Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-14-2013, 10:22 AM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Is V.C. Andrews laughably horrible or horribly delicious?

I just picked up "Heaven," volume 1 in her Casteel series.

I realize that Andrew Neiderman has been continuing many of her series' titles, but the fact is that when V.C. Andrews was alive and well - and very popular - I didn't read her at all. I was aware of her reputation, since I worked in a bookstore.

In fact, I've never read anything by her whatsoever. I was intent on reading Stephen King and Brian Lumley (and I still do read them).

However, I now find myself starting to read "Heaven," - because I'm a maschochist for dubious writings - and find myself laughing when I should not be....is that bad?

This is all deliciously fun nonsense.

What's your take on her and on all those series she's written - even posthumously written - with the help of Neiderman.

Well, thar ye go. What's yore opin'in?

Don

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 04-14-2013 at 12:24 PM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 03:33 PM   #2
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
It was a guilty pleasure, way back when. I loved the Flowers in the Attic, and the entire series that followed. I read two or three more of "her" series', and then I gave up, as the stories didn't change a lot. I still re-read Flowers in the Attic occasionally.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2013, 07:48 PM   #3
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Not my cup of tea at all, but my sister is a big VC Andrews fan, way, way back when she read Flowers in the Attic at the age of 14. I even purchased her subsequent books in the series at that time.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:52 AM   #4
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
I read Flowers in the Attic within the past year or so. I was curious because I remember when those books were so popular. It was poorly enough written that I didn't really like it. I like the idea behind the book (kids being raised in an attic to keep them secret) but I wish someone else had the idea and wrote the books.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 01:42 PM   #5
LovesMacs
Fanatic
LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle Touch
I went through a phase when I absolutely loved Flowers in the Attic and the other books in that series.

I haven't read them since the age of 16 or so, but at the time something in them really grabbed me.
LovesMacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-15-2013, 02:41 PM   #6
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Well, I now find myself unable to get through it, it's so bad.

I'll try one more chapter and then I'll hang it out to dry with my dirty socks and underwear.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:07 PM   #7
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
I loved her books when I was 13 or 14.

Remembering how great they were, I picked up one a couple of years ago. Just a few pages into it I got embarrassed to think I ever took it seriously.
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:23 AM   #8
applesauce
Addict
applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle oasis
I read Flowers in the Attic. and those after it as a teen. I adored them then. But I am not silly enough to read one as an adult. I knew I was growing tired of her when I stopped. It is a bit like reading Anne Rice in my twenties, I so adored her but when going back to it now found it a chore.

applesauce
applesauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:05 PM   #9
TaraMcTiernan
Enthusiast
TaraMcTiernan can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TaraMcTiernan can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TaraMcTiernan can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TaraMcTiernan can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TaraMcTiernan can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TaraMcTiernan can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TaraMcTiernan can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TaraMcTiernan can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TaraMcTiernan can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TaraMcTiernan can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TaraMcTiernan can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: none
Me too

I admit I once loved V.C. Andrews, too. I was thirteen and obviously didn't have much taste! Still, adored the Flowers series and re-read those books plus My Sweet Audrina multiple times as a teen. I doubt I could read even a chapter now!
TaraMcTiernan is offline   Reply With Quote