Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-24-2013, 01:44 PM   #1
murph
murph began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire/Kindle Touch
Is there is a way to launch the native Kindle Store from a browser?

Howdy,

I've been combing these forums for an answer to this, but can't seem to find what I'm looking for.

My question: With the Kindle Touch browser, is there a way to create a link that will cause the native Kindle Store to specific ASIN? I've discovered there is a specific URL for the e-reader devices but using this in the Kindle Touch browser causes it to display nothing, since the specific URL returns only XML, which the native Kindle Store understands, but the browser does not.

(I'm not a developer, but I assure you I've done my research up to and including downloading the Kindle source code and trying to identify where this resides myself, to no avail. )

Thank you!
murph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:50 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by murph View Post
Howdy,

I've been combing these forums for an answer to this, but can't seem to find what I'm looking for.

My question: With the Kindle Touch browser, is there a way to create a link that will cause the native Kindle Store to specific ASIN? I've discovered there is a specific URL for the e-reader devices but using this in the Kindle Touch browser causes it to display nothing, since the specific URL returns only XML, which the native Kindle Store understands, but the browser does not.

(I'm not a developer, but I assure you I've done my research up to and including downloading the Kindle source code and trying to identify where this resides myself, to no avail. )

Thank you!
If you loosen your requirements a bit, it might be possible.
I.E: With one of our add-in browsers that does xml pages.
Skipstone might, I am pretty sure that Mindora does (its an html5 compatible browser).
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2013, 01:54 PM   #3
murph

Hey knc1,

Thanks for your quick reply! I'm looking to find if this functionality exists without having to install an add-in, or anything like that.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:07 PM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Hey knc1,

Thanks for your quick reply! I'm looking to find if this functionality exists without having to install an add-in, or anything like that.
If the standard browser that comes with the Kindle can not render xml, and the Amazon site sends xml - -
Then you will have to change something.

And if you don't want to change anything on the Kindle, then contact Amazon for a non-xml URL for their store.
Old 06-24-2013, 03:22 PM   #5
murph

The standard Amazon URL can be used (amazon.com/dp/[asin]) but that won't cause it to open the Amazon Kindle store. It will open it in the web browser, but no options are given for you to purchase the book.

Inside the experimental browser, however, you can click on the URL area, then to the left appears a few options for what you can search on and one of the options is the "Store." I am wondering if there is some sort of javascript event or something that could cause the browser to open the store?
Advert
Old 06-24-2013, 04:55 PM   #6
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
The standard Amazon URL can be used (amazon.com/dp/[asin]) but that won't cause it to open the Amazon Kindle store. It will open it in the web browser, but no options are given for you to purchase the book.

Inside the experimental browser, however, you can click on the URL area, then to the left appears a few options for what you can search on and one of the options is the "Store." I am wondering if there is some sort of javascript event or something that could cause the browser to open the store?
You will not find that in the Amazon source code.

Amazon sees source code in three categories:
1) Open source whose license requires the source used to be distributed.
2) Open source whose license does not require (but allows) the source used to be distributed.
3) Close source, I.E: proprietary.

"Amazon source code" bundle includes only #1 above. Although the Kindle firmware contains all three categories of code.

The "experimental browser" is a (limited feature) build of the web-kit browser.
You will have to look for how that feature is implemented in the files on your Kindle related to the browser.

The Kindle Touch and the Kindle Paperwhite use very similar software.
You might also want to look in the Kpw-5.3.6 firmware version for how they do the (new) "click to buy" feature.

Note: Don't post copyrighted, proprietary, files here without permission of the copyright holder.
Descriptions of how to find/modify such software is ok here, as is replacement software that you create yourself.