Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 08-16-2011, 01:59 PM   #211
Huyggy
Zealot
Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.

Device: Onyx Max 3 & Onyx Lumi 2
Hi! I've got a problem for some PDFs with the native PDF reader:

Whereas I can see the text quite easily on my computer screen with Adobe Reader, when I look at the same text on the PB pro 903, it's a bit like the text is "faded", like some ink is missing (you know when you print a page with not many ink left).
So it's a bit difficult to read, although the text is completely normal on my computer (no "faded" text).

Is it a known problem for the native PDF reader? Can I have an improvement by installing this new reader Coolreader?
Thanks a lot in advance!

Last edited by Huyggy; 08-16-2011 at 02:02 PM.
Huyggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 02:03 PM   #212
skydive
Addict
skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Pocketbook 902 Ver 2.1.3, Virgin Nook STR & Rooted Nook Color CM7
Coolreader is for epubs, chm, fb2 type files, not pdf's.

You have two pdf reader, pdfviwer and adobe viewer, try using one or the other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huyggy View Post
Hi! I've got a problem for some PDF with the native PDF reader:

Whereas I can see the text quite easily on my computer screen with Adobe Reader, when I look at the same text on the PB pro 903, it's a bit like the text is "faded", like some ink is missing (you know when you print a page with not many ink left).
So it's a bit difficult to read, although the text is completely normal on my computer (no "faded" text).

Is it a known problem for the native PDF reader? Can I have an improvement by installing this new reader Coolreader?
Thanks a lot in advance!
skydive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2011, 02:22 PM   #213
Huyggy
Zealot
Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.

no, same results here. Thanks for your help though... hasn't anybody got this type of problem ?
Old 08-16-2011, 03:56 PM   #214
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
no, same results here. Thanks for your help though... hasn't anybody got this type of problem ?
I use it in landscape mode to read letter sized PDF files. The text is much less faded in appearance.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 05:16 PM   #215
Huyggy
Zealot

Me too. It only changes the size of the text, but it's still faded.

Right now, I'm trying to see how it is with ePub format... but the conversion from PDF to ePub is so loooonng (2 hours from now with Calibre, still counting...)
Advert
Old 08-16-2011, 06:53 PM   #216
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Me too. It only changes the size of the text, but it's still faded.

Right now, I'm trying to see how it is with ePub format... but the conversion from PDF to ePub is so loooonng (2 hours from now with Calibre, still counting...)
That may be your best bet. I think the problem isn't with the text being faded, it's probably that the fonts used in PDFs have narrow 'strokes'. This is fine on paper where the resolution and contrast is usually very high, but it does make the printing faint on the lower resolution e-ink displays because of antialiasing. If Calibre could convert to a new PDF with fonts with thicker strokes, I think that would be ideal. Disabling antialiasing in the ereader would probably help make the text darker, but I think it would look pretty ugly.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:31 AM   #217
njok
njok began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 302,Iriver Story
Hi!
What do i have to do, to use the powerbutton or any other (one click) to access the menu. I have PB302?
Thanks
njok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 09:01 PM   #218
sein
Connoisseur
sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle, inkBook, Kobo
OK. There's a new and very interesting CoolReader version 0.0.6-1 with CREngine 3.0.49-16. It has a new option in 'Settings' of 'Gamma Correction', which makes texts to appear with more—or less—contrast. Lower numbers give more contrast (or blackness) to texts, and it works very well!

There're 2 different versions (quoting pkbo): "'standard smoothing' and 'smoothing the soft' (soft smoothing applied to an 8-bit mode of formation of the text)'.
A list of changes: updated kernel version, added an optional parameter font rendering gamma, fixed the formatting of text in terms of appearance in the early pages of traces of predydnschey line."

The zip files has only the CoolReader app, so just replace the cr3-pb.app in \system\bin if you have already installed the previous version 0.0.6-1. I'm using the standard smoothing version and it works very nicely.

Links:
For 3xx:
standard smoothing version: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/30005099/Poc....6-1_49.16.zip
smoothing the soft version: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/30005099/Poc..._gr8_49.16.zip

For 60x/90x/360+:
standard smoothing version: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/30005099/Poc....6-1_49.16.zip
smoothing the soft version: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/30005099/Poc..._gr8_49.16.zip

Thanks, pkbo !

Last edited by sein; 08-22-2011 at 10:11 PM.
sein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 09:30 PM   #219
skydive
Addict
skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Pocketbook 902 Ver 2.1.3, Virgin Nook STR & Rooted Nook Color CM7
Again!! thanks pkbo!! and sein. The gamma correction is super!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sein View Post
OK. There a new and very interesting CoolReader version 0.0.6-1 with CREngine 3.0.49-16. It has a new option in 'Settings' of 'Gamma Correction', which makes texts to appear with more—or less—contrast. Lower numbers give more contrast (or blackness) to texts, and it works very well!

There're 2 different versions (quoting pkbo): "'standard smoothing' and 'smoothing the soft' (soft smoothing applied to an 8-bit mode of formation of the text)'.
A list of changes: updated kernel version, added an optional parameter font rendering gamma, fixed the formatting of text in terms of appearance in the early pages of traces of predydnschey line."

The zip files has only the CoolReader app, so just replace the cr3-pb.app in \system\bin if you have already installed the previous version 0.0.6-1. I'm using the standard smoothing version and it works very nicely.

Links:
For 3xx:

For 60x/90x/360+:

Thanks, pkbo !
skydive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 10:47 PM   #220
rkomar
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbo View Post
Is this with v0.0.5-9? It is known that the latest version contains formatting bugs the author of the CR Buggins have reimplemented formatter from the start and unfortunately have added some bugs. So please use version 0.5-6 for now. I will let you know when stable release will be out.
pkbo: does the latest version (0.0.6-1) fix most of the formatting bugs seen in 0.0.5-9?
Old 08-23-2011, 02:32 AM   #221
pkbo
Addict
pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I did not build this version and had no chance to try it but people say that fromatting is ok. It seems that it opens books (for the first time) a bit slower than before. Version mentioned here as "smoothing the soft version" has 16 gray levels (on PRO series), font rendering should look much better but it has problem with ugly rendering in the dictionary view.

Last edited by pkbo; 08-23-2011 at 04:42 AM.
pkbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 04:37 AM   #222
pkbo
Addict
pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by njok View Post
What do i have to do, to use the powerbutton or any other (one click) to access the menu. I have PB302?
What are you doing to access menu in the fbreader?
pkbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 07:25 AM   #223
Tulapi
Connoisseur
Tulapi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Tulapi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Tulapi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Tulapi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Tulapi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Tulapi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Tulapi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Tulapi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Tulapi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Tulapi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Tulapi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Pocketbook pro 602, Nook Simple Touch, Inkbook Classic 2, T63 JDRead
Great !
Thanks pkbo, sein and all the contributors !
Tulapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 02:22 PM   #224
troll05
Harmless idiot
troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB622, Nexus7, Sony PRS 350, Tolino und nur noch wenig toter Baum:(
Nearly perfect, THX for all the labour you put in that prog
troll05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 05:45 PM   #225
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
amazing, thanks a lot!
paola is offline   Reply With Quote