Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-09-2014, 09:06 AM   #1
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Heartbleed bug

Revenue Canada has shut down their internet services de to the heartbleed bug.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/menu-eng.html#msg

http://lifehacker.com/what-the-heart...you-1560801201

http://heartbleed.com/

More than a smidge scary

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 12:37 PM   #2
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
I'll say. It's always something!
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 12:47 PM   #3
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
A couple of sites that I visit regularly seem to be off the air at present. I don't know it it's directly because of Heartbleed, but it is quite possible.

Mike
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 04:43 PM   #4
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

I found that a lot of web sites that I normally visit daily were unreachable starting late afternoon; Pandora, Charles Schwab, . . . All were back online this morning though.
Old 04-10-2014, 12:16 AM   #5
49Kat
Fanatic
49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 9th Gen, iPhone 11, Paperwhite 10th Gen.
A member of the Malwarebytes message board posted a link regarding sites that had been tested for vulnerability. The results are here:

https://github.com/musalbas/heartble...er/top1000.txt

Interesting list. So far, I don't see anything that concerns me re sites I log in to. The list is not comprehensive, however, and not all the sites I deal with re finances are on that list either.

Just for funzies, I searched for adobe, and the list shows it is not vulnerable to the bug.

Yahoo...well, it is, from the look of things.
49Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 06:16 AM   #6
MickiTee
Guru
MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Pocketbook TL3, TL4, TL5
This from CNET this morning about protecting yourself http://www.cnet.com/news/how-to-prot...tag=CAD1acfa04
MickiTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 06:32 AM   #7
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Here's a site for checking present and past site vulnerability:

https://lastpass.com/heartbleed/
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 12:01 PM   #8
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49Kat View Post
A member of the Malwarebytes message board posted a link regarding sites that had been tested for vulnerability. The results are here:

https://github.com/musalbas/heartble...er/top1000.txt

Interesting list. So far, I don't see anything that concerns me re sites I log in to. The list is not comprehensive, however, and not all the sites I deal with re finances are on that list either.

Just for funzies, I searched for adobe, and the list shows it is not vulnerable to the bug.

Yahoo...well, it is, from the look of things.
The list you linked to might show some fixed sites. For example, Google, Amazon, and Facebook were all reported to be vulnerable yet this list shows them not to be. If they were vulnerable before a fix was made, people who used them are still at risk. So take that list with a grain of salt.
Old 04-10-2014, 01:00 PM   #9
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
The list you linked to might show some fixed sites. For example, Google, Amazon, and Facebook were all reported to be vulnerable yet this list shows them not to be. If they were vulnerable before a fix was made, people who used them are still at risk. So take that list with a grain of salt.
I haven't checked yet, but apparently the LastPass site gives you site history re:heartbleed vulnerability?
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 01:05 PM   #10
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
I haven't checked yet, but apparently the LastPass site gives you site history re:heartbleed vulnerability?
It does, and that is how I knew Amazon, Facebook, and Google had all been vulnerable in the past. I wouldn't get a false sense of relief about sites that are now safe if they were once vulnerable, assuming I used any of those sites and exchanged data with them. I have definitely used and have accounts with Amazon, Facebook, Google, and others and once I'm certain they have fixed the issues then I will change passwords. No need to change passwords until they are definitely fixed as that might keep you at risk.
Old 04-10-2014, 03:08 PM   #11
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
No need to change passwords until they are definitely fixed as that might keep you at risk.
'zactly.

Everybody's gotta do what helps them sleep better at night. I get that. But here's the three scenarios I currently see regarding Heartbleed:
  1. They already got my personal info and I'm already screwed--even if I change my password now.
  2. I changed my password in time, but the site hasn't been patched against Heartbleed and my personal info is still vulnerable.
  3. The site has already closed the Heartbleed hole, and I'm changing my password because it's just good practice.

Other than making sure my passwords aren't silly-simple, I've come to the realization that I really don't have a single bit of control over my own online "security."

Even if I had absolutely no online accounts, the companies, and financial institutions I did business with would still store my personal info in hackable databases. *shrug*

Last edited by DiapDealer; 04-10-2014 at 03:12 PM.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 03:54 PM   #12
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
It does, and that is how I knew Amazon, Facebook, and Google had all been vulnerable in the past. I wouldn't get a false sense of relief about sites that are now safe if they were once vulnerable, assuming I used any of those sites and exchanged data with them. I have definitely used and have accounts with Amazon, Facebook, Google, and others and once I'm certain they have fixed the issues then I will change passwords. No need to change passwords until they are definitely fixed as that might keep you at risk.
I thought for Amazon it wasn't their main website, but their other stuff like Amazon Web Services. So as a regular client that just buys a lot of stuff you're ok.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 04:02 PM   #13
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Mashable has a chart that's a little easier to read.

http://mashable.com/2014/04/09/heart...ites-affected/

I use LastPass and have been changing passwords as advised (sometimes you have to wait for sites to update their certificates).
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 04:13 PM   #14
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
'zactly.

Everybody's gotta do what helps them sleep better at night. I get that. But here's the three scenarios I currently see regarding Heartbleed:
  1. They already got my personal info and I'm already screwed--even if I change my password now.
  2. I changed my password in time, but the site hasn't been patched against Heartbleed and my personal info is still vulnerable.
  3. The site has already closed the Heartbleed hole, and I'm changing my password because it's just good practice.

Other than making sure my passwords aren't silly-simple, I've come to the realization that I really don't have a single bit of control over my own online "security."

Even if I had absolutely no online accounts, the companies, and financial institutions I did business with would still store my personal info in hackable databases. *shrug*
Yes that's about it. The only thing that I have done so far is to avoid logging onto yahoo until I'm sure that it's in the clear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Mashable has a chart that's a little easier to read.

http://mashable.com/2014/04/09/heart...ites-affected/

I use LastPass and have been changing passwords as advised (sometimes you have to wait for sites to update their certificates).
I find it funny that Target is on that list with a no [not impacted].
Old 04-10-2014, 04:23 PM   #15
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
Passwords are Stone Age technology. The sooner we get away from them, the better.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote