Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 12-21-2008, 08:24 AM   #1
Seabound
Steerage Class
Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Won't fit here anymore, see sig for a list of liseuses.
I am very disappointed in MobileRead members

My great disappointment is made all the more tragic because I have learned to like many of you. Apparently, MobileRead members sleep. I do not make this accusation lightly--I have evidence. Evidence which I accidentally came by as that timeless classic, "Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer," was wafting from my radio. It is almost Christmas, after all. But I digress.

To wit. May I direct your attention to the attached graphic, on which the salient points which build my case are highlighted. The first glaring evidence is at once damning. The text highlighted in red shows a puny total of 12 MobileRead members who were active at the time the evidence was gathered. Uhuh, twelve. Out of 25,938 members. Further, the very short list of user names shows the conspicuous absence of the most eminent MobileRead members. Where were the usual suspects?

You will note from the time highlighted in green that this fiasco happened precisely at 11:06 PM my local time, on a Saturday in the Pacific Northwest. That translates to Sunday, 2:06 AM in New York, 7:06 AM in London, 8:06 AM in Paris and Vienna, 4:06 PM in Seoul and Tokyo, 6:06 PM in Sydney--you get the picture. MobileRead apparently consists of an international collaboration of snoozers, regardless of time zone. It was utterly astounding that, at this time of the day, forum posts were few and far between. Not a llama in sight. Not that I know what that would look like.

Finally, to behold the most convincing evidence yet that MobileRead members succumb to sleep, please direct your attention to the text highlighted in purple(ish), in which an unsuspecting member was caught in the act, so to speak. And I quote, "...so I'm off to bed." The preponderance of zzzzzz's right before this hapless admission convinces me that the bed was to be used for deep slumber and not for some other purpose.

I rest my case. Needless to say, I am crushed.

Seabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 08:40 AM   #2
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Sorry, but I had a squirrel to catch and I usually do better when I do that on the couch with my eyes closed. Also, I had a note from my mother.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 08:40 AM   #3
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Okay Seabound, here are some points you apparently missed:

You specifically stated: "I REST my case" as in putting your case to bed. Nice choice of words

It is essential MobileRead members get some sleep or how else can we productively participate on-line when we're at work and supposed to be doing our jobs instead of mindlessly wandering around MobileRead?
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 08:55 AM   #4
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
seabound, i'm terribly sorry that you had to stumble upon our shameful secret this way. lord knows i do my best to avoid sleep, which is ironic since i love it so, and frequently am loitering around here well into the single-digit hours after dark. so much so that in fact Zzzzelda is the familiar MR name for 4 o'clock in the morning, hour at which i am all too frequently *still* posting pointless inanities around the llounge. as you can see Am also makes a great effort ; although england is one hour behind france, she nearly made it to zzzelda, Paris time, as my chat box shows her post at 3:36 am. and patricia also is rather notorious for apparently never sleeping, as you will easily discover if you take a look at the time stamps on the books she posts. which would seem to indicate that the european contingent is doing most of the heavy lifting around here during the dark hours, while the american contingent apparently goes to sleep with the chickens (why, i don't know. all that clucking would certainly keep me awake).

however, like most members despite my valiant efforts i do eventually succomb as morpheus can be quite irresistible when he puts his mind to it. i also make it a point never ever to be awake at 8:06 in the morning if i can at all avoid it. everyone knows that getting up that early is very bad for your health and can in fact prove fatal to those unprepared by a long and grueling preparatory training. i've had some very near misses personally. and trust me, you'd much rather live without me for a few hours while i sleep than have a sleep-deprived zelda to deal with 24 hours a day.

i would agree with you that things are unusually quiet around here lately however, but i blame the holidays. christmas is infamous for disrupting the natural flow of things in a thoroughly artificial way and my only suggestion to you is to grit your teeth and wait it out. soon pshrynk will be back from his holidays, dreamer will also return to her place here, and all the other usual suspects will return to their normal activities for your interactively absurd enjoyment. you can do your part by not logging off at all until then, because i must agree, only 12 members on line is frankly sad.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 09:12 AM   #5
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
.... i must agree, only 12 members on line is frankly sad.

There might have been heaps of people on the boards, but not logged on.

I only log on when I have something of vital importance to post.
The rest of the time I'm lurking.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 09:16 AM   #6
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
There might have been heaps of people on the boards, but not logged on.

I only log on when I have something of vital importance to post.
The rest of the time I'm lurking.
oooh, sneaky !!!
Old 12-21-2008, 09:23 AM   #7
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
oooh, sneaky !!!
Sparrow probably just lurks to eye you in your socks and mittens and not be seen, Zee. I know that's what I do. And you just think that pshwynk's not around.
Old 12-21-2008, 09:25 AM   #8
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
A few of us might be ...ahem .... otherwise occupied. Especially after an evening at the Do Drop Inn...
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 09:31 AM   #9
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
Sparrow probably just lurks to eye you in your socks and mittens and not be seen, Zee. I know that's what I do. And you just think that pshwynk's not around.
/looks suspiciously over shoulder

pshw-- ahem. pshrynk ? is that you ?? sparrow ??? vr ???? i see that curtain moving...

ah, nope, false alarm. it was just the cat.
Old 12-21-2008, 09:33 AM   #10
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
I can't resist a woman in a tea-cosy.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 09:34 AM   #11
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
i'm sorry, are you disparaging my hat ??? i'll have you know i made it myself.
Old 12-21-2008, 09:46 AM   #12
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?

Quote:
I know. It gets me all hot and bothered, too.
Old 12-21-2008, 09:46 AM   #13
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
You have a hat and mittens!

Sleep is one of those things I wish I had a clone for. I love it, but I'd far rather not have to do it myself. So long as I get to remember the dreams...
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 09:48 AM   #14
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortNCuddlyAm View Post
You have a hat and mittens!

Sleep is one of those things I wish I had a clone for. I love it, but I'd far rather not have to do it myself. So long as I get to remember the dreams...
that's exactly how i feel ! i love it, but i'd love to skip it...

(you can thank pilotbob for the hat and mittens. see signature links.)
Old 12-21-2008, 10:57 AM   #15
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
You are lucky Seabound, you received a response directly from Zelda -- several in fact. After detailed research I have discovered that she sleeps exactly six (6) hours a week. VR naps all day dreaming of catching squirrels so he averages about 16 hours a day. Some of the cats around here may top 20 hours of sleep a day.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote