Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-17-2012, 11:01 AM   #946
veezh
plus ça change
veezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kindle PW2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
For all those waiting for other patches: I'll try to *eventually* port these patches to the PW
Can't wait till you get around to the dictionaries patch! But I'm thinking you knew that already.
veezh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 12:36 PM   #947
ersott
Evangelist
ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite2, Ipad Air, Kobo Aura H2o
Thanks for all ixtab, it works very well, anxious for margin and fonts

ersott is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2012, 03:15 PM   #948
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by veezh View Post
Can't wait till you get around to the dictionaries patch! But I'm thinking you knew that already.
Huh! and you knew that I knew........ But yes, it probably will come... sometime

Last edited by ixtab; 12-18-2012 at 01:56 PM.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:23 PM   #949
Dworkyll
Dworkyll knows the square root of minus one.Dworkyll knows the square root of minus one.Dworkyll knows the square root of minus one.Dworkyll knows the square root of minus one.Dworkyll knows the square root of minus one.Dworkyll knows the square root of minus one.Dworkyll knows the square root of minus one.Dworkyll knows the square root of minus one.Dworkyll knows the square root of minus one.Dworkyll knows the square root of minus one.Dworkyll knows the square root of minus one.

Device: iPaq 214, HanLin V5, K3W, K4, KPW, iPad3
@ixtab: Thanks, you have answered the very questions, I was unsure at.

And I have to express my utmost admiration. Using this JBPatch my PW now able to properly hyphenate Hungarian language docs, which is far from trivial, at the minimum. Practically it was the Holy Grail for many publishers, who were using this reason, the missing hyphenation (among others of course), to avoid entering the ebook scene.
Dworkyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:14 PM   #950
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

[KPW] Customize reader font sizes

... another patch for the Paperwhite.

This one comes as a standalone patch. To install it:
1. download the attached file and rename it to "com.mobileread.ixtab.patch.fontsize.jar" - i.e., don't unzip it, just change the file extension from .zip to .jar
2. Copy the .jar file to the opt/jbpatch directory on the Paperwhite
3. Restart the framework. The fastest way is to use the "Restart framework" button from the "System" tab of the JBPatch UI.

And... just a friendly reminder: You will also need to restart the UI after changing the font settings, to actually experience the changed settings. This goes for (almost) all patch settings.

I'm roughly following the priorities from this thread for porting the patches to the Paperwhite - roughly, because some patches require significantly more work than others to be ported, and I'm starting with the easier ones.

PS: Those patches will most probably all be released as standalone patches, until - at some point - everything will be bundled back together into JBPatch 3.1.0 or so.

EDIT: I just noticed something odd with this patch, and it seems to be reproducible. For instance, I've set the font sizes to <7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14>. In the "Aa" menu, the leftmost (7) and rightmost two (13,14) settings "work" as intended, but the ones in the middle act strange. Your device may actually select a different font size than what you tapped on. It's hard to explain, but for instance tapping on the 6th item will select the 8th, the 5th will select the 7th, etc. You actually can select all entries, but you may need to tap somewhere to the left of it to do so. Ah well, one more Paperwhite quirk.

Anyway: please don't report this as a bug, I already know about it. I might look into the issue at some point in time, but don't hold your breath. After all, it's just a UI quirk, the patch as such is working and usable when working around that quirk.

EDIT: Attachment removed. This patch is bundled with JBPatch 3.1.0.

Last edited by ixtab; 01-06-2013 at 05:29 PM.
Advert
Old 12-19-2012, 04:48 PM   #951
ersott
Evangelist
ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Great!.

Thanks again ;-)
Old 12-19-2012, 05:09 PM   #952
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Thank you ixtab.

Just a note on installation order: It works to copy com.mobileread.ixtab.patch.fontsize.jar to the PW before installing JBPatch. This way it saves one restart.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:17 PM   #953
ersott
Evangelist

edit, it works fine, thanks!!

