Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-26-2008, 06:49 PM   #1
brewt
Boo-Frickety-Hoo-Erizer
brewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Glo HD!
Gui confusements.

There's some things I don't understand in the gui that no doubt make marvellous sense - just not to me:

In the Configuration/General, there's a "Format for Single File Save" with lots of choices - is that the base input file format, or something else?

In Edit Metadata/Fetch Meta Data from Server, I keep getting an "Access Key Error", and no place to enter my username/password for ISBNdb.com - do I just not know where to see that?

When I add an html file to convert to either epub or lrf, a zip file is made. When I discover that I've done something hideously wrong in the html file, and have to correct it, the only way I can my changes to update is to delete the book from the gui, and start all over. Am I not doing this right?

When I add an html file (drag & drop), there is a window that comes up that says "Adding books" that takes a loooong time to go away. I can even have the book fully converted before it goes away - am I missing a configuration thing?

What's the difference (in epub output) between PRS505 profile and none?

-bjc
brewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 08:51 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
When I add an html file to convert to either epub or lrf, a zip file is made. When I discover that I've done something hideously wrong in the html file, and have to correct it, the only way I can my changes to update is to delete the book from the gui, and start all over. Am I not doing this right?
You can add or remove files associated with a book entry via the dialog for editing the metadata.

Quote:
When I add an html file (drag & drop), there is a window that comes up that says "Adding books" that takes a loooong time to go away. I can even have the book fully converted before it goes away - am I missing a configuration thing?
This is a new feature in the latest release. I am also finding this dialog never dies. I am running on Windows XP SP3.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 12:18 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
That is the format that is saved when you select save only single format from the save to disk drop down menu

There is a field at the top of the fetch metadata dialog where you are supposed to enter your isbnd key

definitely a bug

file splitting on size and magnification of small cover images
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 01:01 PM   #4
brewt
Boo-Frickety-Hoo-Erizer
brewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
You can add or remove files associated with a book
When I try to add the source html, it comes in as a zip file.

bjc
Old 12-27-2008, 01:07 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewt View Post
When I try to add the source html, it comes in as a zip file.

bjc
That's because all the files the html file links to are added to the zip file. You can disable this behavior in the config dialog under plugins
Old 12-27-2008, 01:20 PM   #6
brewt
Boo-Frickety-Hoo-Erizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
That's because all the files the html file links to are added to the zip file. You can disable this behavior in the config dialog under plugins
So, does that mean I would have to add all the html files individually, or just the toc, and would the links work on rebuild?

Or, do I delete the zip file, re-add the html toc file, which would then catch all my changes?

-bjc
Old 12-27-2008, 01:40 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Or, do I delete the zip file, re-add the html toc file, which would then catch all my changes?

-bjc
that should do the trick
Old 12-30-2008, 12:08 PM   #8
brewt
Boo-Frickety-Hoo-Erizer

There's a place on the right side for passwordy stuff to Librarything, - that works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
There is a field at the top of the fetch metadata dialog where you are supposed to enter your isbndb key
Man oh man, I'm blind - don't see it working. The access key line keeps autofilling with an ISBN number, if I know it. I've tried everything else - usernames, passwords, etc.

And I registered at isbndb through the link and everything.

When I go to the link for isbndb, it asks me for a username and password, and I got nothing in the mail. No access key. Did they change something, or did my mail provider filter something (for once)?

Never mind. Finally found where to generate an access key here:

https://isbndb.com/account/dev/keys/

-bjc
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	blind.jpg
Views:	576
Size:	426.3 KB
ID:	20094  

Last edited by brewt; 12-30-2008 at 12:16 PM.
Old 12-30-2008, 12:16 PM   #9
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
When I go to the link for isbndb, it asks me for a username and password, and I got nothing in the mail. No access key. Did they change something, or did my mail provider filter something (for once)?
-bjc
When you go to ISBNDB.com and log in using the Account link at the top. Then got to "Developer Area / API" link. From there link on Manage Access keys. If you have no keys listed you need to click "generate a new key". Other wise you just copy the key that is listed. This is the key you have to provide to calibre in the "Access Key" field on the fetch metadata from server dialog.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote