Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-24-2012, 06:42 PM   #916
paspas
Enthusiast
paspas began at the beginning.

Device: prs505
Hi, where can i found jbpatch compiled for kindle keyboard?. I've reading this thread but i don't know how compile and get the final file.

Thank you!
paspas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:56 PM   #917
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by paspas View Post
Hi, where can i found jbpatch compiled for kindle keyboard?. I've reading this thread but i don't know how compile and get the final file.

Thank you!
Errm... how about downloading the file from the post concerning the K3 (linked from the first post)?
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2012, 05:20 AM   #918
paspas
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
Errm... how about downloading the file from the post concerning the K3 (linked from the first post)?
i'm sorry my english is very bad.

The file linked for k3 is not a file .bin compressed, and my level is not as wonderfull to obtain this from this steps

If anybody could give us the file file will be wonderfull, if not i will wait

Thanks again!
Old 11-25-2012, 07:29 AM   #919
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paspas View Post
i'm sorry my english is very bad.

The file linked for k3 is not a file .bin compressed, and my level is not as wonderfull to obtain this from this steps

If anybody could give us the file file will be wonderfull, if not i will wait

Thanks again!
There is no .bin installer for the K3. You'll have to manually copy the jar file to /opt/amazon/ebook/lib, and edit the startup script accordingly.

But apart from that, I don't think that even installing it manually would give you any benefit on the K3: while the patching framework exists and works, there are no useful patches for the K3 at this time.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:09 AM   #920
paspas
Enthusiast

ok, i understand. So covers will not work.

Thank you very much!
Advert
Old 12-05-2012, 08:16 AM   #921
daemonfire
daemonfire began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch (K5)
I "think" that I followed your instructions correctly.
I jailbroke my device successfully download kindlet.bin and jbpatch.bin put kindlet into my kindle rebooted, error 3 on update, put in jbpatch.bin into my kindle rebooted, error 3 on update.

My firmware is 5.1.2 Kindle Touch, deDE localized.
Am I missing something important?
daemonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:23 AM   #922
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Originally Posted by daemonfire View Post
I "think" that I followed your instructions correctly.
I jailbroke my device successfully download kindlet.bin and jbpatch.bin put kindlet into my kindle rebooted, error 3 on update, put in jbpatch.bin into my kindle rebooted, error 3 on update.

My firmware is 5.1.2 Kindle Touch, deDE localized.
Am I missing something important?
Yes. You forgot to follow the instructions contained in *both* READMEs, and to search this forum for "error 3". It's really tiring to answer the same questions over and over.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:35 AM   #923
daemonfire

Well I did what you said already before, and I am not a noob when it comes to linux, I am studying information technologies, but the instructions I've found are not clear to me.
I have the update*.bin files which the Kindle loads on a reboot, and I read about jbpatch.jar files etc and mysterious /mnt/us but I couldn't find a ressource explaining what to acutally do.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:42 AM   #924
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Hi mate.

Quote:
Update error 003 means you restarted your kindle instead of using the Update Your Kindle menu item. Start over, but use UYK next time, instead of restarting. You should read the README that came with your hack.
Did you try to choose.

"Update Your Kindle" from the Settings Screen (after transferring the file via the USB in PC mode),

or did you just reboot the kindle with the .bin in /mnt/us.... <-- You did this?

do the other

EDIT:

I searched "install error 003 kindle" on the top search for that result I quoted

Last edited by twobob; 12-05-2012 at 08:45 AM.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:52 AM   #925
daemonfire

I have no /mnt/us where should this directory be located? Yes yes, I get all the results you have, but I am new to all this I started jailbreaking today.
I tried to update my kindle but it's greyed out, yes I googled that but I think to update even though it's greyed out I need yet another patch as it seems.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:02 AM   #926
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

/mnt/us is actually the root of the drive when mounted via the USB thingy.

I understand your issue now sorry...

Okay so just put it on the ROOT of the mounted usb bit : )

(when you have full access this location will appear as /mnt/us)

: )
Old 12-05-2012, 09:05 AM   #927
twobob

Quote:
I have no /mnt/us where should this directory be located? Yes yes, I get all the results you have, but I am new to all this I started jailbreaking today.
I tried to update my kindle but it's greyed out, yes I googled that but I think to update even though it's greyed out I need yet another patch as it seems.
no.... honestly you are overthinking it.

The grayed out installer can be bypassed in one of two ways.

Either transfer the file via the "provided" - plug into pc - shove on root - unplug from PC - Settings - Update your kindle.

OR if you are transferring SSH you need to run a command to allow it...
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...30&postcount=7 is something I shoved together to allow me to do this on a touch.

IF after all that you STILL cant click the button? make sure you have the right file... the "updater" will check you are not trying to install a file that is for a different device.

Hey look, we all got this wrong the first time. Just dig around. That should be enough to get you going : )
Old 12-05-2012, 09:05 AM   #928
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
/mnt/us is a drectory on the root filesystem of the Kindle. Actually, it's the directory that shows up as "Kindle" when you connect it to your PC in "drive" mode. You will only get access to the root FS if you use usb networking, but that's a different story.

Anyway, step by step:
1. make sure you're running 5.1.2
2. copy update_jbpatch_2.4.1_install.bin directly to root of kindle.
3. unplug kindle.
4. Menu > Settings, Menu > Update your Kindle. The "update" option should NOT be grayed out if you did the above correctly. If it is, reboot kindle (ignore error 3), and try again.

Note that both successful and unsuccessful attempts to install update files will delete the update file, so you possibly have to copy it there again. Maybe that is the reason why the "update" option was grayed out.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:08 AM   #929
twobob

You don't mention exactly which type of Touch. Mine is a relatively rare B011. knowing these details helps choose the right installer In case that wasn't blindingly obvious.

Just saying it out loud.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:26 PM   #930
ixtab
(offline)

Paperwhite venture

To make it short, here's a screenshot from my device:

Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2012_12_06T21_18_47+0100.png
Views:	368
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	97368

So... JBPatch works on the Paperwhite, at least in principle.

I will be looking into this, and will try to port at least the most useful existing patches (correct hyphenation and justification*, multiple dictionaries support, ...) to the Paperwhite.

Don't hold your breath for any updates though. There won't be a full JBPatch release for the PW tomorrow, and it won't be next week either.

With the 5.3.0 firmware, thanks to Amazon's aggressive obfuscation techniques, understanding what is happening inside the device has become more difficult than ever. It's not impossible - it will just take weeks or days, instead of days or hours.

(*) Yes, occasionally, I actually do use the Kindle as an e-reader, instead of trying to break it.

Last edited by ixtab; 12-06-2012 at 06:23 PM.

Tags
jbpatch, kindle touch hacks