Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 08-21-2013, 03:14 PM   #31
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lester View Post
A good discussion of the why of Publisher Defaults is here

and for this the Nook Color should be working roughly the same as the HD as long as you are using the latest firmware on the Color.
Well, I'll read it, BUT, we double-checked our client's firmware, and the NookColor HD--the HD is important--simply ignored the styling. I've never had a problem with the NookColor; but the HD seems to be another animal altogether.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 05:53 PM   #32
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Let me elaborate on my previous posts.

The NookColor HD Overrides:

The long and the short of it is, no matter what we did, our client was unable to get COURIER--plain old, vanilla COURIER--to display on her NookColor HD. The Courier was used sparingly, in two "notes" the protagonist received, from a stalker. A total of about...20 words? Nothing we did made the Courier work. So, the client decided to use a different font. We embedded that. Now, that font works, but only if she chooses certain other fonts on her "overridden" font selections. When she chooses "Publisher font," or defaults, or whatever it's called, the courier-replacement font disappears, and now appears as TNR.

What you've done isn't set some grand stage for readers to "Rise up against the evil crappy formatting by outsourced labor by BPH's," you've overriden what the author needs for her book.

The NookPress CSS Overrides:

This change to the overrides, initiated for NookColor, now for the HD, was simply the first step that is now being completed at NookPress, with the ridiculous advent of the upload process overriding the author's own CSS.

For anyone not aware, if you upload an ePUB at NP, you have to choose, "use original file," or NP replaces YOUR CSS with a sheet of its own CSS, that is not the same as what you created. You have to elect to "use original file," and it's neither obvious nor easy to use.

We've had hours of customer support that WE have had to provide, to clients, (when it should be B&N, not us), whose books were utterly wrecked because they couldn't find that tiny checkbox for "use original file," and, moreover, "use original file" seems to throw them out of the upload process, so they have to contact B&N Customer support and wait for the book to be uploaded. (I've had nearly a dozen clients just say, "screw it, it's not worth it, I'll just sell on Amazon." Just in case you're interested.)

I did a bunch of non-fiction books for an order of religious publishers, that have been selling fine for nearly three years, and (when the book was updated during the migration to NookPress) not only did the CSS not work, all the HUNDREDS of footnote links in the book were broken, because the overrides put in place during the NookPress conversion just...broke the book. I had to go in and fix it. Fully half of the CSS overrides weren't for anything IN the book; it was clearly for displaying the book on B&N's own webpages. Apparently, B&N decided to "fix" the actual book file to facilitate the LITB (Look Inside the Book) process, rather than use CSS for the website for the display, as Amazon does. Books have been fine for years, but now, they're broken. That's not simply "facilitating reader choices." That's an entirely different thing. This isn't simply about display.

B&N's become Smashwords, with devices. That's what has been done. I have never understood why B&N takes the positions that they do, but I'm happy to put text on the book that tells people that if they're reading it on a Nook, they are not seeing the publisher's intended content, because B&N thinks that they, the distributor and retailer, know better than the publisher or author. This is sheer hubris. Worse, it's stupid, because the operating assumption is that "everyone" knows that they can choose Publisher Defaults. Fully 2/3rds of my clients don't know that. Hell, half my clients have never changed a font, or a font-size.

Publisher Defaults Do NOT Work:

It wouldn't be so egregious if "Publisher Defaults" actually worked, but it doesn't, as discussed. I used to love reading books on my NookColor, but now I've switched to the KindleFire, because I find this so infuriating.

I seriously hope Liz writes an article about this. Not that it will matter; when B&N decides to do something, no matter how wrong-headed, nothing ever dissuades them. (I have three outstanding requests for assistance to B&N; one is nearly two years old now; the others are ONLY a year old. I have two clients that have emailed B&N seeking help, to publish some larger non-fiction tomes, medical books, and nearly 18 months later, they're still waiting for a reply. I emailed them on behalf of a NYTimes Bestselling author, and the reply was--wait for it--"if this isn't fixed IN A MONTH, please feel free to write me back." A MONTH? Man, talk about Hubris. That author, BTW--never published on Nook.)

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
calibre, formatting errors, nook, sigil, stylesheet