Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 07-16-2013, 12:07 PM   #1
HardwareLust
HardwareLust knows the square root of minus one.HardwareLust knows the square root of minus one.HardwareLust knows the square root of minus one.HardwareLust knows the square root of minus one.HardwareLust knows the square root of minus one.HardwareLust knows the square root of minus one.HardwareLust knows the square root of minus one.HardwareLust knows the square root of minus one.HardwareLust knows the square root of minus one.HardwareLust knows the square root of minus one.HardwareLust knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony PRS-950, Nook Color/Tablet, Kobo Aura HD/Mini, Kindle Paperwhite
HD+ going on sale...should I upgrade my Nook Tablet to an HD+?

I saw an ad today for 16gb HD+ for $129 shipped, which is a good price. I've been a B&N customer and user for a long time, started with Nook Color, and I now use a Nook Tablet.

Was curious what people thought about the idea of replacing a Nook Tablet with an HD+. The idea of a bigger screen with higher pixel density appeals to me. I will be primarily using this as a ereader.

Has anyone already done this? Would love to hear what you think.
HardwareLust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 12:27 PM   #2
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardwareLust View Post
I saw an ad today for 16gb HD+ for $129 shipped, which is a good price. I've been a B&N customer and user for a long time, started with Nook Color, and I now use a Nook Tablet.

Was curious what people thought about the idea of replacing a Nook Tablet with an HD+. The idea of a bigger screen with higher pixel density appeals to me. I will be primarily using this as a ereader.

What store was that and do you have a link? That price is $20 lower than other stores.

I picked up an HD+ for videos and magazines. For that, it's great! Since I don't read books on LCD devices, I can't comment on using it as an ereader.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 12:35 PM   #3
Rbneader
Fanatic
Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
It is fantastic as an ereader. In some ways it's easier on the eyes than my eInk device (eInk flash really annoys me). The high resolution makes reading and web browsing very nice. I can read on it for hours without problems, and I love using it in bed because the screen lightness can actually go from bright to dim where my other tablet just went from very-bright to not-as-bright. It's also a very capable tablet. The downside is that it's a little large for carrying around all the time.
Rbneader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 12:41 PM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
If it's the one from 1 Sale A Day it's "Certified Pre-Owned" (still has a 1 year warranty, but IDK if it's through B&N or a third party). For $20 more you can get a brand new one from B&N and a bunch of other retailers. Just something to be aware of.

Quote:
I have both. The HD+ screen is simply beautiful, however make sure the extra weight of a larger tablet won't be a problem for you. The other benefit is that the HD+ has Google Play so it's not nearly as locked down as the Nook Tab. The HD+ is especially great for magazines and comics.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 04:42 AM   #5
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:

I did it because I found the price for the HD+ with 32GB too alluring. I have had the HD+ for a month now.

Bottom line is that if you are mainly interested in it as a reader, don't spend the money on the HD+, spend the money on books. The reading experience is not really all that different, certainly not different enough to warrant replacing a working Tablet with an HD+.

What I find is this: When I am sitting in the living room reading, I use the HD+; when I go to bed, I sue my Tablet. The tablet's size is much easier to handle and hold than the HD+.

I also find that I really hate the constant updating from Google. I'm not all that fond of Chrome, Google+, and the other Google products to begin with, and I rarely use the device to "explore" the Internet, so the constant updating, nearly everyday, while I'm reading is annoying.

I admit that the online experience and watching Netflix is better on the HD+, but I was (and am) satisfied with the experience on the Tablet -- it isn't as good but it is more than good enough considering how rarely I make use of the features.

Some features for reading seem to work easier on the Tablet than on the HD+. Maybe it is because I am more used to them on the Tablet, but I don't think so. I find it easier, for example, to get to a specific location on the Tablet than on the HD+.

Anyway, if you are really only interested in it for reading, I'd say stick with the Tablet and spend the money on books.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 07:04 AM   #6
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
You can turn off automatic updates if it bothers you.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 07:10 AM   #7
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I also find the HD+ really large for reading text novels. Others disagree, so it's a personal experience. Yesterday I got a Nook HD (the 7" size) and it was perfect for reading on. (I got it for my daughter...may have to get one for myself).
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 04:58 PM   #8
forumshrew
forumshrew understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.forumshrew understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.forumshrew understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.forumshrew understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.forumshrew understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.forumshrew understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.forumshrew understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.forumshrew understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.forumshrew understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.forumshrew understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.forumshrew understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.

Device: Asus Transformer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
You can turn off automatic updates if it bothers you.
Apache
Can you tell me how to do that? I've searched all over. I do not want my apps automatically updated. Thank you
forumshrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:55 PM   #9
livramax
Addict
livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Aura HD, Galaxy Note 8, Fire HD10, Galaxy S6 Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by forumshrew View Post
Can you tell me how to do that? I've searched all over. I do not want my apps automatically updated. Thank you
It should be in the Settings of the Google Play Store app.
livramax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:58 PM   #10
kizi2
kizi2 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!kizi2 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!kizi2 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!kizi2 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!kizi2 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!kizi2 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!kizi2 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!kizi2 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!kizi2 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!kizi2 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!kizi2 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: sonny
I get a lot of great information here and this is what I am searching for. Thank you for your sharing. I have bookmark this page for my future reference.
kizi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 05:34 AM   #11
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There are two settings to uncheck. Go to Google Play and open settings on the top right. The upright three blocks and then choose settings from the drop down list. Uncheck Notifications. This will prevent Google Play from notifying you of updates. Touch Auto=update below Notifications and choose Do not auto update.
Apache
Old 07-23-2013, 01:25 PM   #12
khahoon
Connoisseur
khahoon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.khahoon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.khahoon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.khahoon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.khahoon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.khahoon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.khahoon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.khahoon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.khahoon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.khahoon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.khahoon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: generic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
There are two settings to uncheck. Go to Google Play and open settings on the top right. The upright three blocks and then choose settings from the drop down list. Uncheck Notifications. This will prevent Google Play from notifying you of updates. Touch Auto=update below Notifications and choose Do not auto update.
Apache
I doubt that disables ATO for Nook itself, only got Gplay.
khahoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 05:28 PM   #13
Apache
Readaholic

Switch all of your apps from the Nook Store to the Google store and you will be fine.
Apache
Old 07-23-2013, 05:30 PM   #14
Apache
Readaholic

You can also go to Applications/ My Apps and block each App individually.
Apache
Old 07-24-2013, 04:39 PM   #15
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
I also went from the Nook Tablet to the HD+. I got mine last year on Black Friday for $229 (when they were still $279). I use the Kindle app on it and my Android phone so I can sideload the same book to both and have it synchronize. I think the HD+ is great for reading books, and I also use it for reading magazines and checking my Gmail. I have little kids, so I use my HD+ with ear buds to watch my violent "man" movies without upsetting the kiddies. I gave my Nook Tablet to my sister and don't miss it a bit.
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote