Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 05-27-2008, 02:30 AM   #1
golagha
Enthusiast
golagha began at the beginning.

Device: iRex iLiad Black
Is it possible to learn linux on iLiad (practically)?

Hi,
I am totally new to iLiad. Honestly I have no iLiad! but I want to buy one. I have two questions:

1. Assume that I want to learn linux. now I need the following:
. . . . a : a good and easy book on linux and with a good format which needs minimum zoom, pan, etc. operations on iLiad. I think that something in prc or pdb format is good. Am I right? where can I find a free ebook as mentioned above?

. . . . b : a simulator for linux operating system on iLiad. I read something about mxvrt (or something like that name! I dont remember) which is a linux shell. Is it enough for me to learn linux on iLiad?

2. Is there any compiler for gnu c++ on iLiad? so I can write simple programs for my immediate daily needs?

regards and thanks in advance.
golagha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 04:13 AM   #2
Martijn
Connoisseur
Martijn has learned how to read e-booksMartijn has learned how to read e-booksMartijn has learned how to read e-booksMartijn has learned how to read e-booksMartijn has learned how to read e-booksMartijn has learned how to read e-booksMartijn has learned how to read e-books

Device: iLiad
I don't know about 1a. There are plenty of resources on the web though (like http://linuxcommand.org/), so you could use plucker to create a pdb file.

There is no "simulator" for the linux OS on the iLiad, the iLiad runs linux natively
The program mxvrt indeed opens a shell so you can access the command line.
If all you want to do is to learn the command line, then I guess you could do it on the iLiad.
I wouldn't recommend it though.
Typing in a command by tapping on the on screen keyboard is possible, but cumbersome. Also, because of the slow screen updates it takes a while before your typing appears on screen.

You could also install an ssh daemon on your iLiad so that you can log in from your regular computer using an ssh client (like PuTTY). That way you have a regular computer and a regular screen, but every command you issue is executed by the linux OS on your iLiad.

Instead of doing that, however, your might as well run a Virtual Machine on your regular computer and install linux on the VM. It's cheaper than the iLiad, and if you somehow break the linux installation on your VM you simply reinstall it (as opposed to reflashing your iLiad).
Or get an old PC (any Pentium with 64 Mb of memory) and install linux on it.
Or get Knoppix, a bootable cd/dvd that allows you to run linux on your normal computer without installing it.

So, to answer the question in the subject of your post: It is possible to learn linux on the iLiad, but it is far from practical. There are many better alternatives to learn linux.

Oh, and concerning 2: I don't know about a port of gcc for the iLiad. I think most developers use cross-compiling. That is, they use a special version of the gcc compiler that runs on their regular computer, but which produces executables for the iLiad's processor (that's what I do anyway).
Martijn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2008, 05:05 AM   #3
golagha
Enthusiast

Thanks for your attention.
Regarding my question about linux learning, I whish I had a small machin (like iliad) that was portable (not a PC or laptop). any way, your guide was valuable.

Regarding gcc, again I wish I had a simple thing with myself to do C++ programming.

your answer took me to some new fields od practice. so thanks again
Old 05-27-2008, 05:24 AM   #4
Flow
Flow began at the beginning.

Device: iRex iLiad
n810 is a nice linux gadget.
Flow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 07:43 AM   #5
haridasi
Zealot
haridasi will become famous soon enoughharidasi will become famous soon enoughharidasi will become famous soon enoughharidasi will become famous soon enoughharidasi will become famous soon enoughharidasi will become famous soon enough

Device: irex iliad
Using the iliad to learn linux isn´t a good starting point. Linux is well hidden in it and you only access it through the terminal you mentioned. And the terminal is, well... unpractical.

If you want to learn linux there is some other options around. You can for example download ubuntu: http://www.kubuntu.org/download.php#latest
(The link is to ubuntu with the kde desktop) and burn it to a cd. If you restart your computer with the ubuntu cd inside, then linux (kubuntu) will start and you can use it to learn linux without installing anything to your computer. It has a help guide etc. If you want to install linux on your pc, then there´s an icon on the desktop that you can click.

That is the best starting point for learning linux.
haridasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2008, 08:34 AM   #6
axel77
Fanatic
axel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-books

Device: iliad
IMHO You learn linux by playing with linux, not by reading a book.

I'd advice against learning on the iLiad, its too dangerous to brick it if you don't know what you are doing.

If you don't have a dedicated computer I'd eigther go for a virtual machine like VMware or completly new is this cool thing:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/install.exe/

This will install a linux on your computer WITHOUT need to change your harddisk at all, the linux will reside on a single file within your windows harddisk..
axel77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 10:39 AM   #7
yokos
Pac-Man caught my iLiad.
yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Boox Max Lumi, iRex iLiad (RIP)
Learning Linux on iLiad?
iLiad doesn't look like a normal linux system on a desktop PC.
The well known Linux distributions like Ubuntu etc. use GNOME, KDE or other desktop environments. The iLiad uses a limited window manager matchbox w/o a desktop.

Last edited by yokos; 05-27-2008 at 10:47 AM.
yokos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 11:26 AM   #8
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The best way to learn Linux is to install it on a Desktop computer (here "Desktop" could be a standard laptop). Note that if you have a Windows Desktop it is easy to configure it to dual-boot into Linux. Or you can run Linux as a virtual machine (e.g. VMware) inside a single Windows window. Or you can run Linux completely from a USB stick, without touching your existing Desktop O/S at all.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 01:14 PM   #9
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
Quote:
Originally Posted by axel77 View Post
...or completly new is this cool thing:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/install.exe/

This will install a linux on your computer WITHOUT need to change your harddisk at all, the linux will reside on a single file within your windows harddisk..
+1

The WUBI installer is great for those used to the Windows world, and wanting to try out linux. It's faster than virtualization, easy to install/uninstall, and won't break any existing windows stuff.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 06:08 PM   #10
golagha
Enthusiast

got it! many thanks for your effort
Old 05-29-2008, 08:45 AM   #11
TurboProp
TurboProp began at the beginning.

Device: Rex iLiad, Blackberry Curve
My $0.02

A good and arguably the best way to learn linux is too install UnxUtils on your Windows PC. Allows to run most commonly used Unix utilities such as grep, tail, find, etc. in the command line mode, alongside Windows native commands. Cygwin works fine too, but has a bit too many (and in many cases unnecessary) things for beginners.

For GUI, you can install free VMWare player and use any of the Linux distributions available as VMWare images. The one we have in this forum, for example.
TurboProp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 09:46 AM   #12
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
golagha, i don't know where you're located, but we bought a cheap used pc to learn linux on - it was like $50 on craigslist. we got to play with several versions and ended up with a better computer with vector linux on it.
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 02:30 AM   #13
golagha
Enthusiast

Dear TurboProp
thanks for your help. I will check it out (UNXUTILS)

Regards
Old 05-31-2008, 08:22 PM   #14
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
I think you can´t 'learn' Linux perfectly ... there will be always something you don´t know .
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 02:21 AM   #15
golagha
Enthusiast

Dear joblack
Frankly your right. we have a short story in our culture mentioning that:
"Only All of man kind know all things and All man kind have not born yet!"

excuse for Off Topic!
Regards