Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 08-07-2006, 12:29 AM   #1
Tscherno
iLiad Geek
Tscherno began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad #505; Sony T1, Amazon Paperwhite first Gen & sec is coming!
Something New: iRex MyScript Notes

Now @ the shop:

https://www.irexshop.com/product_inf...products_id/43
Tscherno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 03:54 AM   #2
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
They are simply reselling this tool. See here for more:

http://www.visionobjects.com/product...yscript-notes/

Download here:

https://212.180.53.140/gb/store/download.asp
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-07-2006, 06:04 AM   #3
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
The page doesn't exactly give the warm snuggies that it works with the iLiad. Have you tried it?
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 06:20 AM   #4
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Well its selling cheaper at iRex so I bought mine there.

By the way, they added "State" as a field on the shipping page, yeah!

Hopefully my iLiad gets here before Aug 25!
Old 08-07-2006, 06:52 AM   #5
scotty1024
Banned

Uh you may want to wait on ordering for a day or so.

My irexshop account told me I have 5 download attempts from the not present download link and I have to use them before August 14.

Looks like a bug or two to work out on this one.
Advert
Old 08-07-2006, 07:45 AM   #6
Riocaz
Fulfilled but not by iRex
Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Far too many
Err wasn't handwriting recognition one of the original promiced utilities or is my memory faulty?
Riocaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 07:50 AM   #7
ali
Addict
ali doesn't litterali doesn't litter

Device: Iliad, dude!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riocaz
Err wasn't handwriting recognition one of the original promiced utilities or is my memory faulty?
We probably share that faulty memory. I remember it being it one of the Q4 features.
ali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 10:18 AM   #8
scotty1024
Banned

So then its early and those that don't need/want it don't have to carry the cost in the base iLiad price tag.

Works for me.
Old 08-07-2006, 11:19 AM   #9
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty1024
Well its selling cheaper at iRex so I bought mine there.
You sure? Price is listed as 59.95 EUR on both sites.
Old 08-07-2006, 11:25 AM   #10
TadW
Uebermensch

Btw, I am surprised too that they don't bundle the software with the iRex. The maker of MyScript is known to resell his app as OEM to other vendors. For instance, Logitech uses MyScript for its io2 Digital Pen. The pen costs around $150. Btw, I recommend you check out these user comments before you buy the software:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...212949?ie=UTF8

The handwriting recognition software is pretty bad, even with the latest update. I think if I were sitting at my desk printing perfectly all day long, then the software would work pretty well. But from my perspective, it fails the "real world" test. When I'm actually out and using the pen, the software doesn't have flexibility to deal with simple things that most people do as they write for longer periods -- angled text, letters with variable spacing, letters/numbers that look similar. You have to print very consistently and very precisely to get good recognition. Obviously handwriting recognition like this is a huge task and very difficult. The documentation that comes with the pen makes it clear how you need to write to make it work well -- unfortunately, the marketing information makes it sound like you can just go ahead and write away and it can handle anything, which is very misleading. FYI, the handwriting recognition software is made by a 3rd party, which means that Logitech offers basically zero support for it.
Old 08-07-2006, 11:27 AM   #11
El Chupacabra
Enthusiast
El Chupacabra began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad / Nokia 6630
I found it abusive, they expect me to buy a 60€ program that should be bundled with the iLiad as managing software. As of now the only I got from Irex is a long wait, 669€ less and late or none reply to my questions. I hope at least the device rocks and it's sufficiently open to the user community.
El Chupacabra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 11:39 AM   #12
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Digged around google for some more reviews which also cover the software:
  • http://www.desktoppipeline.com/56900484
    My single characters matched 100% but the text only hit 78%, which was unacceptable according to the training system. I couldn't really find any way to correct the problems within the software so I re-wrote the pages (more than I really wanted to do). I was a little more careful with my penmanship on the second go-round and registered an 89% match, which was good enough to use.
  • http://hardware.earthweb.com/periphe...le.php/3460441
    We were able to create enough recognizable text for a handwriting-recognition "profile" on the first try (although our usual handwriting is a mix of printing and cursive that may be easier to recognize than true cursive writing). If the program has trouble with your samples, you can correct them on the PC. Once you have a handwriting recognition profile, MyScript converts your scrawls to computer text fairly quickly and accurately; except for consistently misinterpreting a capital I, it was close to letter-perfect in our tests.
  • http://laptopmag.com/Review/Logitech...ing-System.htm
    Alas, The MyScript Notes system is not much better than the built-in ICR at recognizing even block text. It failed to recognize drawn boxes and circles, and in most cases the text was fully mangled in translation. It does come with training routines, but compared to the handwriting recognition in Microsoft Windows XP Tablet PC Edition, the MyScript routines are not even in the ballpark.
To iRex's credit, I think Logitech is also just including the trial version of MyScript.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 04:05 PM   #13
scotty1024
Banned

I've used (and still have buried someplace) the Logitech Pen (ditto a CrossPad, which seems to cross paths with this software as well...) and three generations of Tablet PC's.

The Logitech Pen never really lived up to its fame. The Cross Pad wasn't toooo bad...

The key difference I place my faith in with the iLiad: Wacom.

I should put a caution on that, *if* irex has the pressure sensitivity hooked up. In my experience those lovely 256 levels of pressure sensitivity make a nice difference in hand writing recognition recognition rates. I also have my favorite Cross Executive Stylus (no cap) that I use on my Tablet's. A nice upgrade for recognition rates as well (helps keep the hand from getting sloppy from stress.)

Personally I'm sweating my battery working in my iLiad more than whether the hand writing recognition will rock (possibly eventually with iLiad software >2.X something).

As for pricing, the MyScript site was 60 euro, irex said 50 euro, I wound up paying $62.94 USD.

According to Google: 62.94 U.S. dollars = 49.1066552 Euro

I just checked the site now and it says 59.95 EUR, so maybe it pays to shop early.

Last edited by scotty1024; 08-07-2006 at 04:24 PM.
Old 08-07-2006, 07:02 PM   #14
Riocaz
Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty1024
So then its early and those that don't need/want it don't have to carry the cost in the base iLiad price tag.

Works for me.
Err the point I was making was that I remembered it (handwriting recognition) being listed as a feature. As in something that was part of the iLiad, not something which would need to be purchased seperatly. And thus, something I have already paid for!

Not to mention the fact that this is going to mean that whything I write will need to be downloaded from the iLiad to be processed via a seperate machine.

My Zaurus, which uses the same OS as the iLiad, can handle handwriting recognition, with far less cpu. So why such a <selfcensored> way of implementing it for the iLiad.

Interestingly, just went to check my memory at www.archive.org, and oddly none previous versions of the irextechnologies site, now exist there. Which is rather odd, as I have checked there before.

Last edited by Riocaz; 08-07-2006 at 07:16 PM.
Old 08-07-2006, 07:44 PM   #15
Riocaz

On the other-hand having re-read the posts from back then (particularly the mails CommanderROR passed on from iRex, it would appear that this was the software they were always intending to use.

I still think it's an utterly half-<selfcensored> way of doing it.