Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-09-2012, 10:52 AM   #1
expatCanuck
expatCanuck began at the beginning.

Device: nook simple touch
nook ST 101 - text scrolls off page ??

Greetings -

Is there any left-right scroll on the nook Simple Touch (or, for that matter, the kindle)?

I ask because of my experience with a couple of introductory Spanish text samples.
One was Spanish Demystified -- wonderful intro text, LOUSY nook implementation.

Of the dozen or two non-copyright / introduction pages in the sample, four pages had text that scrolled completely off the right edge of the screen, & I could determine no way to read it.

In another Spanish text I tried (Spanish Made Simple, Nemethy) I found that text in a right-hand-most 'newspaper' column snaked down the right-hand side of the screen -- the column was far too narrow for the text. Resizing the font to the smallest size improved, but did not remedy, the problem.

[As an aside, I noted that much of the Spanish text in Demystified seemed to be on images or 'plates', which didn't resize when I made the font size bigger -- a tragic flaw. Can one zoom in on an image? Or reorient the nook to landscape mode?]

Increasingly, my impression is that e-publication is just not yet ready for prime time -- at least, not on basic e-readers -- for anything other than a straight novel.

Insight / opinions most welcome.

Thanks,

- Richard

Last edited by expatCanuck; 06-09-2012 at 11:02 AM.
expatCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 11:03 AM   #2
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCanuck View Post
Greetings -

Is there any left-right scroll on the nook Simple Touch (or, for that matter, the kindle)?

I ask because I downloaded a title sample, Spanish Demystified.
(Wonderful intro text, LOUSY nook implementation.)

Of the dozen or two non-copyright / introduction pages in the sample, four pages had text that scrolled completely off the right edge of the screen, & I could determine no way to read it.

In another Spanish text I tried, I found that text in a 3rd 'newspaper' column snaked down the right-hand side of the screen -- the column was far too narrow for the text.

[As an aside, I noted that much of the Spanish text seemed to be on images or 'plates', which didn't resize when I made the font size bigger. Can one zoom in on an image?]

Also - is there a way to zoom in on text, or reorient the nook to landscape mode?

Increasingly, my impression is that this e-publication is just not yet ready for prime time -- at least, not on e-readers -- for anything other than a straight novel.

Insight / opinions most welcome.

Thanks,

- Richard
Sounds like you are reading PDF files. PDF is not a good format for e-readers, because usually those files are not formatted for such a small screen.
E-readers like the NST are optimized for reading straight novels (epub format). If you want to read other material you would be better off buying a tablet.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 02:06 PM   #3
expatCanuck
expatCanuck began at the beginning.

Device: nook simple touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by geertm View Post
Sounds like you are reading PDF files. ...
If they're .pdf files, they're coming from B&N.

These are't files that I created/uploaded myself.
expatCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 03:38 PM   #4
daxbr
daxbr began at the beginning.

Device: kindle1, kindle7
Bought "Spanish Made Simple" mobi format from AMZN and had the very same problem. Ended up buying paper book from BN and found much easier to study (easier to refer/find previous material). Also impossible to immediately locate study subject if teacher works from paper book.
daxbr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
edge, scroll, scrolling