Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 07-24-2008, 09:09 PM   #1
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Universal Flasher 2.1 with PRS-505 support

Version 2.1, 2008/11/20

Changes from 2.0:
Support for PRS-505 UK firmware (1.2.00.18050).
Updated maximum image size for PRS-505.
Fixed issue: repeated reflashing of custom image could fail.

Included xmls are modified with the clock script.
originals.zip has the original unedited xml files for reference (should be useful for hack developers).
Attached Files
File Type: zip Universal_Flasher_2.0.zip (192.9 KB, 6932 views)
File Type: zip Universal_Flasher_2.1.zip (215.2 KB, 8203 views)
File Type: zip originals.zip (258.2 KB, 4471 views)

Last edited by igorsk; 11-19-2008 at 08:05 PM.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 09:16 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Thank you so much. Now the thing to do is to figure out the other hacks and apply them to the new firmware once I install the new firmware. The only hack I can see maybe not working is the icons.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2008, 09:24 PM   #3
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Will there be an option for Cyrillic fonts in the new flasher? (Please?)

JS, why do you think the modified icons might not work?
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 09:31 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMoze View Post

JS, why do you think the modified icons might not work?
Without having yet flashed my 505 to the new firmware, I'm guessing that there might be new icon(s) to go along with the new firmware. And this the original modified icons would need to be recreated. So until someone who can figure this out does so, I'm not risking it.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:50 PM   #5
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMoze View Post
Why not! If you remember how the universal flasher works, all you need to do is put those Cyrillic fonts into the FONT subdirectory, and ride. There is a ready-made image with Cyrillic fonts already built-in (can be burned with the method described on the-ebook.org site, just rename to new_opt.img, or with the Universal Flasher).
porkupan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2008, 10:00 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by porkupan View Post
Why not! If you remember how the universal flasher works, all you need to do is put those Cyrillic fonts into the FONT subdirectory, and ride. There is a ready-made image with Cyrillic fonts already built-in (can be burned with the method described on the-ebook.org site, just rename to new_opt.img, or with the Universal Flasher).
This image file, what hacks does it make besides a Russian font? And are you 100% sure it works with the new firmware version 1.1.00.18040?
Old 07-24-2008, 10:02 PM   #7
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
This image file, what hacks does it make besides a Russian font? And are you 100% sure it works with the new firmware version 1.1.00.18040?
This image only has Russian fonts, nothing else. I am 100% sure it works on 1.1.00.18040.

Having said that, I am also 100% sure that all the old hacks will work with the new FW. Perhaps not all of them will be needed though. One should not however take the hacked XML files from the previous versions of Firmware, and put them directly into this version, without careful diffing and merging. The modded icons will need one more icon (for trash can).

Last edited by porkupan; 07-24-2008 at 10:07 PM. Reason: need to add some words
Old 07-24-2008, 10:07 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by porkupan View Post
This image only has Russian fonts, nothing else. I am 100% sure it works on 1.1.00.18040.
Thank you for clarifying. I'm just trying to make sure of what hacks work on the new firmware and what don't.
Old 07-25-2008, 03:57 AM   #9
SurgE
Serial Bricker
SurgE doesn't litterSurgE doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3 KSO
Just wondering, is there a size limit to the img files? I tried adding chinese unicode fonts to the img and it came up to approx 8mb, after which i got prompted with an error:

"Error creating new cramfs image. Not enough space?"

edit: found the code refering to the optimg size. Is the size a hard limit?
SurgE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 05:00 AM   #10
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Yes, the size of the Fsk partition is limited. I don't remember the exact size on 505. I guess you could resize it by making some other partition smaller but that's rather complicated and risky.
However, in your case it could be the size of /tmp directory. You could try remeding it by replacing all instances of /tmp to /Data/tmp (both in .sh scripts and autorun.js).
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 07:25 AM   #11
porkupan
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
You could try remeding it by replacing all instances of /tmp to /Data/tmp (both in .sh scripts and autorun.js).
Igor, I don't think you can. After running mkdosfs /Data no longer supports symbolic links, so rebuilding the image in there is not going to be possible. You should stick with /tmp.
Old 07-25-2008, 07:52 AM   #12
Peto
Legal Alien
Peto doesn't litterPeto doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505/T1/Kindle PW2
Hello,

I am a little at a loss here.

What hacks go in the universal flasher?

If I want to add "futura mt light" I just need to rename it to one of the three in the readme file? How should I proceed then when producing my lrfs?

Are the extra buttons there or the universal flasher works like an OS for future hacks?

I know nothing about all this since I only used Wolf's hack. I'd appreciate some guidance or a redirection to somewhere I can read about all this.

Thanks guys, you sure are fast.
Peto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 09:59 AM   #13
avdim
avdim began at the beginning.

Device: Dell Axim 50v/Sony Reader
The attachment contains three fonts with Cyrillic support. They are somehow different from the package used in the-ebook.org builds. tt0419m_.ttf is the same font but the name is renamed from "Courier10 Win95BT" to standard "Courier10 BT", tt0003m_.ttf leaved intact and tt0011m_.ttf contains “Constantia” Vista font as a replacement for “Times New Roman”.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Sony Russian Fonts.zip (284.9 KB, 1661 views)
avdim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 10:36 AM   #14
electristan
newbie reader
electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: reMarkable, Boox T68, Kobo Mini, Nook STR, Sony PRS-505
Thanks so much for this, the readme helps a lot for those with questions. Going to flash with the new fonts when i get home and then get all comfy for the weekend
electristan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 11:01 AM   #15
JeffElkins
Guru
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E/HD, Kindle PW
Wonderful, thanks!

Just out of curiousity, could the flasher replace the reader application with another? For instance FBreader ported to the 505 instead of the Sony reader.
JeffElkins is offline   Reply With Quote