Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 06:58 PM   #2416
kneon
kneon began at the beginning.

Device: Pantech tablet
Hi,

I have not been able to update or even download new from Fanfic.com for a few days. I am updated on all updates on Calibre

Thank you

Status
Title
Author
Comment
URL

Bad
Gardenia
Judy1998
<urlopen error [Errno 10060] A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond>
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/9855608/1/

Last edited by kneon; 02-09-2014 at 07:29 PM.
Old 02-09-2014, 08:59 PM   #2417
DawnB2
DawnB2 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I've been using FFDL for a few months. At random times when I use the Update if New Chapters it will download the newest chapters & for some unknown reason the existing chapters will become blank. I don't get an error & it happens entirely random. I have download chapters for different stories fine 4 times then the 5th will have this problem. Its not specific stories either. I can download a new chapter for 1 story fine, then the next time it will blank out old chapters, then the next time it will be fine again etc...

I only download from FanFiction.net & only 1 story at a time/per day.

Today I downloaded Chapter 7 for a story & when I opened the epub chapters 1-6 were now blank. I had to re-download the whole story again.

Is there anyway to fix this issue? I'd rather not have to download the whole story each time a chapter is added.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:17 AM   #2418
Firedancer885
Occassional Beta Tester
Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 (wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmXinu View Post

Attached is a test version that adds an additional option on the Generate Cover page to call Polish to inject/update the cover inside the ebook, but only for EPUBs.
Thank you very much I had to manually call polish books every time I downloaded new books and it always popped up the options window. This is much much better.
Old 02-10-2014, 10:59 AM   #2419
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite(10th)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnB2 View Post
I've been using FFDL for a few months. At random times when I use the Update if New Chapters it will download the newest chapters & for some unknown reason the existing chapters will become blank. I don't get an error & it happens entirely random. I have download chapters for different stories fine 4 times then the 5th will have this problem. Its not specific stories either. I can download a new chapter for 1 story fine, then the next time it will blank out old chapters, then the next time it will be fine again etc...

I only download from FanFiction.net & only 1 story at a time/per day.

Today I downloaded Chapter 7 for a story & when I opened the epub chapters 1-6 were now blank. I had to re-download the whole story again.

Is there anyway to fix this issue? I'd rather not have to download the whole story each time a chapter is added.
That's rather odd. Are you doing anything to the epubs in between? Converting, Polishing, editing? Have you customized your CSS or HTML in FFDL's personal.ini?

There are a few things you could do to help figure this out.

Next time you go to do updates, run calibre from a command line as "calibre-debug -g", then after you see this problem again, copy the debug output from the command line window and post it here.

It would be helpful for me to see one of the epubs with blank chapters. Next time it happens, please save the epub and post it here or some where else I can see it.

It would be even more helpful for me to see the epub before the problem happens, too. But to do that, you'd have to save a copy before updating every time.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:06 PM   #2420
uten
uten began at the beginning.

Device: iPad 4
Having problems with getting fanfiction.net to use their 'covers'.

I added this to personal.ini

[www.fanfiction.net]
never_make_cover: false

What other settings need to be ticked/unticked? No matter what, I'm getting a cover that is just the title and summary text.

Thanks.
Old 02-10-2014, 02:31 PM   #2421
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uten View Post
Having problems with getting fanfiction.net to use their 'covers'.

I added this to personal.ini

Code:
[www.fanfiction.net]
never_make_cover: false
Looks like that's broken right now. The attached version fixes it.

You also need to check "Include images in EPUBs" on the FFDL Basic tab or add the equivalent lines in personal.ini (see the tooltip).

UPDATE Feb 16, 2014 - Remove obsolete beta versions

Last edited by JimmXinu; 02-16-2014 at 04:03 PM. Reason: Remove obsolete beta versions
Old 02-11-2014, 02:38 AM   #2422
uten
uten began at the beginning.

