Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-22-2013, 10:56 AM   #406
lioslaith
Zealot
lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505, Kindle, Kobo Vox/Glo, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella View Post
For those who have the Kindle Paperwhite, are you buying the Aura HD?

I've read that the built-in light can be turned off completely (unlike the Paperwhite), is this true?
Yes. Don't know what else to say so hope that's not too abrupt an answer.
lioslaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:02 AM   #407
BadBilly
Nodding at stupid things
BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, OnePlus 6, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, iPad Mini 2, PC
No page turn buttons and, from what I can figure out from the "reviews" and specs, questionable dictionaries. One reason I wanted my T1 over a T2 is that the North American version of the T2 has fewer dictionaries than the T1.
BadBilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2013, 11:06 AM   #408
Suzanna
Living in the past
Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Arc
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBilly View Post
I ride the subway to work. When I'm standing (as I almost always am), I hold on to a bar, in the interests of safety. I hold my Sony T1 in my left hand, thumb on the page turn button and do not have to move my hand from the bar to change pages.
For people who are wondering about situations like this ... you can change where on the Kobo screen you have to tap in order to page forward. If one likes to hold their ereader in their left hand, they can make the left side of the screen the page forward area and the right side the page backward area. Problem solved.
Suzanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:14 AM   #409
jswinden
Nameless Being

Seems very obvious from many of the last several posts that Kobos still render kePub differently from ePubs. That means different rendering engines and fewer formatting options on ePubs, and a HUGE FAIL IMO! Having to modify is stupid, especially if you already had to convert from another format. On the Kobo Touch they never got the rendering worth using on ePubs before my 30 days return policy ran out, so I returned the pitiful Touch. If you have to rely on the extremely lackluster Kobo bookstore to get readable books, then FAIL.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:15 AM   #410
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Stop pointing out features that the Paperwhite doesn't have....

It makes me feel greedy, even if I'd never use some of them

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
yes, and your point is...?

A woman who WANTS to spend money on gadgets! What's this world coming to?!

Will you marry me?

(Now what do I do if the answer is "yes"? Oh noes.... )

Last edited by Katsunami; 04-22-2013 at 11:18 AM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2013, 11:18 AM   #411
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post

Getting an Aura now would just be greedy and wanna-have-the-latest behavior.
It's not just a matter of wanting the latest. It's got a faster processor, more RAM, twice the storage, and a more even light. It's a better device. (I say so without having actually used an Aura, of course).
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:21 AM   #412
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I would love to have both. The Aura may be bigger and heavier than I would want to take out in my bag. I grab my paperwhite or my Sony T1, as both of them are smaller and lighter than my kindle touch in lighted case. So I would leave the Aura at home, also.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:22 AM   #413
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Seems very obvious from many of the last several posts that Kobos still render kePub differently from ePubs. That means different rendering engines and fewer formatting options on ePubs, and a HUGE FAIL IMO! Having to modify is stupid, especially if you already had to convert from another format. On the Kobo Touch they never got the rendering worth using on ePubs before my 30 days return policy ran out, so I returned the pitiful Touch. If you have to rely on the extremely lackluster Kobo bookstore to get readable books, then FAIL.
As I understand it, one can use calibre to get ones epubs into the kepub format, and then all of the on-device modifications will work. A+.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:29 AM   #414
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanna View Post
For people who are wondering about situations like this ... you can change where on the Kobo screen you have to tap in order to page forward. If one likes to hold their ereader in their left hand, they can make the left side of the screen the page forward area and the right side the page backward area. Problem solved.
This is exactly what I'm doing when I'm reading in a packed bus: holding the Kobo in my left hand and having the screen divided in 1/3 (going backward) and 2/3 (going forward). Works great!
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:33 AM   #415
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I'm not sure what you're saying here. There appears to me to be very little difference between how a particular non-Kobo epub looks on my Sony PRST1 and how it looks on the Kobo Glo. Admittedly Kobo has a mildly annoying quirk with very long paragraphs, but the ease of customising text display outweighs it (personal opinion only, of course).

Yes, kepubs display slightly differently because they support some epub3 features. Some will prefer the kepub-look to the standard-look and some vice versa. But as you can easily make your standard epubs use the kepub renderer if you want, no-one needs to be too disappointed.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:30 PM   #416
mr_nihilism
Always been the caretaker
mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
As I understand it, one can use calibre to get ones epubs into the kepub format, and then all of the on-device modifications will work. A+.
I so did not know that. How does one go about converting epub into kepub? It doesn't seem obvious because kepub is not one of the options in the output format selection.
mr_nihilism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:36 PM   #417
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_nihilism View Post
I so did not know that. How does one go about converting epub into kepub? It doesn't seem obvious because kepub is not one of the options in the output format selection.
You can read about it here.

I have not personally done it, as I don't have a Kobo (yet).
Old 04-22-2013, 01:22 PM   #418
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:

I've read that the built-in light can be turned off completely (unlike the Paperwhite), is this true?
1. Yes

2. Yes

...I'm one more female with a technology/gadget habit.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:40 PM   #419
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanna View Post
Can you swipe to change screens?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:44 PM   #420
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Can you swipe to change screens?
I can on the Mini.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote