Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-09-2013, 03:22 PM   #181
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluribus View Post
Calibre has all of mine in folders.
Agreed. Of course, if someone really didn't like the folder organization of calibre's database, it's easily fixable -- save to disk with a custom template; so another win for just leaving calibre to do what it does best!!
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:35 AM   #182
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2013/09/...rwhite-review/

I have not read the thrad in a while. I apologize if this is old news. But the CNN article above says that they dealt with the lighting problems abd have a new lighting system.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:55 PM   #183
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
My first computer was one I built following instructions in Popular Mechanics magazine. My first commercial computer was a Radioshack TRS-80.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:12 PM   #184
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2013/09/...rwhite-review/

I have not read the thrad in a while. I apologize if this is old news. But the CNN article above says that they dealt with the lighting problems abd have a new lighting system.
I always find it foolish when reviews have titles such as these:

"The best e-reader is about to get even better."

The Kindle Paperwhite (1) is a good e-reader, but I can think of about half a dozen things at least, that one or more readers do better:

- Font options (Kobo)
- More storage space (Basically everyone)
- SD-Card, despite having more storage space (Basically everyone)
- Smaller (Kobo Aura)
- EPUB support (Everyone; granted, Calibre nullifies that to great extent)
- More languages for the GUI of the reader
- Dictionaries available in more languages
- Better support through Calibre, such as managing folders and collections (Amazon seems to actively work against this)

The fact that Kobo's customer support and software stability (and waste of space) have a bad name and Sony still does not have a lighted e-reader are the cause of me having a Kindle. All other manufacturers can only be had in the Netherlands through two stores that specialize in e-readers and the devices are as expensive, if not more expensive than the KPW and Kobo's because of import costs (and because the seller has to cover the warranty and arrange swaps or repairs with remote sellers in other countries).

If the Kindle could:
1. Get Kobo's customization options
2. Get an SD-Card slot
3. Work together with Calibre (at least, Amazon quitting to work against this)

THEN it would be the best e-reader, bar none, hands down. Because of Calibre, I'm waiving EPUB support; as long as Calibre can convert from EPUB into the reader's native format, and do it well, I don't really care about the format the reader uses.

Last edited by Katsunami; 09-11-2013 at 09:17 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:16 AM   #185
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Agreed on the best ever thing. That is not why I posted the article. I love my Kindles but am not that much of a fan girl. I would love it if the Kindle could read e-Pub, tied into Calibre better, and was a bit more customizable. I don't care about the sd-slot (I now this is important for other folks). But those are things that I think are more important to people on a site like this and not to most people.

I found the discussion of the improved light to be of most interest. It seems like a throw away which surprises me given that a good number of people had problems with the lighting on the PW1. I would have thought Amazon would have hyped "We know there was a problem, we changed the lighting in response to that problem." The screen, and its issues, are far more important to most folks.
Old 09-12-2013, 02:53 PM   #186
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
I personally don't find any of those of value, (except calibre) although I understand you and others do -- as far as I'm concerned, if calibre was just able to control the collections, the Kindle would be perfect. It's the only thing really lacking.

I have never needed more than 300 books on at any one time -- granted, this may change in the hypothetical reality where I ever finish my TBR, which remains at about 50 no matter how many of them I read. I kind of like the simplicity of reading on the Kindle. I've never even been tempted to switch the default to one of the two other Kindle fonts, because I can already read it beautifully.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 03:12 PM   #187
Lyn2012
Addict
Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPhone 8, iPad Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
If the Kindle could:
1. Get Kobo's customization options
2. Get an SD-Card slot
3. Work together with Calibre (at least, Amazon quitting to work against this)
I'm with you on this, until it happens (probably never) I won't be buying another Kindle.
Lyn2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:26 PM   #188
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:

I found the discussion of the improved light to be of most interest. It seems like a throw away which surprises me given that a good number of people had problems with the lighting on the PW1. I would have thought Amazon would have hyped "We know there was a problem, we changed the lighting in response to that problem." The screen, and its issues, are far more important to most folks.
I think it was a very small problem discussed very much on MR.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:55 PM   #189
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

It was discussed on Kindle Boards and other sites as well.
Old 09-12-2013, 07:09 PM   #190
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Quote:
It was discussed on Kindle Boards and other sites as well.
I got the impression that the vast majority were very satisfied with the light, and problems were much less prevalent than on the Nook Glowlight. Still, improvements are good.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 02:02 AM   #191
rkw
Old & Busted Hotness
rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0,Asus TF700T, K1-2-3-Fire
I just couldn't read anymore whinging & whining about "folders" (aka.... directories but that is a pointless bit of semantics which devolved as the GUI became the standard) vs. tags/keywords.

It's downright funny those who truly believe "folders"and tags are different.... they the same thing... just a different indexing methodology used to organize stored content for retrieval. Directories as simply database indexes using a keyword to tag (group) files together nothing more nothing less....tags are the same thing.

Directories are tags(or keywords if you prefer) which are part of a daisy-chain, linked-list or nested keywords depending on your philosophical bent.

How those indexes are implemented can vary but to any developer the implementation variations matter not one single "bit". In fact there is not a single valid reason to force users one direction or the other there's only personal preference because both work fine. They work even better used in tandem - - personal preference of course.

If the OS is geared to a tag style any developer can code up a file manager or even OS shell to sit on-top of the OS to add a more ridged directory based access" or vice-a-versa.

For a simple example that might help the file system challenged or more likely my ham-fisted description:

Click image for larger version

Name:	edyha8yz.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	135.6 KB
ID:	110962
[Click to enlarge.]

What I'm getting at is the only reason people are being forced to choose one on the other is due to lazy design teams in bed with bean counters off-shoring development toihe lowest bidder. There are enough wheezes-geezers like me here who know this...and yes I used some broad strokes but in this case it's fine.

Oh, and DOS refers to pretty much ALL PC operating systems... yes even Apple, Microsoft, Linux, Unix or Whatever... DOS has nothing to do with any specific company.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 09-13-2013 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Change oversize graphic in quoted post to conform with guidelines.
rkw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 03:53 AM   #192
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by taosaur View Post
I got the impression that the vast majority were very satisfied with the light, and problems were much less prevalent than on the Nook Glowlight. Still, improvements are good.
I found out about the light after I bought my PW a couple of months ago. I was surprised that it had not been discussed outside the Kindle group here. I would have expected it to appear in News of General.

My PW1 have uneven light at the bottom which is annoying but I have learned to ignore it.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 07:28 AM   #193
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

It was discussed here, I remember the posts. I think it was moved to Kindle because it was about the Kindle.