Last edited by ersott; 12-19-2012 at 05:23 PM.
Old 12-19-2012, 05:24 PM   #954
atleon
Enthusiast
atleon with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitatleon with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitatleon with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitatleon with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitatleon with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitatleon with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitatleon with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitatleon with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitatleon with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitatleon with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitatleon with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by ersott View Post
this doesn't work for me

I installed the patch, on the "overview" tab I have selected the patch, but when I go to the tab "patch", I get a message saying that says "you don't have patch selected".

I restarted the frameworks, and restarted the kindle several times but does not change.

Press the name of the patch in the "overview" tab. The "patch" tab will open automatically showing the options.
atleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:27 PM   #955
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Thank you ixtab.

Just a note on installation order: It works to copy com.mobileread.ixtab.patch.fontsize.jar to the PW before installing JBPatch. This way it saves one restart.
Yep, that certainly does work. It's just not the "normal" installation order
Old 12-19-2012, 05:29 PM   #956
ersott
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by atleon View Post
Press the name of the patch in the "overview" tab. The "patch" tab will open automatically showing the options.
Thanks!, it works
Old 12-19-2012, 05:38 PM   #957
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Yep, that certainly does work. It's just not the "normal" installation order
Well for me it was, as my PW is brand new. So I went:
update to 5.3.1
install jailbreak
install com.mobileread.ixtab.patch.fontsize.jar
install jbpatch
--- fail -
install kindlet jailbreak

all good
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:12 PM   #958
new
K3, K4B, KDX, KFHD, PW1&2
new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4B, KDX3G, KFHD, PW1, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Well for me it was, as my PW is brand new. So I went:
update to 5.3.1
install jailbreak
install com.mobileread.ixtab.patch.fontsize.jar
install jbpatch
--- fail -
install kindlet jailbreak

all good
I never got 5.3.1 update! I put the PW on-line and nothing happened. I have had my PW for a month now.

Guess I had better read this whole long thread to see what all of this does for your PW.
new is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 05:20 AM   #959
mano42
mano42 is a marvel to beholdmano42 is a marvel to beholdmano42 is a marvel to beholdmano42 is a marvel to beholdmano42 is a marvel to beholdmano42 is a marvel to beholdmano42 is a marvel to beholdmano42 is a marvel to beholdmano42 is a marvel to beholdmano42 is a marvel to beholdmano42 is a marvel to behold

Device: k3, k4, k5, pw
Quote:
Good news for Paperwhite users!

Here's version 3.0.0, for both Kindle Touch and Paperwhite. In terms of contained patches, there aren't any changes for Touch users - they're exactly the same as version 2.4.1, and there only have been minor code changes under the hood.

For the Kindle Paperwhite, only one patch is currently available - but that is the single most useful patch (IMO), namely the reader adjustment and hyphenation one. Finally, the book layout isn't an eyesore anymore... I intend to use the Paperwhite to actually read on it during the upcoming holidays, so this was really just pure selfishness
Thank you, I was waiting for this. I have sent you a beer :P
mano42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 05:39 AM   #960
mano42
mano42 is a marvel to beholdmano42 is a marvel to beholdmano42 is a marvel to beholdmano42 is a marvel to beholdmano42 is a marvel to beholdmano42 is a marvel to beholdmano42 is a marvel to beholdmano42 is a marvel to beholdmano42 is a marvel to beholdmano42 is a marvel to beholdmano42 is a marvel to behold

Device: k3, k4, k5, pw
Quote:
... another patch for the Paperwhite.

This one comes as a standalone patch. To install it:
1. download the attached file and rename it to "com.mobileread.ixtab.patch.fontsize.jar" - i.e., don't unzip it, just change the file extension from .zip to .jar
2. Copy the .jar file to the opt/jbpatch directory on the Paperwhite
3. Restart the framework. The fastest way is to use the "Restart framework" button from the "System" tab of the JBPatch UI.
Strange thing happened.

I changed the extension from zip to jar, copied the file to the desired location and started JBpatch to restart the framework. But jb pach wont start, and after a few seconds I got an "application error" popup. I restarted the PW manually, but nothing changed, same error or Jbpatch launch. I deleted the fontsize hack, than JB patch started flawlessly. But here the strange thing. Even if the jar is deleted, I have the "modify screen font sizes" patch in the list, I could even modify font sizes.
mano42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jbpatch, kindle touch hacks