Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-08-2013, 08:07 AM   #721
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Pretty interesting, and I can appreciate the love you have for your PW's and not wanting to go back to older models, but I still can't see past that paying the full price and being willing to accept the faults you can see on it. Just encourages companies to push out new products without ironing out it's problems first. One of the perceived negatives of Kobo is their continual firmware updates & bug fixes, like it's beta software they have running all the time. I think the hardware issues with the PW are even worse. The huge variation in quality is incredibly shoddy, but then I guess that's really down to the pressure on them to sell these things at the lowest possible price.

Ah well, at least the dark winter days are over here for now, so I won't be longing for a lighted reader so much and can patiently wait and see what happens later this year...... You do know that if Amazon release another PW at the end of this year you will all be thinking of buying the "new & improved model"

Edit: Yolina I did a similar thing, contacted customer support and told them I would have bought a Paperwhite but due to it's issues was considering a Kobo Glo instead, and added I hoped they would fix the PW so I could stick with the Kindle. Just got a generic response so I don't even know if anyone read it!

Last edited by soulfuldog; 03-08-2013 at 08:10 AM. Reason: Additional comment
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 02:35 AM   #722
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
Pretty interesting, and I can appreciate the love you have for your PW's and not wanting to go back to older models, but I still can't see past that paying the full price and being willing to accept the faults you can see on it. Just encourages companies to push out new products without ironing out it's problems first.
I agree 100%, and I know that keeping mine was not a great way to show my discontent with their QC.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2013, 12:00 PM   #723
tmf2
Zealot
tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
In addition to build quality being variable, so apparently is the light brightness. At 8, I can barely see the light. I need to keep mine around 16 or 18.
Same here 8 is so dark I can barely see the text I also keep mine at 17.
tmf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 01:10 PM   #724
JLeighs
Addict
JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
Pretty interesting, and I can appreciate the love you have for your PW's and not wanting to go back to older models, but I still can't see past that paying the full price and being willing to accept the faults you can see on it. Just encourages companies to push out new products without ironing out it's problems first.
Many of us here have had Amazon sending us devices until they got it right (or almost right). That right there is telling Amazon that we aren't willing to just accept its flaws. They sent me a total of 6, I believe. Plenty of other people have had numerous exchanges as well, which means that Amazon is forking out a not-insignificant amount of money for shipping plus these returned devices can no longer technically be sold as "new". This is costing them money. The question is: is it costing them enough money to make sure that the next generation doesn't have these issues (if that's possible)? I guess we'll find out.
JLeighs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 06:04 PM   #725
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Active content never did work on my PW. However, I am fully satisified with all the Apps on my KFHD7-32. I was afraid to trade in my PW since there were so many folks who received PW's with screen defects on their replacement PW's. My screen is just fine.

I did notice that it took me 10 minutes to change the time on my PW today with the advent of Daylight Savings Time. No matter how many times I tapped the hour button it would not budge. Finally, it did change.

My KFHD7-32 just changed its time from its internet access. Too bad the PW doesn't do that.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2013, 04:05 PM   #726
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
My KFHD7-32 just changed its time from its internet access. Too bad the PW doesn't do that.
What? It does. (It's the only way to get the date right without jailbreaking the device.)
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote