Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 07-11-2013, 05:24 PM   #1
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
Nook HD - using abroad

My friend wants to buy a Nook HD in the UK and give it as a gift to her brother in Zimbabwae. Will it work outside of the UK ?

How will the registration work?

Or would she be better off getting a nexus 7?
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:02 PM   #2
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanghaichica View Post
My friend wants to buy a Nook HD in the UK and give it as a gift to her brother in Zimbabwae. Will it work outside of the UK ?

How will the registration work?

Or would she be better off getting a nexus 7?
You can register it and use it anywhere, but there will be restrictions for purchasing books and apps based on your location.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:06 PM   #3
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
You can register it and use it anywhere, but there will be restrictions for purchasing books and apps based on your location.
Thanks. So is is better for her to register it over here or can it be registered in Zimbabwe ?

Her brother will use the play store to buy apps.
Old 07-12-2013, 02:12 AM   #4
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanghaichica View Post
Thanks. So is is better for her to register it over here or can it be registered in Zimbabwe ?

Her brother will use the play store to buy apps.
You can register it anywhere you have wifi, but I would register it over there, some apps may not be available in Zimbabwe, so better download them before leaving.
Old 07-12-2013, 03:46 AM   #5
shanghaichica
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
You can register it anywhere you have wifi, but I would register it over there, some apps may not be available in Zimbabwe, so better download them before leaving.
Ok cool thanks for your help. I will explain this to her.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:26 AM   #6
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Apps from Google Play that have georestrictions won't download to a Google account registered to a person in the "forbidden" redion, no matter where that person happen to be at the moment. Those apps will be restricted whatever device you have.
The Barnes and Noble apps require a US/UK credit card tied to registration.
There really is very little reason to buy BN apps instead of getting them from Google apps, so don't worry too much about that.
I would suggest the person getting the device register it himself and by doing that is able to do things the way he want to right away.
I have both Nook HD and HD+ here in Sweden. I have registered them from here without any issues at all (except I can't buy things from BN, but who cares?!).
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 11:43 AM   #7
afv011
Captain Penguin

Update: misread previous post.
Old 07-13-2013, 03:54 AM   #8
shanghaichica
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
Apps from Google Play that have georestrictions won't download to a Google account registered to a person in the "forbidden" redion, no matter where that person happen to be at the moment. Those apps will be restricted whatever device you have.
The Barnes and Noble apps require a US/UK credit card tied to registration.
There really is very little reason to buy BN apps instead of getting them from Google apps, so don't worry too much about that.
I would suggest the person getting the device register it himself and by doing that is able to do things the way he want to right away.
I have both Nook HD and HD+ here in Sweden. I have registered them from here without any issues at all (except I can't buy things from BN, but who cares?!).

Thanks. Her brother would only want to download from the google play store anyway. So I will tell her that they can register it when they are both in Zimbabwe. It's only now that it has access to the google play store that I recommended it to her. She was going to get the kindle fire at first,but I said to her that her brother would probably not be able to download any apps in Zimbabwe from the amazon App Store, or buy books.
Old 07-13-2013, 05:21 AM   #9
JanG
Groupie
JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Laptop; Kobo Clara
I don't have a UK or a US credit card. I bought my Nook with cash and registered it in the store before I left. I wasn't asked for a credit card number only a legitimate email address. I use my Nook with the wifi permanently switched off.

Admittedly I have a Nook ST and not a tablet, but I should think the registration requirements would be the same.
JanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 06:53 PM   #10
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's correct that you don't need a credit card to register it. What I meant was that in order to buy stuff from BN you need a US or UK credit card.
Old 07-14-2013, 08:55 AM   #11
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
It's correct that you don't need a credit card to register it. What I meant was that in order to buy stuff from BN you need a US or UK credit card.
The credit card address is not checked.
To buy ebooks from B&N register your B&N account with an US shipping and billing addres. Any valid address will work, just google something. The credit card address is not checked, so your regular credit card will work fine.

Install an US VPN on your PC to get an US IP-address.

To buy e-books first start the VPN. When the VPN is active go to the B&N website on your PC and buy the books.
Sync the library on your Nook to download the books using Wifi.

The above will also work for the UK, using an UK address and an UK VPN. But prices (and discounts) are much better in the US, and if you use a state like NY, you do not even have to pay sales tax.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 12:03 PM   #12
Asawi
Gadgetoholic

OK, I should have added "or hide behind a VPN", but I tried keeping within the actual question assuring the OP that the device indeed can be use anywhere in world without any problems at all. No VPN or US/UK credit card needed just to use the device.

(And a s sidenote: not all credit cards can be used however even if you use a USA address. I have tried it when I've actually been in USA. One of my cards work, the other one does not. It's the same when I shop at for example Walgreens online for delivery to my perfectly legit US address.Probably because that card company has a tighter security. But that's still beside the OP's question.)

Last edited by Asawi; 07-14-2013 at 12:09 PM.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:28 AM   #13
JanG
Groupie
JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Laptop; Kobo Clara
B&N does not accept either of my Israeli credit cards. They won't even allow me to download free books.
JanG is offline   Reply With Quote