Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 07-05-2013, 04:04 PM   #16
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven2099 View Post
I'm a lot like fredlave..

i'm that if i BUY one of these so caked root hacks that i'll be ripped off with a bricked tablet that was packed with viruses and malware

i myself would prefer the do it myself step by step method that way if i screw up only i am to blame and not some ass wipe hackers trying to make a few bucks
The process is simple enough:

* download a bunch of files
* install the disk imager if you're on windows
* image the SD card with disk imager
* copy the CM zip file and the gaps zip file to the SD card
* turn off Nook HD(+)
* insert SD card on Nook HD(+)
* boot device
* install zip and select the CM zip
* install zip and select the gapps zip
* remove SD card
* reboot
* enjoy

Source
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:12 PM   #17
livramax
Addict
livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Aura HD, Galaxy Note 8, Fire HD10, Galaxy S6 Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
The process is simple enough:

Source
The cited source is for installing and running CM10 natively on the HD+.

To install and run CM10 off an SD card, leaving the HD+ unmodified, see http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2300132 or http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2087988.

In all cases, the steps are as simple as what @afv011 outlined.
livramax is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2013, 09:04 AM   #18
Raven2099
Raven2099 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Tablet
i rooted my nook using the cryogen mod i got off of www.xda-developers.com/‎ it took me less than 20 mins...

spent no $ works fine
Raven2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 08:02 AM   #19
livramax
Addict
livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

FWIW CyanogenMod has just released 10.1.1 and 10.1.2 which incorporate "Master Key" security-bug fixes: http://www.cyanogenmod.org/blog.

I'd recommend upgrading to HD+ builds that are sync'ed up with CM10 nightlies and released in the last day or so.

Last edited by livramax; 07-13-2013 at 08:04 AM.
Old 07-13-2013, 12:56 PM   #20
lapsedgeek
lapsedgeek began at the beginning.

Device: Nook HD+
Thanks everyone for the helpful, honest posts so far. As my username says, it's been awhile since I've done this kind of thing, but I'm up for trying it.

I've bought a Nook HD+ since they went on sale because BN is not doing so well lately with the nook. I'm very excited about having a tablet that I could afford!! In reading about how to root it, I came across some posts that BN developers have created a way to prevent rooting once you have powered up and connected the nook to a network. Something about preventing the boot process from looking at anything except their image. This would effectively prevent me from rooting it if I turn it on etc. Is this true? (sorry if my terms aren;t totally correct, its been awhile...)
lapsedgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2013, 02:30 PM   #21
Rbneader
Fanatic
Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by lapsedgeek View Post
Thanks everyone for the helpful, honest posts so far. As my username says, it's been awhile since I've done this kind of thing, but I'm up for trying it.

I've bought a Nook HD+ since they went on sale because BN is not doing so well lately with the nook. I'm very excited about having a tablet that I could afford!! In reading about how to root it, I came across some posts that BN developers have created a way to prevent rooting once you have powered up and connected the nook to a network. Something about preventing the boot process from looking at anything except their image. This would effectively prevent me from rooting it if I turn it on etc. Is this true? (sorry if my terms aren;t totally correct, its been awhile...)
That's a new one to me. Could you link to the posts?

I did hear that some of the newer HD+ had a harder time recognizing the SD card, but I hadn't heard anything about the problems depending on registering it with B&N.
Rbneader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 02:47 PM   #22
boomchikawahwah
boomchikawahwah began at the beginning.

Device: KKx2, PW2, Touch3g, Basic
To the OP, there's a step by step guide for newbies on installing the CyanogenMod 10.1 for the Nook HD+ over at xda:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2317500
boomchikawahwah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 03:11 PM   #23
livramax
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapsedgeek View Post
No, it's not true. My HD+, which was bought during the last BN sale, registered with B&N and subsequently updated via the network to the latest stock ROM version, can boot off an SD running CM10 or rooting software just fine.

However, there have been reports that some recent HD+ units have problem cold-booting (i.e., booting from power-off state) off an SD card: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2288688. The only way to know if your HD+ has this problem is to create a bootable SD card and try to boot off it from power-off.

See http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2062613 for tips/pointers for rooting/modding the HD+.

Last edited by livramax; 07-13-2013 at 03:19 PM.
Old 07-13-2013, 04:37 PM   #24
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
lapsedgeek, before the latest stock firmware, released in May, where B&N opened up the Nooks to Google Play, the behavior you described (or something similar) may have been a problem. But it's really easy to mod the Nook now. The problem I found when approaching this was that are so many methods and options for tweaking the Nook HD/HD+ and I didn't know which was the best for my needs.

For example here are some options you have:

1) Keep the stock firmware unmodded and just use a third-party launcher.
2) Keep the stock firmware but mod it to allow the sideloading of apps.
3) Keep the stock firmware but root it to allow access to all system files
4) Replace the internal stock OS entirely with pure Jelly Bean android.
5) Keep the stock OS but put an alternate android ROM on the external SD card and boot from there (a dual-boot situation)

I am sure there are even more options out there.

