Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-13-2013, 08:23 AM   #1
mediax
Readaholic
mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2 (previously 505 and 650)
Strange Wi-fi behaviour

Has anyone else had a problem connecting to a password-protected network with a T2?

My internet browser works fine with unprotected networks, but when I try to access a web site (Google is my usual test) through any password-protected network the browser just hangs. Next time I access the browser, however, it seems to have loaded the page I was trying to look at.

Yes, I am using the correct passwords for the networks I'm trying to access (honestly!) - and the behaviour is consistent on more than one network. My phone and laptop access the networks in question with no problems.

I'd appreciate any thoughts or suggestions!
mediax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:10 AM   #2
mediax
Readaholic
mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I thought I'd give this a bump, as I'm still experiencing this problem, despite a system update - which I was unable to download until I switched to an unprotected access point.

In the absence of any responses, I'm beginning to wonder if it is only me experiencing anything like this!
Old 05-24-2013, 12:52 AM   #3
pssquirrel
ebooknut
pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & Oasis
Sorry to hear you're having trouble with your T2. FWIW, I've not had any problem connecting my T2 to a password-protected network. Hope you figure it out.

Last edited by pssquirrel; 05-25-2013 at 01:35 AM.
pssquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 08:33 PM   #4
hpjrt
Connoisseur
hpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watch

Device: kobo
I just got my T2 today and just setup wifi on my password protected home network. When I tried to access google the reader froze. I figure I'm doing something wrong - but I have no clue as to what.

There's a system update you say? Hmmm. Must check into that.

If anyone has any idea what could be going on here, I too would appreciate some insight.

My wifi signal is "excellent" according to the setup.

I think the wifi might be starting to work but it definitely seems to wonk out the reader. It could have something to do with how long it takes to "internalize" the settings which makes everything else slow or otherwise grind to a halt.

Now I'm not unfamiliar with tech stuff and have managed to connect a diverse number of devices with my home network so there is really no reason for it not to work seemlessly. Hopefully it will.

Also, I'm in Canada, and while that should make no difference, perhaps it does?

Last edited by hpjrt; 05-24-2013 at 11:40 PM. Reason: Edited to add
hpjrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 03:07 PM   #5
luvduchovny
Zealot
luvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melon

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500, PRS-600, PRS-650, PRS-T1, PRS-T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mediax View Post
I thought I'd give this a bump, as I'm still experiencing this problem, despite a system update - which I was unable to download until I switched to an unprotected access point.

In the absence of any responses, I'm beginning to wonder if it is only me experiencing anything like this!
Is the wifi network a WPA or WEP network? The reader should work with those just fine. It won't connect if you are using a corporate 802.1x that uses PEAP or LEAP along with WPA authorization.
luvduchovny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 03:11 PM   #6
luvduchovny
Zealot
luvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melon

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500, PRS-600, PRS-650, PRS-T1, PRS-T3
Quote:
Has anyone else had a problem connecting to a password-protected network with a T2?

My internet browser works fine with unprotected networks, but when I try to access a web site (Google is my usual test) through any password-protected network the browser just hangs. Next time I access the browser, however, it seems to have loaded the page I was trying to look at.

Yes, I am using the correct passwords for the networks I'm trying to access (honestly!) - and the behaviour is consistent on more than one network. My phone and laptop access the networks in question with no problems.

I'd appreciate any thoughts or suggestions!

Has anyone suggested restarting the router if it is your home network. Sometimes just doing that will fix the issue.
luvduchovny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:38 AM   #7
mediax
Readaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvduchovny View Post
Is the wifi network a WPA or WEP network? The reader should work with those just fine. It won't connect if you are using a corporate 802.1x that uses PEAP or LEAP along with WPA authorization.
The networks I've tried have both been home networks. Mine's a WEP network, and I'm pretty sure the other one is too.

Thanks for the information, though - I'm sure that will come in useful one day.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:40 AM   #8
mediax
Readaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvduchovny View Post
Has anyone suggested restarting the router if it is your home network. Sometimes just doing that will fix the issue.
I've tried that on my home network to no avail, but thanks for the suggestion.
Old 05-30-2013, 02:12 PM   #9
Ashjuk
Fanatic
Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS 600/650
Quote:
The networks I've tried have both been home networks. Mine's a WEP network, and I'm pretty sure the other one is too.

Thanks for the information, though - I'm sure that will come in useful one day.
You urgently need to change that - WEP is about as secure as a brown paper bag in a thunder storm!
Ashjuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 06:22 AM   #10
tech_au
Oz Bookworm
tech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS 505,PRS 650
I just got a T2 a couple of days ago and had no problems connecting to my WPA2 network using the auto WPS setup. Have you tried that?
tech_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:45 AM   #11
mediax
Readaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashjuk View Post
You urgently need to change that
That should keep me happy for a while. Let's hope it fixes the problem as well ...
Old 06-05-2013, 01:18 PM   #12
Ashjuk
Fanatic
Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
That should keep me happy for a while. Let's hope it fixes the problem as well ...
You should be using WPA2-PSK to secure your network - WEP was hacked a long time ago and can be broken in a couple of minutes.

Not sure changing you security format will fix your problem, but at least your network will be more secure.
Old 06-10-2013, 07:43 AM   #13
mediax
Readaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashjuk View Post
You should be using WPA2-PSK to secure your network.
Many thanks, Ashjuk. For whatever reason, switching to WPA2-PSK also fixed my browser problem! No idea why, but I'm a happy bunny!
Old 06-10-2013, 01:31 PM   #14
Ashjuk
Fanatic

Quote:
Many thanks, Ashjuk. For whatever reason, switching to WPA2-PSK also fixed my browser problem! No idea why, but I'm a happy bunny!
Good result all round then.