Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-19-2006, 06:18 AM   #1
Henrycat
Zealot
Henrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Voyage
Talking iRex to present the iLiad reader at Artec in Portugal

iRex will be presenting the iLiad e-book reader at Artec (27 April only), an annual conference held by the students of Technologies and Graphical Arts from the Polytechnic Institute of Tomar (which happens to be my former school btw).

I have been in contact with the people from iRex for the last two years (when they were still only Phillips personnel), and I have just received the final confirmation from Mr. Alex Henzen of iRex that he'll come to this year's Artec to present the reader device, including the IDS service, etc.

So I hope to be able to buy a unit directly from the source. If anyone has specific questions let me know and I will try to get the answers - and do some videos perhaps!

Last edited by Henrycat; 04-19-2006 at 10:18 AM.
Henrycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 06:25 AM   #2
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
simple question...

when?

Oh sorry...I found it...26th-28th of April.

I sent an email to iRex asking them when the Iliad will launch and didn't get a straight answer...as expected...I dimply can't understand why the business guys these can't simple say "our device will ship on xx.xx.xxxx and that's it and then ship it!!!
Dammit!!!

It's now well into the second half of April, and if they really are planning to hold to their schedule, they'd have to know exactly when they are going to ship by now, so why not tell people?
I simply love ahem loathe this practise...announce a product for april, everybody is waiting till the last day of April, and then two weeks into May they suddenly say "Will ship in July" or something withot apology, explanation or anything.
Some companies even delay by years...suddenly a product just unexplicably isn't finished...even one year later, although you promised to release it on September 22 or something and held to that date, claiming it to be 100% accurate until it's over and there has been a "slight delay" of about a year and a half...look at Half-Life 2...

I sure hope this isn't going to happen to iRex...but I'm no longer sure...

Last edited by CommanderROR; 04-19-2006 at 06:32 AM.
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-19-2006, 06:59 AM   #3
TaKir
Keine Ursache! ))
TaKir is on a distinguished road

Device: Lbook V8 & V3_Vizplex
There is an info (not confirmed yet) Irex has problems with his hardware supplier/producer...
TaKir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 08:02 AM   #4
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

where did you find this info?
Old 04-19-2006, 11:11 AM   #5
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaKir
There is an info (not confirmed yet) Irex has problems with his hardware supplier/producer...
If true, that could also explain the delay for the Sony Reader.
Laurens is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-19-2006, 12:04 PM   #6
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Let's hope not. A shortage in E Ink displays could postpone the release of any of the upcoming e-book readers ;(
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 12:10 PM   #7
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPod Touch
Wouldn't be surprised. All of a sudden three new e-ink devices come out at once. One from a major vendor, Sony.
Laurens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 06:17 AM   #8
CommanderROR
eink fanatic

any new on this subject?
Old 04-20-2006, 09:58 AM   #9
Henrycat
Zealot
Henrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderROR
any new on this subject?
Well i was told the devices will start selling this month, although they might have limited functions.

Seems they are having some trouble saving the notes you write in some programs.

No prob for me, i'll just update the device when they get it to start working.

Has long has i can read anything i won't
Old 04-20-2006, 10:14 AM   #10
Gameboy70
Connoisseur
Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, 3rd Gen iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurens
If true, that could also explain the delay for the Sony Reader.
I think the Sony Reader is ready to ship, in terms of its hardware. Unlike most consumer electronics companies, Sony actually manufactures their own products (i.e. they might have offshore facitilities with workers getting far below Japanese wages, but they're not subcontracting). The delay probably has more to due with their hardships in getting major publishers cast their lot with Connect. Sony have promised 10,000 titles, and losing publishers like HarperCollins means more legwork to fill the void.
Gameboy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 07:44 AM   #11
Branko Collin
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrycat
No prob for me, i'll just update the device when they get it to start working.
From what I was given to understand, the device will do that by itself.
Old 04-27-2006, 04:26 AM   #12
CommanderROR
eink fanatic

@henrycat

please let us know how it went when you return from ARTEC!

Maybe you can then tell us why there has been no launch so far...^^
Old 04-27-2006, 04:52 PM   #13
CommanderROR
eink fanatic

dammit...the last day opf April is almost here, the presentation at ARTEC should be over and we are still not wiser...dammit...

sorry...

*sigh*

I hate waiting for godot...^^
Old 04-28-2006, 06:16 PM   #14
Henrycat
Zealot

Sorry for the delay but my internet connection has been down lately for some reason...

And of course i have been "playing" with my Iliad (it's just a "permanent loan" so no $$ spent )

For the same image, but really big:
http://listcomics15.com.sapo.pt/2.JPG

You can also check the box, and compare with the screen from my Librie

I'm sorry but i don't really have much time right now. Tomorrow i should be able to write something up, if not, definately sunday :P

Some food for tought
- read pdfs without convertion straight fro my CF card, and my usb pen (didn't even know it could od that)
- auto conversion of color pics to grayscale
- Html file is one page, which you can "flip" down (it's an actual mobileread page in the pic )

Does anyone know how to save an html page to xhtml so it keeps the images?

Also does anyone here know apabi software reader? It seems it will be one of the main comercial readers.

Right, about the delay:
- some problems with the site mainly due to payment autorization, verification.
- The company making the core linux OS is late with a "final" version
- The reader for pdf works perfectly (except saving progress) but not quickly (no precaching for instance)
- The company is still waiting for other readers to be delivered (expected this first week of may)

- Hardware is ok (same for manufacture), mainly software delays

cya soon
Old 04-28-2006, 06:42 PM   #15
CommanderROR
eink fanatic

cool...exactly what I had been hoping for...
congrats!

I'm looking forward to your "review"