I chose #2 and I'm happy with that.

If you let us know how you want to change the behavior of your Nook or what method you are most interested in, someone can point out the most relevant links where you can get the instructions.
PatNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 06:27 PM   #25
lapsedgeek

@Rbneader -
After going back to look more closely, I think I was just misreading the way the automatic updates work. So, I think it is just as always, that the autoupdate may just return you to stock, but then it is still possible to re-root. I was interpreting it to mean that the first autoupdate done on brand-new powerup would prevent any rooting.

@livramax and @PatNY - Thanks for the clarifying.
I'm interested in using Android apps, and it may be that since HD+ now has better access to these I don't even need to root it.

But, if I do, I think a dual-boot is sounding like the simplest to maintain, although it may be slow because it is running off the SD. I've read a little about the hybrid from bokbokan that is able to use SD for ROM and share EMMC with stock OS for data. The HD+ I bought is 16GB (someone posted link to this earlier in the thread). Will that be enough or should I return it for a 32GB if I want to do hybrid? Originally I didn't know about this hybrid option and figured I'd get the 16 and just buy a 64GB card to allow for using this as a tablet for a long time. Is the hybrid stable?

Basically, I want to do this once, have it be stable, and maybe update to a new stable version each year. I'm fine running off a card if that is what is needed, don't want to play games, just read, use productivity apps, surf/email...This is mostly a cheap way to relieve pressure in my household from multiple kids wanting internet access at the same time. That is really what is driving me nuts right now.
Thanks everyone for the speedy replies!
Old 07-13-2013, 09:12 PM   #26
livramax
Addict

@lapsedgeek -

I'd suggest you leave stock ROM on your HD+, get a Sandisk class 4 16GB SD card (sold on eBay or Amazon by US-based sellers for ~ $12 shipped) to install/run bokbokan CM10.1 ROM build in PureSD mode, then use the device alternatively in both modes for a while and see what you prefer.

Even if you end up preferring CM10 you might still want to run it off SD for 3-6 months -- so as to wait for the CM10 port for HD+ to be become more mature and leave the device in stock form for warranty purpose just in case something goes wrong with the device hardware -- before commit to installing CM10 internally on emmc.

The Hybrid mode is interesting but I personally don't see a lot of practical value for it: most people will eventually opt for either of the two ROMs leaving the other essentially unused (and wasting the emmc space it occupies), the stock /data partition is still modified (hence would need to be backed up and later restored in case of warranty claim), and the performance gain is mostly in loading time of app programs (CM10 running off SD still makes use of internal emmc /cache partition for caching data so there is little performance gain after an app program is loaded and runs).

Unless you plan to put movies or large chunk of your music library on the device, or play lots of RPG video games, I think 16GB should be more than adequate.

Last edited by livramax; 07-13-2013 at 09:48 PM.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:34 AM   #27
lapsedgeek

Ok, that makes sense about the speed once a app is loaded. (I'm old enough to remember doing this with a 5.25 floppy!) Thanks, and I will definitely do the dual boot as you suggest. And will probably get 64 card since I want to do movies. I booted it with the stock last night and I already know that I am missing a terminal! Will let you know how it goes...thanks!
Old 07-18-2013, 09:00 PM   #28
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
So... Any ideas about what you can do when the HD+ won't boot the sdcard?

Followed all the instructions, downloaded all the files, wrote what need to be writtten to the sdcard, installed in Nook and powered it back on. Straight to standard Nook boot. Doesn't seem to even recognize the sdcard.

Guess I'll stay with stock rom for now.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:40 PM   #29
livramax
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
So... Any ideas about what you can do when the HD+ won't boot the sdcard?

Followed all the instructions, downloaded all the files, wrote what need to be writtten to the sdcard, installed in Nook and powered it back on. Straight to standard Nook boot. Doesn't seem to even recognize the sdcard.

Guess I'll stay with stock rom for now.
Sounds like your HD+ might be one of those units that have the issue described at http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2288688.

But if you want to double-check the "boot-ability" of the SDcard you created: its boot partition should be FAT32 of the type 0x0C LBA with Active flag set and should contain the set of following files: kernel, MLO, ramdisk.cwm, u-boot.bin, uImage.
Old 07-26-2013, 03:36 PM   #30
jscarbo
Addict
jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW2, Nook HD+, Nexus 7
I've just ordered a Nook HD+ 32GB and while waiting for it to arrive have been reading forum posts to educate myself as to its capabilities. I don't think I have much interest in rooting it but am curious as to the benefits of getting a dual boot SD card such as this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A3FB3QXWPG2R5F which gives me the option of running either the stock Nook OS or running the latest version of android 4.2.2 jelly bean. I have a Nexus 7 and like the jelly bean OS.

I'd appreciate comments as to pros and cons and any specific experiences with this particular card.
jscarbo is offline   Reply With Quote