Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-30-2013, 04:35 PM   #18046
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Two nights ago I finished New Year Island, which was a great read. Normally I'm not one to guess who the bad guy is but this book kept me guessing.

I'm now half way through The Anonymous Venetian, third book in the Commissario Brunetti series, my favourite cozy series at the moment. I love it how the mystery at times is less important than than Venice, its citizens, food and Guido's family. It reminds me a bit f Midsomer Murder (the tv series at least).
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 04:46 PM   #18047
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: The Man Who Sold the Moon/Orphans in the Sky by Robert A. Heinlein. A Baen omnibus edition.
I'd read them both before, but they certainly stand a re-read.

Next up: Unnatural Creatures edited by Neil Gaiman. A collection of stories about mythical creatures. A very recent purchase (27th October!).
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2013, 06:20 PM   #18048
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelleZora View Post
Hope that you like Kindred. I thought it was an excellent read. I just finished Wilt #1, thanks to a recommendation on this thread...probably from you. Very funny.
The second Wilt is good too. I'll let you know how I get on with Kindred in a few days (takes me about 3 or 4 days to get through a book nowadays - how I miss my carefree youth when I could easily get through 2 or 3 a day).
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 12:38 PM   #18049
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
I'm reading With The Lightnings by David Drake. I'm loving the main characters and finally there's some action happening in the story. It's about time I read some more of the Baen books I've been collecting.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 12:43 PM   #18050
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I've just finished "Sorceress of Darshiva", the 4th book in David Eddings's "Mallorean" fantasy series. Classic fantasy, and highly recommended.

On next to "The Listerdale Mystery", a book of Agatha Christie short stories.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2013, 09:33 PM   #18051
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Side Jobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
I liked The Green Mill Murder a lot and was gratified to find Phryne flying her Gipsy Moth (named Rigel) again!

Next, I'm going back to my annual re-read (I paused this re-read a while back so it would end a little closer to the Publication date of Book #15, Skin Game) of Jim Butcher's, The Dresden Files. with Changes (The Dresden Files #12)!
My re-read of Changes was just plain awesome! I've skipped all the associated short stories during this re-read, So I've decided to add them here toward the end of the re-read. There are 7 short stories that I'm aware of that haven't yet made it into a Dresden Files collection including one which hasn't yet been published anywhere. And then there's Side Jobs (Stories From the Dresden Files) which I'm reading next.

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 01:08 AM   #18052
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Currently reading, back and forth between audio and ebook, At all Costs, #11 in the mainline Honor Harrington series. I started reading these because I got some good deals at Audible and I figured they'd be good workout books. And mostly they are, though I'm reminded that Weber desperately needs to put his books on a massive diet. His early works in the series are good, but some of these in the middle are hopelessly flabby and overweight. #10, War of Honor, was just awful. But they seem to be a bit better now. Probably because there is more relationship stuff in this one than pure MilSF. IAC, I'm enjoying #11 more than I did #10.
But first, a diversion to read Shadow of Saganami, the first book in the Saganami side-line of the Honorverse. I really needed to read this before I went any further in the mainline story. Much better to read about all the events in the Talbot cluster and then come back to Honor.

Meanwhile, when I want a break from the Honorverse, I've been reading the new Jack Frost mysteries. And enjoying them a lot.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 04:11 PM   #18053
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
Just finished reading the Liaden Universe Necessity's Child -

On to Trade Secret after a refresh reading of Balance of Trade
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 07:52 PM   #18054
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
But first, a diversion to read Shadow of Saganami, the first book in the Saganami side-line of the Honorverse. I really needed to read this before I went any further in the mainline story. Much better to read about all the events in the Talbot cluster and then come back to Honor.

Meanwhile, when I want a break from the Honorverse, I've been reading the new Jack Frost mysteries. And enjoying them a lot.

Oooh, I really enjoyed Shadow of Saganami and the follow up, Storm from the Shadows. Both a great diversion from the main line while keeping in the same universe. I really liked the new characters introduced in Shadow of Saganami.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 08:07 PM   #18055
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
I am currently reading Catalyst of Sorrows (Star Trek: Lost Era VI) on my Kindle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sorrows.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	18.6 KB
ID:	114536  
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 01:17 AM   #18056
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewmartigan View Post
Oooh, I really enjoyed Shadow of Saganami and the follow up, Storm from the Shadows. Both a great diversion from the main line while keeping in the same universe. I really liked the new characters introduced in Shadow of Saganami.
Yes. Good characters, and generally much tighter writing. Plus I'm really tired of making the Havenites the bad guys, it's time for someone really evil. But hardly any time at all to read or even listen to it. Busy trying to get caught back up on my work. Going from no work for way too long to now being WAY overloaded. And I can't afford to screw up any deadlines.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 03:27 AM   #18057
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I'm currently reading Scarlet by Stephen R. Lawhead, second book in his King Raven trilogy. It's a retelling of Robin Hood, but set about a century earlier and in Wales rather than Sheffield. The first book was told mostly from the perspective of Bran y Hud (Robin Hood). This book is set a year after the end of the first book and is told by Will Scarlet. It took me a while to get used to Will Scarlet's way of speaking, but once I got into it it's a good story.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 04:17 AM   #18058
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Been so long since I posted here.

I'm back on my Agatha Christie binge. Currently reading The Murder of Roger Ackroyd.
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 07:30 AM   #18059
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
INext up: Unnatural Creatures edited by Neil Gaiman. A collection of stories about mythical creatures. A very recent purchase (27th October!).
An interesting collection of old and new stories by a variety of authors. Of the ones new to me (but not actually new) I really liked "Come Lady Death" and "Sunbird".

Next: Grantville Gazette #50. The latest issue of the on-going short story magazine mostly set in Eric Flint's 1632 universe.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 07:41 AM   #18060
bookaho!ic
Evangelist
bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo Aura H20 2nd Ed
currently re-reading Under the Dome - I bought it for ereader (have pb) in the sainsburys ebook sale
bookaho!ic is offline   Reply With Quote