Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-24-2009, 04:22 PM   #1
menelic
Enthusiast
menelic began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS T2
Let's make Irex sell the DR800SG in Europe from October

The DR800SG seems the best eReader out there for academic use. Irex seems to be strong on pdf and provides great note taking features - this makes the new reader highly attractive for students, lecturers and researchers. I am sure there is a sizeable customer base in Europe that needs these same use cases. So lets link up and make Irex sell their new reader in Europe from October! Since teh Quallcomm 3G connectivity enables global functionality, the device they're selling in the US is identical to what thee y will launch in Europe some time later. Why wait for them to finalise 3G negotiations which they claim they're starting at Frankfurt Book Fair in October only? Having read up on previous Irex readers and having tried the Sony 600 as well as the pocketbook 302 at IFA it seems the DR800SG is the reader to go for academic use. Lets make Irex - a Dutch company - sell their product in Europe from October - and be it per mail order from NL!

How could this be done? I Suggest we start a posting blitz here

http://i-to-i.irexnet.com/2009/09/23...ader/#comments

and also email them and/ or invite their representative to post here directly in response to people who want the DR800SG s features in Europe now without having to wait for 3G plans agreed in half of the EU before roll out.

lets make it happen!
menelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 05:06 PM   #2
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
FYI - The DR800SG will have no note taking ability.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2009, 05:23 PM   #3
Who are you?
Groupie
Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 505
Irex has already said they will make announcements this year on countries in Europe that get the Irex, and they are currently negotiating with providers.

The 800 will have note taking in the future, but the software is not yet finished.
Who are you? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 05:29 PM   #4
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Vodafone are one of the owners of Verizon, so here's hoping that connection can speed things up as far as a european release of the device.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 05:36 PM   #5
menelic
Enthusiast
menelic began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS T2
Just to clarify the idea: I know that negotiations are underway, but I fear the diversity of the European mobile data infrastructure might slow things down unnecessarily. I'd like Irex to start selling the device from their website from October. I am sure there are people who would like to use the device asap and are happy to go without 3G offers for a few month.

let me know what you think - and even more important, let Irex know!
menelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2009, 05:01 AM   #6
Seventh Son
lurker
Seventh Son has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Seventh Son has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Seventh Son has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Seventh Son has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: I should probably stop
As if this is the last device on Earth I don't care, sorry. Don't see any use for 3G on a reader. Wacom tech doesn't really appeal to me on anything other than a tablet. And having to use a special stylus while on the go doesn't seem all that convenient.
Seventh Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 06:00 AM   #7
Jumpn Jack Flash
Lazy Git
Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.

Device: iRex DR800S
I assume that Verzion is subsiding the device in some manner and that is what irex is trying to get in europe. Now I cannot set that happening so they may have to sell at a higher price on this side of the pond.

Personally I can see benefit of a 3G module, but I would perfer a Wifi module (or both ).

Now that the 800 is out, I wonder if they will get suspend working in the DR.

Now too wait for an 8'' Onyx Boox or get a DR, decisions, decisions.
Jumpn Jack Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 09:10 AM   #8
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpn Jack Flash View Post
I assume that Verzion is subsiding the device in some manner and that is what irex is trying to get in europe. Now I cannot set that happening so they may have to sell at a higher price on this side of the pond.
It isn't being subsidised by verizon, they are just supplying the very limited connectivity that the device has, there's no reason why the device would need to cost more in europe.
Old 09-25-2009, 09:54 AM   #9
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by menelic View Post
Just to clarify the idea: I know that negotiations are underway, but I fear the diversity of the European mobile data infrastructure might slow things down unnecessarily.
I don't fear it, I know it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seventh Son View Post
As if this is the last device on Earth I don't care, sorry. Don't see any use for 3G on a reader.
Same here, I don't care about 3G. But apparently I must care about it if I want to buy such a device, because they don't want to sell it unless they have a 3G partner. That I might like the device as-is, without 3G, that's apparently not important. Or maybe I already have a 3G subscription somewhere which I could use for this device.

I just can't understand their "need" for a 3G partner.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 11:29 AM   #10
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who are you? View Post
The 800 will have note taking in the future, but the software is not yet finished.
Just a word of caution. My standard advice is that you should buy a device based on it's current capabilities. If note taking is a requirement for you, I would recommend holding off on a purchase until the software really exists.

That's not just for iRex, but any company. Plans change, companies go out of business, etc. Lots of things could happen before a future feature is supported.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 11:29 AM   #11
Crowl
Wizard

You could understand them wanting such partnerships in place before doing a full launch in a particular country, but it does seem strange that none of these companies want to sell any devices.

Maybe its all just a handy excuse, they might be committed to certain levels of order to the states and wouldn't have enough devices to launch anywhere else at the same time.
Old 09-25-2009, 12:10 PM   #12
avril87
avril87 is on a distinguished road

Device: Vlad the Victorious (aka PRS 600)
Why the big push for a European release? If it doesn't have note taking abilities yet, why not wait? This would be my ideal device and I might consider making a visit to Best Buy on my vacation... if it already had the note taking abilities. If not, I will wait for a European release next year. Hopefully after hearing all the reviews from those who've already bought one.

I cannot understand why Irex released a device without the note taking. IMO that's what puts them ahead of the rest of the readers on the market.
avril87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 12:23 PM   #13
jotas
Connoisseur
jotas has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jotas has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jotas has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jotas has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jotas has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: who knows?
Quote:
Originally Posted by avril87 View Post
Why the big push for a European release? If it doesn't have note taking abilities yet, why not wait? This would be my ideal device and I might consider making a visit to Best Buy on my vacation... if it already had the note taking abilities. If not, I will wait for a European release next year. Hopefully after hearing all the reviews from those who've already bought one.

I cannot understand why Irex released a device without the note taking. IMO that's what puts them ahead of the rest of the readers on the market.
Irex is also famous by dropping all support and fixes for products as soon as a new one is released, and for having unfixed and unfinished firmware for promised features... so, my main concern is if they will add it really in future, and in a working and usable way.

Regards.
jotas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 01:24 PM   #14
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by jotas View Post
Irex is also famous by dropping all support and fixes for products as soon as a new one is released
They've done that once, and the hardware/software between the new/old devices were completely different. Also, the older device was still supported, just no new fixes/features.

In this case, the DR1000 and DR800 are based on the same architecture. I would expect that they will continue with software development for both.

Quote:
and for having unfixed and unfinished firmware for promised features... so, my main concern is if they will add it really in future, and in a working and usable way.
No argument there. That's why I would recommend waiting if note taking is something that is a requirement for you. I wouldn't just assume that they will finish it. But that holds true for any company, not just iRex.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 01:19 PM   #15
Bert
Enthusiast
Bert plays well with othersBert plays well with othersBert plays well with othersBert plays well with othersBert plays well with othersBert plays well with othersBert plays well with othersBert plays well with othersBert plays well with othersBert plays well with othersBert plays well with others

Device: iRex iLiad, PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by avril87 View Post

Some people aren't as interested in notetaking ability. I currently own an iLiad, and I rarely use the notetaking. Hell, I can't even remember when I used it for the last time ...
I also don't care much for the 3G functionality. Sure, it's nice to have, but I don't really need it, and I will also rarely use it when it's there.

Problem is I broke my iLiad's screen last week, and replacing it costs $400 ... So I better buy another device instead of repairing my 3-year-old iLiad. This device is one of the only 8" devices, and one with an excellent pdf viewer too. I find that the most important thing, so I want to buy this device ... and that's why I want an October release.
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote