Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 10-08-2007, 03:33 PM   #1
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
The update worked! My Cybook *is* un-bricked!

So I'll be writing that review I was mentioning now.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 03:33 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Glad you got it working again!
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2007, 03:49 PM   #3
jbenny
Addict
jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Tablet PC and Nokia N800
What did you do to un-brick it? We may need this knowledge later (hopefully not).
jbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 04:16 PM   #4
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenny View Post
What did you do to un-brick it? We may need this knowledge later (hopefully not).
It's quite simple. the tech wizards at Bookeen gave me a version of the updated firmware which forces a re-format of the firmware memory *before* installing itself. That flushed out all the badness I'd managed to put into my Cybook. It's *my* firmware update, I tell you. Mine! All mine! None of you can have any!!!

Derek
Old 10-08-2007, 04:22 PM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

In case it hadn't occurred to you, and I want to be helpful (and not at all because I'm an obnoxious git :wink2), you might want to consider testing any other "undocumented" formats via memory card, rather than loading them into main memory.
Advert
Old 10-08-2007, 04:30 PM   #6
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
In case it hadn't occurred to you, and I want to be helpful (and not at all because I'm an obnoxious git :wink2), you might want to consider testing any other "undocumented" formats via memory card, rather than loading them into main memory.
I'll keep that in mind. However, the good news is that the sample pdb files sent to me by the Wizards of Bookeen work flawlessly on the Cybook. I'll have to find out which software they used to create them.

Derek
Old 10-08-2007, 04:34 PM   #7
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
It's nice to hear that your device is working again! However, it's quite strange that a few books can stop the Gen3 from even booting properly...I guess that needs to be fixed urgently before release...
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 05:35 PM   #8
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderROR View Post
It's nice to hear that your device is working again! However, it's quite strange that a few books can stop the Gen3 from even booting properly...I guess that needs to be fixed urgently before release...
It's *VERY* strange. I must note that when I was converting txt, html and rtf files into pdb for my Axim's copy of eReader Pro, I used eReader's ebook studio software. I only took the plain-vanilla rtf copy of my 2006 entry into NaNo and ran it through BD with output of Palmreader Pro format pdb in order to test whether the current version of the firmware would open/read these files. I've never used BD to create pdbs before. And, no, I included *no* images into the file, nor any funny fonts. Plus the version of BD I was using was the 7/30/2007 update.

However, several sample pdb files sent to me by Bookeen have transferred and opened flawlessly. Both on the Cybook *AND* in eReader Pro on my x51v. Go figure. Note that last comment, the Cybook opens and reads PDB files. I'm tempted to download a set of ebooks in palm pdb from Usenet to see if they'll open if I put them on the SD card. (Note that I'm taking the advice of another poster and leaving the questionable files on the SD card rather than trying to transfer them to the Cybook.) I'll try tranferring my rtf file to the SD card as well.

And I'll be asking Bookeen which software they're using to create their PDB files.

Derek
Old 10-08-2007, 05:46 PM   #9
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
Note that last comment, the Cybook opens and reads PDB files.
There's PDB files and then there's PDB files -- as I understand it, the PDB part is only a wrapper, one could have a number of different file types inside it.

That, of course, begs the question of what kind of PDB files did Bookeen send you?

Anyone know enough about them to suggest a way to tell? 'Cause I don't.
Old 10-08-2007, 06:38 PM   #10
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
There's PDB files and then there's PDB files -- as I understand it, the PDB part is only a wrapper, one could have a number of different file types inside it.

That, of course, begs the question of what kind of PDB files did Bookeen send you?

I don't know which format they were. I only know that I'm staying away from BD's PDB output until I know which version works and which doesn't. I did take some time and download several pdbs from Usenet as a test. And they worked just fine on the SD card - able to see their titles and open/read them. Haven't tested any rtf files at this point.

Derek
Old 10-08-2007, 07:28 PM   #11
penty
Connoisseur
penty has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.penty has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.penty has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.penty has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: CyBook Gen3
I tried RTF the other day. No Luck, although Bookeen has stated it is a format they will add in the future.
penty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 07:29 PM   #12
mcdaniel
mcdaniel began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Derek,
Your mention of rtf files caught my attention. I thought that Bookeen's site said that their current software doesn't yet support rtf, but that it would be supported in the final/shipping version.
Robert
mcdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 07:33 PM   #13
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdaniel View Post
Derek,
Your mention of rtf files caught my attention. I thought that Bookeen's site said that their current software doesn't yet support rtf, but that it would be supported in the final/shipping version.
Robert
Their website also mentioned .pdb but the 0.91 firmware release that came installed on the Cybook didn't support it. As of 0.98, the firmware supports .pdb. I've got several .rtf files to play around with - all from Baen, which I'll be testing - using my SD card, of course.

Derek
Old 10-08-2007, 07:45 PM   #14
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:

Yes I know. But its a secret . Just kidding. I have documented it all on my web site in the ebook article. Hasn't everyone read it yet? I also placed in on the mobileread wiki so just look for PDB.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 09:11 PM   #15
jbenny
Addict
jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Tablet PC and Nokia N800
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
It's *my* firmware update, I tell you. Mine! All mine! None of you can have any!!!

Derek
The pressure must be getting to him
jbenny is offline   Reply With Quote