Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 07-15-2010, 02:57 AM   #1
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
iLiad can't read mobi/epub/txt

All of a sudden my iLiad won't open mobi/epub and txt. He is fine with PDF.
It started after I wanted to read mobi and it wouldn't open: I reflashed (I have SDK) and discovered afterwards that my battery had emptied itself spontaneously in one day. After reloading and reflashing again the icons of my books were on the screen, but mobi/txt/epub didn't open.
I did a format (with notepad ++) and that didn't help either. I also can't install FBreader and NewLister anymore. My iLiad just won't install them and only opens PDF's. What am I going to do, I've run out of tricks. I would appreciate some advice.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 04:30 AM   #2
ericshliao
Guru
ericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enough

Device: Dell X51v; iLiad v2
Did you reflash with "format" option?
It will restore your setting registry back to initial state. That is, no more shell access right. You have to request developer's package again before installing 3rd-party software.
ericshliao is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2010, 05:10 AM   #3
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, I reflashed with format option. and the log config. it says: 'Back to clean Irex default etc". I didn't think to request the SDK again, but I did and it downloaded OK.
I'm happy to say my iLiad now reads mobi and txt again, but I can't read epub as yet, because the FBreader and NewLister won't install (gives a tiny green flicker and that's it). Thank you very much for helping me.
Old 07-15-2010, 01:49 PM   #4
desertblues
Home for the moment

Question iLiad can't read mobi/epub/txt

Something is very off with my iLiad. Now it can read mobipocket, it still acts weird. When I was reading, I tried to get a smaller character, but it grew bigger (about 1/2 cm hight) and not only in the book I was reading, but in all my mobipockets. And not a chance to resize these characters; you can imagine the amount of pages the book gets to (2560 for a normal book at three words a page).Does anybody know what is the matter and why I can't run mrxvt, FBreader and NewLister? I spend the whole day formatting, putting the backup on the iLiad again and so on.
Old 07-16-2010, 08:31 PM   #5
cbell
Frenetic
cbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipse

Device: iLiad V2
I haven't heard of problems like yours, checktheblues. If I was you, I'd try to get the regular pre-installed programs working properly before installing 3rd party programs.

Have you made a successful connection to iDS since you re-installed the developer package?
Have you tried opening Mobipocket books without an expansion card (of any type) inserted in your iLiad?
Have you calibrated your stylus (unlikely to help, but won't hurt)?
Does your iLiad have plenty of charge?
Can you connect your iLiad to your computer via USB? If so, have you tried formatting the accessible user area?

Good luck!
cbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2010, 05:58 AM   #6
desertblues
Home for the moment

It is already too late. I made a connection to IDS after I re-installed the developer package, but it went wrong somehow. Now I have a frozen startscreen. When I reset the green light goes off and when I try to reflash the green light goes on again and the screen refreshes to the same startscreen and it crackles. I tried it fully charged/fully discharged. I tried to reset the iLiad while I held the downloadbutton and the on/off on the bottom (yes: three hands were needed for that). My computer doesn't recognize my iLiad anymore. So I think that is the end of the story for me. Just on the off-chance I mailed a request to iRex; they will probably not be in the mood for repairs.
Perhaps someone near Nijmegen in the Netherlands reads this and is able to help me?
Old 07-17-2010, 09:43 AM   #7
ericshliao
Guru
ericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enough

Reflash-from-CF (with format option) will recover your iLiad from all kinds of software (firmware) failure.
Old 07-17-2010, 02:02 PM   #8
desertblues
Home for the moment

Thank you for your input. This is what I did:
I downloaded a new zip with config+images. Deleted all on the config and typed: format (with notepad ++). I reflashed after a reset on the back with it on the MC, the CF and the USB (just in case; but I know only the CF should work). The same result every time: I started out with a frozen screen (picture of books iLiad etc on it)-when I tried to reflash the screen refreshed a couple of times and remained frozen afterwards. I tried it fully-half andcompletely decharged. I'm open for every new idea.
Old 07-17-2010, 11:49 PM   #9
cbell
Frenetic
cbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipse

Device: iLiad V2
I guess you've tried reflashing from the CF without editing the config file? Have the iLiad connected to charge when you reflash and remove all other expansion cards except the CF.

Maybe scandisk your CF in case it's become corrupted recently. Formatting your CF, then re-loading the images might be worthwhile.

While iRex probably can't accept your iLiad for repair, they may answer if you submit a ticket.
cbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 07:05 AM   #10
desertblues
Home for the moment

Thanks for the advice. I tried it,but the screen remains frozen. I tried to submit a ticket to iRex, but my account has been deactivated (?why). So I will try to reflash one in a while, in the hope my iLiad starts living again. We'll see.
Old 07-18-2010, 01:15 PM   #11
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by checktheblues View Post
Thanks for the advice. I tried it,but the screen remains frozen. I tried to submit a ticket to iRex, but my account has been deactivated (?why). So I will try to reflash one in a while, in the hope my iLiad starts living again. We'll see.
I think everyone's account on the tech support site has been deactivated. My guess is because they're not legally allowed to ship/receive anything anymore, which means no warranty work can be done.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 05:19 AM   #12
desertblues
Home for the moment

Uw iliad probleem heeft te maken met de gedownloade SDK, de enige solution voor uw probleem is, opnieuw her programmeren d.m.v. onze herprogrammer en omdat deze storing een niet garantie geval, vragen normaal gesproken 95 Euro voor het herprogrammeren, echter iRex company is failliet verklaard. Wil u toch gerepareerd willen hebben dan moet u wachten tot dat wij een doorstart hebben gemaakt.
Sorry voor de ongemak.

Met vriendelijke groet,

Billy Lam
----------------
iRex Technologies
Customer Service
Eindhoven
--------------------------------

This is the reply I got from iRex when I submitted a ticket yesterday (through a former contact with them by email, not through my account).
It says my problem has to do with the SDK and my iLiad needs reprogramming at iRex in Eindhoven, but they cannot undertake any repairs untill they made a restart after Chapter 11. I guess that's it for me and my iLiad. I saw a secondhand iLiad for 200 euro's somewhere, but I don't know wether it is advisable to buy it. But I'm tempted, as I was very attached to my iLiad.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:33 AM   #13
ericshliao
Guru

Quote:
It says my problem has to do with the SDK and my iLiad needs reprogramming at iRex in Eindhoven
Most-likely, the so called "reprogramming" is reflash-from-CF.
By your previous description, I guess that you never entered the reflash-from-CF successfully. If you don't enter reflash-from-CF mode, your iLiad will boot from on-board-ROM. Since you have a corrupted system, you will always get the same bad result.
Old 07-20-2010, 04:24 AM   #14
desertblues
Home for the moment

Eric; does that mean my iLiad can't be reprogrammed at all, even if iRex makes a restart? Is it worth waiting till then? I asked iRex to do it 'outside' their company, but (and I understand) they mailed they couldn't do that. I must say iRex emails me within a day and I appreciate it.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:24 AM   #15
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
It says my problem has to do with the SDK and my iLiad needs reprogramming at iRex in Eindhoven
That seems to be a pretty standard reply, which is a little disappointing. It seems like anytime there is some sort of problem, and a customer has installed the SDK, they automatically blame it on the SDK without any other suggestions/etc. Sounds like a cop-out to me.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote