part of the world showed the most interest, if any.
They will remove the offending form, pronto.

Thanks again to both of you and I trust the ebook arrived intact with front cover, TOc and workable endnote references.

henry
I remember that suggestion for capturing email addresses. It's a good rule of thumb that if you want people to come and to stay at your web site, to make the barriers as low as possible. The higher people's incentive to registrate the more you can put to them, like a Internet banking for instance, and vice versa.

That doesn't mean you can't ask people for information or their email address, but I would suggest you make it optional - and make it clear that it is optional. I don't think I would mind giving out a little info about myself, but not everyone would. It's just my email address that I feel I give out enough already, and I'm not alone in that thinking - there exist services like this, to help people deal with the "problem": mailinator.com. So I commented to give you a heads up that it might be a problem. I don't understand why someone suggested it in the first place (in that other thread). Technically it's a good solution, but we are dealing with people here
Old 04-02-2009, 12:43 PM   #7
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Well, I got it, read the intro and skimmed the first couple of pages. I've got a feeling that after I read it, I might be angry with it. Broad cartoonish generalizations of Americans usually does that to me. I hope it lightens up and stops calling us "confidence men" quickly.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 04:16 AM   #8
HenryP
Enthusiast

Thanks, Ea, for your reply. I am grateful for your suggestions.
And, DixieGal, thanks for posting a response to TibA. I trust you've found that there's a little more to the story than the generalisations along the lines of "Americans have straight white teeth." They do but - from the point of view of the outsider.

henry