Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 01-10-2013, 01:20 AM   #46
oxen
Connoisseur
oxen , Klaatu Barada Niktu!oxen , Klaatu Barada Niktu!oxen , Klaatu Barada Niktu!oxen , Klaatu Barada Niktu!oxen , Klaatu Barada Niktu!oxen , Klaatu Barada Niktu!oxen , Klaatu Barada Niktu!oxen , Klaatu Barada Niktu!oxen , Klaatu Barada Niktu!oxen , Klaatu Barada Niktu!oxen , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Nook2, Kobo glo, Kobo mini, iPad3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arios View Post
Oxen,

Thanks for your reply.

Indeed, the error occurs while starting the software. Two options are suggested: stop or continue the program. If I continue, the program window is empty and nonfunctional.

By the way I use the latest .Net Framework.
Do you install older version of this software? May be the error caused by the old version's ini file in the install directory. Try:
1. Remove the old ini files, and then start EpubSTAR again.
or
2. Delete it after uninstalling EpubSTAR, and then reinstall it.

Last edited by oxen; 01-10-2013 at 01:23 AM.
oxen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:06 PM   #47
Arios
A curiosus lector!
Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Touch
Oxen,

My problem with EpubStar is clearly linked to. Net.

I had a look to the ini file and it was the most recent.

But I also found that ini file contains both english and Chinese comments: is it necessary?

Oxen, I think this is the problem. I bet my English version of windows 7 can not "digest" some of these characters.

I have absolutely nothing against Chinese language, but there is not so long, simple accented letters (à, é, ê, ë) had hard time displaying under Windows, and Chinese is much more complicated!

Here's what I suggest: strictly separate versions. So, for the Chinese version which seems to work well: all in Chinese.

For "international" version you should, IMO, put all program modules exclusively in English: so no Chinese comments or Chinese caracters which could break the program!

Thus, your program is more likely to be "fully" compatible if my guess is good enough.

By the way, have you been able to test it on different English or, for example, French versions of win (xp, Vista, 7) to see what happen there with EpubStar?
Arios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:15 AM   #48
oxen
Connoisseur
oxen , Klaatu Barada Niktu!oxen , Klaatu Barada Niktu!oxen , Klaatu Barada Niktu!oxen , Klaatu Barada Niktu!oxen , Klaatu Barada Niktu!oxen , Klaatu Barada Niktu!oxen , Klaatu Barada Niktu!oxen , Klaatu Barada Niktu!oxen , Klaatu Barada Niktu!oxen , Klaatu Barada Niktu!oxen , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Thank you very much! I'll try to do as you say.

Quote:
Oxen,

My problem with EpubStar is clearly linked to. Net.

I had a look to the ini file and it was the most recent.

But I also found that ini file contains both english and Chinese comments: is it necessary?

Oxen, I think this is the problem. I bet my English version of windows 7 can not "digest" some of these characters.

I have absolutely nothing against Chinese language, but there is not so long, simple accented letters (à, é, ê, ë) had hard time displaying under Windows, and Chinese is much more complicated!

Here's what I suggest: strictly separate versions. So, for the Chinese version which seems to work well: all in Chinese.

For "international" version you should, IMO, put all program modules exclusively in English: so no Chinese comments or Chinese caracters which could break the program!

Thus, your program is more likely to be "fully" compatible if my guess is good enough.

By the way, have you been able to test it on different English or, for example, French versions of win (xp, Vista, 7) to see what happen there with EpubStar?
Old 01-12-2013, 03:11 PM   #49
Arios
A curiosus lector!
Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You are welcome Oxen!

By the way, I read on by-smart.com web site (http://www.by-smart.com/epubstar/setup_en.html) the requirements needed for EpubSTAR (ES) and, frankly, it is far too demanding!

Here is why.

• Regarding .NET. Well, many win users have already it, so it's not a big problem. But that does not mean that all win users would install it on their computer just to use ES.
  • In my opinion, this is not a good idea that ES can automatically download .NET. I think it is imperative to ask the user before, so he or she can decide if it should be added or not.

"Install Microsoft Word. If you want to use the feature of "WORD to EPUB", Word 2003 or higher version is also required." [Quotes are from the by-smart web site]

Pardon me Oxen, I really don't want to be rude, but this is a bit ridiculous. I do not know how much it cost for a genuine copy of Word where you live, but in North America and Europe:
  1. it is an expensive piece of software;
  2. there are other free and good options like OpenOffice or LibreOffice;
  3. and, possibly, many users don't care about it (MS Word).

So you share a tool that is not able to works completely by itself! Too bad! Oxen, why not include support for odt files?

"temporarily close the related security software"

Frankly, nobody will disconnect his firewall to install this kind of program: this is not a safe option.

"because EpubSTAR need to download data such as Oxen's styles"

Not very good either here. If ES needs these files, they must absolutely be included within the program.

Sorry Oxen, but as it is currently configured, I could not install EpubSTAR, even if my previously reported problems were resolved.

Good luck anyway!
Old 01-13-2013, 01:14 AM   #50
oxen
Connoisseur

Thank you very much! Your so suggestion is of great value. I will think over your suggestion, and try to to follow your recommendations to improve the program.

