Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 08-05-2007, 07:47 AM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
How do I calibrate my notebook screen?

I just got this yummy new ThinkPad T61p notebook, and I wonder if I need to calibrate its LCD screen (mfg Samsung) somehow. Compared to my previous notebook (a T60, screen mfg LG), the colors seem somehow washed out.

Does anyone know how to calibrate a notebook screen? I've heard one has to buy extra calibration hardware to do so, like this ColorVision Spyder thingy.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 10:39 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I know from my own experience that LCD screens from different manufacturers can look very different. One of the reasons I've now bought three Sony VAIO notebooks is that I love the appearance of Sony screens, with truly blacks blacks, compared with the washed-out grey you get on some others.

Might it simply be that the screen you have now is from a different manufacturer to that which you're used to?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2007, 11:37 AM   #3
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
There is an Adobe screen calibration program that is part of their graphics offerings. It has improved even the look of my old Sony Z505 laptop (450 MHz) as well as my main machine. It seems to correct the gamma settings.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 06:05 PM   #4
sea2stars
Zealot
sea2stars is on a distinguished road

Device: eb1150, Sony Reader
Unless you're doing some serious 3D work, graphics, and don't plan on moving your screen, a Spyder would be a waste. I'd have to agree with HarryT that it's simply due to another manufacturer, and with RWood that it could be a gamma setting. You can usually adjust things through your video adapter settings, or you might first try using a Windows ICM (Image Color Management) file for your LCD; if not already installed. ThinkPad T61p ICM File
sea2stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 05:49 AM   #5
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sea2stars View Post
You can usually adjust things through your video adapter settings, or you might first try using a Windows ICM (Image Color Management) file for your LCD; if not already installed. ThinkPad T61p ICM File
Thanks for the link, sea2stars. This profile came preinstalled with my notebook, but I just don't like how the colors are displayed. They are really washed out! Also, it has this grainy effect on white backgrounds that many Mac users complained about in the past.

If it cannot be improved through software or hardware calibration, it seems that Samsung LCD (this notebook screen) is inferior to LG LCD (previous notebook screen).
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-07-2007, 08:53 AM   #6
sea2stars
Zealot
sea2stars is on a distinguished road

Device: eb1150, Sony Reader
Nice laptop; just looked it up. I wouldn't mind borrowing that thing for work!

Ah I didn't realize it was the Spyder2 Express; the model we have here was around $300. You could give it a try, but no guarantees. After you go through some hoops, it will create a new ICM for your screen.

I wonder if the default profile is set to sRGB, that would makes things appear washed out, and what the screens color temp is set to.
sea2stars is offline   Reply With Quote