Device: iPad 4
Thanks for the fix. It works great now!
Old 02-12-2014, 02:16 PM   #2423
Eternal Link
Eternal Link began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Fanfiction.net

i can no longer download anything from fanfiction.net, i have the latest release and everything, could you please help me?

Status
Title
Author
Comment
URL
Bad
Unknown
Unknown
<urlopen error [Errno 10060] A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond>
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/6035532/1/

Last edited by Eternal Link; 02-12-2014 at 02:18 PM. Reason: forgot some info
Old 02-12-2014, 02:32 PM   #2424
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Link View Post
i can no longer download anything from fanfiction.net, i have the latest release and everything, could you please help me?
Lots of people have been asking that lately. I've made an FAQ for this issue. It says:

Quote:
Why am I having errors downloading from fanfiction.net?

The site fanfiction.net has apparently implemented a throttling system that blocks requests from users who make too many hits to their servers. The value of 'too many' is not known, but appears to be around 12-15 downloads in short period of time.

Adding slow_down_sleep_time in your personal.ini for fanfiction.net can help keep you from being blocked at the expensive of slower downloads. We don't know anyway to get unblocked but to wait.

Code:
[fanfiction.net]
slow_down_sleep_time:2
The next version is going to contain a longer value for slow_down_sleep_time for fanfiction.net by default.
Old 02-12-2014, 06:20 PM   #2425
Eternal Link

sorry

im sorry to be posting again, but i tried your suggestion and it downloaded the metadata but after 50 minutes on the only book i wanted to download it failed again, this is the error,
Status
Title
Author
Comment
URL
Error
Souls Abound
robst
<urlopen error [Errno 110] Connection timed out>
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/6035532/1/
sorry if i am being a nusiance
Old 02-12-2014, 07:14 PM   #2426
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Link View Post
im sorry to be posting again, but i tried your suggestion and it downloaded the metadata but after 50 minutes on the only book i wanted to download it failed again, this is the error,
This isn't a quick fix. Once ffnet is blocking you, it will take an unknown length of time (possibly days) before you are unblocked.

The additional sleep time is to keep you from getting blocked in the first place.
Old 02-13-2014, 07:41 PM   #2427
Eternal Link

okay

thanks for the info, ill wait a few days then try again, until then
Old 02-15-2014, 10:19 AM   #2428
tykobrian
tykobrian began at the beginning.

Device: Symphony w35 (android)
Exclamation Download book cover from fanfiction.net

I'm sorry if this has been discussed before but how can I download the original book covers along with the story from the site fanfiction.net? So far only the epub downloads but no cover page.

PS: I have the generate cover plugin installed
Old 02-15-2014, 10:36 AM   #2429
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tykobrian View Post
I'm sorry if this has been discussed before but how can I download the original book covers along with the story from the site fanfiction.net? So far only the epub downloads but no cover page.

PS: I have the generate cover plugin installed
Well, if you'd read up the page a bit, you'd have found this posting that explains it.

Generate Cover doesn't matter for downloaded covers.

FYI, I plan to release a new version with that fix today if you don't want to figure out the manual plugin install.
Old 02-15-2014, 10:56 AM   #2430
tykobrian
tykobrian began at the beginning.

Device: Symphony w35 (android)
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmXinu View Post
Well, if you'd read up the page a bit, you'd have found this posting that explains it.

Generate Cover doesn't matter for downloaded covers.

FYI, I plan to release a new version with that fix today if you don't want to figure out the manual plugin install.
Thanks for the help. I entered the lines in persona.ini and now a cover is provided with the ebook. But the thing is it's a custom cover, not the cover provided in the ffn site with the story. Please see the attached image.

Is it possible to download the original book cover which is provided in the site (ffn)using this plugin? I remember the site flagfic could attach the original cover back when they were allowed to download from ffn. Donno if they used this plugin though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cover.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	119117  
Closed Thread