The following explains a few questions :
  1. About installing .NET: The installation program could automatically determine whether need to install. NET. In fact, most of the PC has. NET, so it will not repeat the installation. Installation Guide has been given the relevant statements. Nevertheless, your advice is right --- "he or she can decide if it should be added or not."
  2. About the MS Word: EpubSTAR have two functions: Text-to-EPUB and Word-to-EPUB which the former does not require pre-installed MS WORD. Without MS Word, we could generate completely epub eBook with Text-to-EPUB function of EpubSTAR. Now, I am developing version 3.0, and it can generate EPUB ebook, with Word-to-EPUB function and without MS WORD.
  3. Security software problem of false positives: It is said that for a Chinese anti-virus software that contains malicious tendencies. In fact, most of the users haven't this problem because without installing that anti-virus software.
  4. Oxen's style download problem: You are right and the Oxen's style has been integrated in the program (in the "css" subdirectory). But the style sheet file is updated frequently, but EpubSTAR infrequently. Therefore it is necessary to download and update the new versions of Oxen's Style and other built-in style sheets.
Thanks again for your valuable advice, I will work hard to improve the software to facilitate the needs of the e-book lovers.

Quote:
You are welcome Oxen!

By the way, I read on by-smart.com web site (http://www.by-smart.com/epubstar/setup_en.html) the requirements needed for EpubSTAR (ES) and, frankly, it is far too demanding!

Here is why.

• Regarding .NET. Well, many win users have already it, so it's not a big problem. But that does not mean that all win users would install it on their computer just to use ES.
  • In my opinion, this is not a good idea that ES can automatically download .NET. I think it is imperative to ask the user before, so he or she can decide if it should be added or not.

"Install Microsoft Word. If you want to use the feature of "WORD to EPUB", Word 2003 or higher version is also required." [Quotes are from the by-smart web site]

Pardon me Oxen, I really don't want to be rude, but this is a bit ridiculous. I do not know how much it cost for a genuine copy of Word where you live, but in North America and Europe:
  1. it is an expensive piece of software;
  2. there are other free and good options like OpenOffice or LibreOffice;
  3. and, possibly, many users don't care about it (MS Word).

So you share a tool that is not able to works completely by itself! Too bad! Oxen, why not include support for odt files?

"temporarily close the related security software"

Frankly, nobody will disconnect his firewall to install this kind of program: this is not a safe option.

"because EpubSTAR need to download data such as Oxen's styles"

Not very good either here. If ES needs these files, they must absolutely be included within the program.

Sorry Oxen, but as it is currently configured, I could not install EpubSTAR, even if my previously reported problems were resolved.

Good luck anyway!

Last edited by oxen; 01-13-2013 at 01:16 AM.
Old 01-13-2013, 04:36 PM   #51
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
You might want to take a look at http://mono-project.com/Main_Page which is an open source .net environment for use on platforms other than windows.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:59 PM   #52
Arios
A curiosus lector!

Oxen,

I like your fairplay and your open mind. I am sure you really want to help.

Quote:
Now, I am developing version 3.0, and it can generate EPUB ebook, with Word-to-EPUB function and without MS WORD.
This is a very good move and doing that EpubSTAR can be certainly more easily adopted.

For 4 : just indicate to download it when necessary ?

DaleDe's suggestion seems promising.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:14 PM   #53
oxen
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
You might want to take a look at http://mono-project.com/Main_Page which is an open source .net environment for use on platforms other than windows.

Dale
Thanks! I'll visit this website for learning more and improving my app.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:27 PM   #54
oxen
Connoisseur

Quote:
Oxen,

I like your fairplay and your open mind. I am sure you really want to help.

This is a very good move and doing that EpubSTAR can be certainly more easily adopted.

For 4 : just indicate to download it when necessary ?

DaleDe's suggestion seems promising.
Yes, I will do my best to do it well.

Built-in styles are frequently updated and can be download by users at any time.
Click image for larger version

Name:	CssFilesForDownload.JPG
Views:	383
Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	99346
Old 01-17-2013, 10:04 AM   #55
oxen
Connoisseur

[EpubSTAR 2.6.1.30115] 2013-01-15 update:
  1. Removed the tips of the missing files when the program starts.
[EpubSTAR 2.6.1.30117] 2013-01-17 update:
  1. Optimized Word-to-EPUB's non-text objects recognition to prevent some problems caused by an unknown object.
  2. Optimized Word-to-EPUB's style name recognition.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:44 PM   #56
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Does EpubSTAR handle the garbage in Word by either removing it or fixing it?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:17 AM   #57
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
It probably uses the savetoHTML function either in Word or via .NET. If there are no additional reworks, the answer would be no.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:49 AM   #58
oxen
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Does EpubSTAR handle the garbage in Word by either removing it or fixing it?
EpubSTAR generates clean epub books without any redundant code.

Last edited by oxen; 01-18-2013 at 09:57 AM.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:30 PM   #59
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxen View Post
EpubSTAR generates clean epub books without any redundant code.
I'm not talking about redundent code. I'm talking about tidying up the messy code left behind in Word. Is that handled? I've seen Calibre conversions of Word and they are a mess. Not because of Calibre, but because of Word.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:39 PM   #60
Arios
A curiosus lector!

Oxen,

Could you please, send us an epub file created with ES?

Any text (full or in part) in the public domain in Canada would do the trick I think.

So we could look at the html code and css created by ES.

I think it would suit and please JSWolf and perhaps Toxaris .

Tags
epub app, epub application, epubstar, kf8/mobi, mobi