Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-23-2018, 10:32 PM   #1
LDB
Baker Street Irregular
LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PaperWhite 5, Aura One, Glowlight Plus, Scribe, Sage
Question From computer to Aura One???

I'm less than one week into my Kobo adventure so I don't know anything yet. This is probably super simple but I'm stuck.

I clicked a link here to download a book, the Professor Challenger by Conan Doyle. It's in my downloads folder. I have a Surface Pro 4.

I first just copied it to the Koboereader/kobo/kepub folder but when I did a sync it didn't show up.

Then I went into Calibre and selected it and clicked the 'convert books' button. When it finished I copied it to that same folder but it still doesn't show up.

I'm not sure what to try next to get it into the A1 and ready to read. Any and all advice appreciated.
LDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 10:53 PM   #2
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Connect the Kobo TO the PC! Then from Calibre use the Drop down Pick> Send to Kobo
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 12:19 AM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDB View Post
I first just copied it to the Koboereader/kobo/kepub folder but when I did a sync it didn't show up.
That is the problem. That folder, actually ".kobo/kepub" is for books downloaded from the Kobo server. The device does not scan this folder for sideloaded books. Put it somewhere else. Just about anywhere else will work so long as the directory name doesn't start with a dot. Or, as Barbara1955 said, use the "Send to device" in calibre. The driver will put it in a place on the device that will work. Plus make sure the file name is valid.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 12:53 AM   #4
LDB
Baker Street Irregular
LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The Calibre I have does not have "Pick" anywhere that I can find it. I also can't find "Send to Kobo" anywhere on any of the menus.

I copied it to the root D: Kobo directory and it showed up just fine though. Thank you both for your help.
Old 09-24-2018, 01:48 AM   #5
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
The Calibre I have does not have "Pick" anywhere that I can find it. I also can't find "Send to Kobo" anywhere on any of the menus.
That's all you do from Calibre, just Send to Device. In the older readers (that still have SD Cards, you can choose Send to Device, or Send to Card (not sure of the exact terminology right now) but there's never a specific directory to choose. (If I remember right, it just goes under the folder "Books" in the main (root) directory.)
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 05:22 AM   #6
forster01
Groupie
forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Aura HD, Kindle, Amazon Fire HD
Quote:

I copied it to the root D: Kobo directory and it showed up just fine though. Thank you both for your help.
i think she meant right click in the calibre on the book and from the dropdown list "click (choose/pick) 'send to device' ". it will create writer name directory (folder), on the kobo, and within that folder epub with metadata.

also you can create your own folder on kobo root naming it whatever you want, and then you can copy/paste epub, kobo.kepub, or whatever from your hard drive to that folder.

Last edited by forster01; 09-24-2018 at 05:28 AM.
forster01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 05:26 AM   #7
forster01
Groupie
forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Aura HD, Kindle, Amazon Fire HD
to make it easier for you, start clibre and then connect kobo to the PC, you will see then that new button 'device' is crated on the calibre.

Last edited by forster01; 09-24-2018 at 05:30 AM.
forster01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 10:10 AM   #8
LDB
Baker Street Irregular

Ah, thank you. Yes, starting Calibre first does it. I appreciate all the help. Folks are not as friendly and helpful on some forums, sad to say. Thanks again.
Old 09-24-2018, 07:34 PM   #9
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Ah, thank you. Yes, starting Calibre first does it.
It shouldn't matter whether you start calibre first or connect the device first. As soon as calibre detects the device, it will fetch the book details and change the interface to show the appropriate options. While I usually have calibre running, I do it the other way often enough that I don't think there are any issues with it.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 03:39 AM   #10
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
It shouldn't matter whether you start calibre first or connect the device first. As soon as calibre detects the device, it will fetch the book details and change the interface to show the appropriate options. While I usually have calibre running, I do it the other way often enough that I don't think there are any issues with it.

I don't think there was an issue. As I understand it, it was only a matter of identifying which menus/icons were applicable, and having the device connect later made it clear as the applicable icons appeared upon device connection.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote