Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-20-2018, 02:06 AM   #1
jlemonde
Enthusiast
jlemonde is a splendid one to beholdjlemonde is a splendid one to beholdjlemonde is a splendid one to beholdjlemonde is a splendid one to beholdjlemonde is a splendid one to beholdjlemonde is a splendid one to beholdjlemonde is a splendid one to beholdjlemonde is a splendid one to beholdjlemonde is a splendid one to beholdjlemonde is a splendid one to beholdjlemonde is a splendid one to behold

Device: Kobo Clara HD
What is the point of the Facebook connection in Kobo?

Is it only possible to share a quote to one's own public wall? That's a joke, isn't it?
jlemonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 03:06 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Personally, I think the question should be, "What is the point of the Facebook?", but I know a lot of people love it.

As to the Kobo integration, yes, I think that is what it does. It possibly also includes the percent read of the book and might allow you to post at the end. Kobo's FAQ entry has:
Quote:
You can post quotes, comments, or even just share that you’ve started or finished a book to your Facebook timeline from your eReader.
And I'm curious to why you think that is a joke. To me, it seems like a thing that people would want to do. That plus a "I'm reading xxxxx by yyyyy" is what I would expect to be posted. What more should it be?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 04:26 AM   #3
jlemonde
Enthusiast
jlemonde is a splendid one to beholdjlemonde is a splendid one to beholdjlemonde is a splendid one to beholdjlemonde is a splendid one to beholdjlemonde is a splendid one to beholdjlemonde is a splendid one to beholdjlemonde is a splendid one to beholdjlemonde is a splendid one to beholdjlemonde is a splendid one to beholdjlemonde is a splendid one to beholdjlemonde is a splendid one to behold

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Personally, I think the question should be, "What is the point of the Facebook?", but I know a lot of people love it.
I completely agree with you on this sarcasm I dislike Facebook. I only thought it could be a way to share a read article or a read quote in a book to a specific person, which would be great since I often think to specific people which would be interested by the things I read -- and I'm by far not the only one. Specific also implies that I do not necessarily want to share with every one.

So I thought I could choose whom I send the quote to. But apparently, this is not implemented...

An e-reader is a basically book, though. Electronic and connected, but it has the purpose of a book. The only little amazing enhancement there should be is a way to properly share what you read, and start a discussion about it (even if the chat is going to continue on another platform, afterwards).
jlemonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 02:12 PM   #4
Amon_Re
Zealot
Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Poketbook Inkpad 3 & Boyue Likebook Minas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlemonde View Post
Is it only possible to share a quote to one's own public wall? That's a joke, isn't it?
What facebook connection? Where? How? Why? When? I've never seen anything regarding facebook on my Kobo A1
Amon_Re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 03:29 PM   #5
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amon_Re View Post
What facebook connection? Where? How? Why? When? I've never seen anything regarding facebook on my Kobo A1
I don't know what it does, but if I go to my Accounts under Settings, I have the option to login to Facebook. I don't do anything on Facebook, nor do I understand the point of "social reading" in general. (One thing I don't like about the new Kindles is you can't delete GoodReads, though you don't have to use it.)
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 05:25 PM   #6
Lusephur
Connoisseur
Lusephur can read faster than his screen refreshesLusephur can read faster than his screen refreshesLusephur can read faster than his screen refreshesLusephur can read faster than his screen refreshesLusephur can read faster than his screen refreshesLusephur can read faster than his screen refreshesLusephur can read faster than his screen refreshesLusephur can read faster than his screen refreshesLusephur can read faster than his screen refreshesLusephur can read faster than his screen refreshesLusephur can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Forma
Wonder if it's possible to patch out the facebook bit altogether.
Lusephur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 07:42 PM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusephur View Post
Wonder if it's possible to patch out the facebook bit altogether.
Is there really a point in doing that? It is so unobtrusive that @Amon_Re never noticed it was there. Just don't sign into Facebook on the device and it doesn't do anything.
Old 09-21-2018, 03:08 AM   #8
Amon_Re
Zealot
Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Poketbook Inkpad 3 & Boyue Likebook Minas
Quote:
Is there really a point in doing that? It is so unobtrusive that @Amon_Re never noticed it was there. Just don't sign into Facebook on the device and it doesn't do anything.
I am kind of curious when it got added though
Amon_Re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 03:38 AM   #9
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amon_Re View Post
I am kind of curious when it got added though
I think is has always been there. I did a search here and found a reference to it in a thread about firmware 1.9.14. I'm not sure if that is exactly the same function, but I don't remember a time when the Facebook option hasn't been on the selection popup menu.
Old 09-21-2018, 11:56 AM   #10
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I only noticed the Facebook connection when I got my first Kobo reader, the Glo, and was playing with the awards. One of the awards involves Facebook (and I agree, what's the point of Facebook, let alone Facebook on Kobo readers), so I made a dummy account and signed in just for the award. And then after a short time I realized how you lose all awards, when you need to do a factory reset, switch to another reader, etc. I came to my senses realizing that their awards are nothing more than an endless game trying to earn them, and could get extremely frustrating and annoying real quick when they all poofed. So I disabled them and never looked back.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 04:50 AM   #11
Lusephur
Connoisseur
Lusephur can read faster than his screen refreshesLusephur can read faster than his screen refreshesLusephur can read faster than his screen refreshesLusephur can read faster than his screen refreshesLusephur can read faster than his screen refreshesLusephur can read faster than his screen refreshesLusephur can read faster than his screen refreshesLusephur can read faster than his screen refreshesLusephur can read faster than his screen refreshesLusephur can read faster than his screen refreshesLusephur can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Yes there is, get rid of facebook and any entry point for it's data sucking tentacles. All aboard the Pequod, let's harpoon that m****rf****r!!!!
Lusephur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 05:17 AM   #12
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
It's simple, don't use toxic Facebook or setup the account.
It's totally sad how Nook, Kobo, Kindle support stupid connections, but not even one outgoing email account, or a user defined URL. Some other ebooks with NOTHING, no export.
BBC also I think is in breach of Charter using Twitter and Facebook. They have no shortage of their own sites, though closed their HHGTTG wiki like site.

The Facebook setting annoyed me, but I just ignore it. At least with Calibre the Kobo offers the best support of all eReaders to export per book comments/annotations, highlights etc with full highlight, title, chapter and % in chapter. Some ereaders and apps have no export support AT ALL! The Kindle DXG is pathetic with single myclippings.txt

I tried setting up the Nook "sharing" by registering a 2nd Nook account and "friending it". Doesn't enable eMail, unless I'm doing it wrong. I think it only works with a 2nd Nook. That's stupid.

There are also DRM/Copyright concerns as to why some apps & ereaders are so pathetic at "sharing" stuff. These should not apply if text is DRM free. Libraries, colleges and schools etc police their own copiers.
No-one polices industrial scanners and home copiers. The DRM and anti-piracy stuff is a total fail anyway. Industrial pirates usually get an ARC (paper or electronic). If paper, they crop off binding and load an industrial scanner for document archive. Google helps by encouraging PDF for their Google Books/Playstore books, which are full of pirated texts. Google also "pirates" themselves anything THEY deem as orphaned, as well has their dubious mainline book archive scheme (not fit people to be allowed as they are an Advertising company exploiting the contents to improve their search).
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 12:10 PM   #13
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
I agree. The only time I notice Facebook is when I'm looking at my account page and it's extremely easy not to log into it.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote