Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-06-2010, 02:12 PM   #1
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
British iTablet - a rival to iPad?

X2, a British company, is planning to launch the iTablet in April.

Chris Smith of T3 comments:
Quote:
It's going to run on Windows 7, with a mobile-esque UI, and the Intel Atom processor we've seen on many netbooks. Unlike the iPad, it has a 1.3-megapixel camera for video chatting and will support Adobe Flash too. It'll also boast USB and HDMI ports.
Screen sizes on the iTablet will be from 10.2-12.1-inches and claims to have multitouch, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and optional 3G mobile connectivity. Harddrives will range up to a whopping 250GB compared to Apple's maximum 64GB.
Perhaps most tellingly, the iTablet is claiming to be a fully-functional multitasker, claiming to run apps simultaneously, "something that cannot be achieved with other operating systems" according to Apple-bating remarks from X2.
http://www.t3.com/news/x2-computing-...le-ipad?=43521

Also covered here:
http://www.itproportal.com/portal/ne...alled-itablet/
http://www.trustedreviews.com/laptop...s--iTablet-/p1

S
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 02:29 PM   #2
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
Looks very interesting. The articles doesn't say much about the screen except that its a LCD at 1024x768 pixels. iPad comes with an IPS screen that is said to be of a much higher quality with greater viewing angle and crisper colours. Whether this is true or not remains to be seen. I would definitely go for the tablet with the best screen so a comparison of the two screens would be really nice.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 02:59 PM   #3
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
There are things X2 doesn't want to mention, but can be found if you look hard enough.

Weight:
iTablet: 1.18kg
iPad: 0.68kg

Thickness:
iTablet: 35mm
iPad: 13.4mm

Battery life:
iTablet: Unknown. Previous version had 4 hour battery life.
iPad: 10 hours.

Hmm... over 50% heavier, and over 150% thicker.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 03:15 PM   #4
random50
Connoisseur
random50 doesn't litterrandom50 doesn't litter

Device: None yet
I don't think the difference between very thin and ridiculously thin, or between very light and very, very light, is really worth caring about.

Battery life is an issue, though.
random50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 04:15 PM   #5
kilron
Connoisseur
kilron doesn't litterkilron doesn't litter

Device: iPod touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
actually, "re-launch" would be more accurate. this thing has actually been out for quite a while. it's a non-story. they're just trying to cash in on the iPad hype.
kilron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 04:15 PM   #6
CyGuy
Avid Reader
CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 902, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, ASUS TF700, and Cybook Gen III
Overall the specs look very good, but if it really is 35mm thick, that is way too thick.
CyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 05:11 PM   #7
sianon
Addict
sianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony 500, Bebook, Kindle, Eco reader Drs and soon the Archos 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by random50 View Post
I don't think the difference between very thin and ridiculously thin, or between very light and very, very light, is really worth caring about.

Battery life is an issue, though.
At 1.18kg, this is far to heavy for casuual portable use.
sianon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 05:19 PM   #8
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
There are things X2 doesn't want to mention, but can be found if you look hard enough.

Weight:
iTablet: 1.18kg
iPad: 0.68kg

Thickness:
iTablet: 35mm
iPad: 13.4mm

Battery life:
iTablet: Unknown. Previous version had 4 hour battery life.
iPad: 10 hours.

Hmm... over 50% heavier, and over 150% thicker.
But, if you want a laptop in a pad form, that is what it takes.... people whine about the iPad not having all that, well it's not a laptop in a pad format... this is....

Looks good btw, if I wanted a laptop replacement I would sure look seriously at it.....
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 05:52 PM   #9
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
...and I wouldn't, without pricing details.
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 08:34 PM   #10
mollybo
Connoisseur
mollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with others

Device: Rocket eBook, Gemstar, and Kindle 3
I've been looking at the Archos 9 tablet, and am just about sold. Not so much for reading, but for a sort of netbook with a better form factor. And, since it's Windows 7, it will run Flash. Cons include a resistive screen, but I can live with that as it has an optical mouse pointer under the right thumb and left and right mouse buttons under the left.

Specs are here. (Link goes to archos.com)
mollybo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 09:05 PM   #11
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollybo View Post
I've been looking at the Archos 9 tablet, and am just about sold. Not so much for reading, but for a sort of netbook with a better form factor. And, since it's Windows 7, it will run Flash. Cons include a resistive screen, but I can live with that as it has an optical mouse pointer under the right thumb and left and right mouse buttons under the left.

Specs are here. (Link goes to archos.com)
This captured my attention as well. The lack of Windows 7 tablet functionality ruins it (for me). Great looking device with a practical form factor.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 09:45 PM   #12
mollybo
Connoisseur
mollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with others

I'm thinking about upgrading it to Windows 7 Home (or whatever it's called) to get the tablet functionality - I think it's about $80. I'm a little hesitant because of the slightly lightweight specs, but I might try it as a test. On the other hand, I have a 2003 TabletPC now that I use as a laptop 99% of the time, so I doubt I'd miss the lack of tablet support ... I think I'm sold either way. Just waiting for the tax refund to order.
Old 02-06-2010, 09:55 PM   #13
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollybo View Post
I'm thinking about upgrading it to Windows 7 Home (or whatever it's called) to get the tablet functionality - I think it's about $80. I'm a little hesitant because of the slightly lightweight specs, but I might try it as a test. On the other hand, I have a 2003 TabletPC now that I use as a laptop 99% of the time, so I doubt I'd miss the lack of tablet support ... I think I'm sold either way. Just waiting for the tax refund to order.
You're right about the lightweight specs, to be able to support what you plan on doing. I had a Gateway Tablet PC that I used as a tablet quite often. I think my ideal tablet is on the horizon; the Archos comes quite close. Congrats on your planned purchase.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 09:31 AM   #14
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
That Archos 9 looks nice, and it is available.... pretty cool.... Congrats, and hope you get it soon!
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 09:36 PM   #15
mollybo
Connoisseur

I ordered it a few hours ago, should have it this week. Mmmm, shiny new gadget.