Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 08-12-2012, 04:33 AM   #16
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
$0. I use an antenna and get free over the air TV. For what I watch, the 6 channels I get are enough - just watch some news and that's about it.
Same here. I just dropped cable recently because outside of the grandson, no one was watching it. Even my grandson was watching most of his shows on the Internet.

About the only things I watch currently on TV are the shows broadcast on the "Antenna TV" network after midnight: Alfred Hitchcock Presents, The Burns and Allen Show, and The Jack Benny Show. Guess I'm showing my age!

The money I save from no longer having a cable bill is being used to bring retirement closer.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 08:02 AM   #17
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Right now, yes. But there was a very real negative value before. Unscripted shows, or reality TV or whatever it is called today, you know Project Runway, Big Brother, Robinson (called Survivor in North America I believe), always left me with a sense that I had just wasted valuable time that could have been used more productively. I wasn't even entertained. These inane programs were prolific like rabbits in spring, so I just decided I could do without it.

I don't even have any idea what is happening at the Olympcis right now, and honestly, it doesn't bother me one bit.
You nailed it just right. Tv was made to exploit the masses, to give them the sense of morality that will keep them toiling the next day and to sell them what they don't want so the "machine" keeps on running.

Youg adults at the age of my kids over here do not listen to television. They're also very difficult to deal with since they escape programming. Good on them ,I say!
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2012, 08:30 AM   #18
daviddem
Connoisseur
daviddem doesn't litterdaviddem doesn't litterdaviddem doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-T1
I live in the Philippines now, and things here are a bit different... Two years ago, I paid a one time bribe of $20 to the cable man who came to disconnect the service of the previous tenant when I moved in, and now I have about 80 channels, including some sport, movies, documentaries and cartoons for the kids, plus local channels. It's analog though, so quality is not terrific but I guess I can't complain for less than $1 a month
daviddem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 08:57 AM   #19
cgk
Enthusiast
cgk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite Signature
Nothing, I don't own a TV.
cgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 04:37 PM   #20
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Not sure what I'm paying here, except that it's way too much. (It's all intertwined with Internet services, including a business class Internet connection.)

I do buy Netflix (online only), and that's the USA's Netflix. (HideMyAss.com is your friend.) I watch lots of stuff on broadcast/cable TV, all of it managed by and recorded on TiVo. And then I supplement that with Amazon and Netflix on the Multimedia PC to get HD of those things I care about. Also log on to BBC sources (again, HMA's VPN is my solution there.)
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2012, 08:53 PM   #21
RolandD
Fanatic
RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch is now my main eReader.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
Just the electricity to run the TV, etc. I have an antenna (and a signal amp), and mostly I just watch the news. I get the major networks (out of Philadelphia), three PBS stations, and some "bonus" digital channels that play "classic" reruns. We have Hulu and Netflix for delayed cable shows, nearly current movies, etc.
I've got nearly the same setup, except I need to get a signal amp so I can get the FOX affiliate. The three majors and three PBS stations are all I need with Netflix and the internet picking up the slack. (I haven't broken down and got Hulu, yet.) Here in the US, Satellite and Cable TV are ridiculously expensive and the majority of channels that you get are just crap.
RolandD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 02:41 AM   #22
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Cable offerings has always seemed kind of strange to me. It would be like saying; "Yes, you can get the Hartford Courant, but only if you also take the New York Times, The Washington Post, Boston Globe, Chicago Tribune, Readers Digest and Hustler".
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 03:45 AM   #23
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Here, in the Netherlands, you pay a fixed price (I think it's between €16 and €17 per month) to watch cable TV. This includes the three Dutch channels, the 2 Belgian ones, some German, French, BBC, and I believe at least Discovery Channel. (25 analog, 60 digital of which 14 are HD) We dropped the fees like the UK still has. So, if you don't have cable (but only that antenna), you won't pay a thing.

We have an extended package though, so we pay an extra €13 a month. This means we have the whole list, except those that must be paid for per month (such as HBO).

Quote:
Cable offerings has always seemed kind of strange to me. It would be like saying; "Yes, you can get the Hartford Courant, but only if you also take the New York Times, The Washington Post, Boston Globe, Chicago Tribune, Readers Digest and Hustler".

They tried to create custom packages here. Never was a success, so they returned to the three standard packages.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 05:20 AM   #24
RolandD
Fanatic
RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
They'd also make you take the National Enquirer, the Weekly World News, and some obscure magazine like Sheepherder's Quarterly.
Old 08-13-2012, 06:02 AM   #25
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
In Switzerland there are two related fees.

One is the fee everyone who has to pay who owns a device that could _potentially_ receive radio or TV broadcasts. It's paid to the Swiss Federal Communication Office (German: BAKOM; (BAKOM). So even if you don't want their programs or listen to their radio, if you own a TV, you will have to pay. And it isn't cheap. Radio is ~ 170 USD / yr and TV is ~ 300 USD / yr.

For cable services to receive private TV stations, I pay a relative modest ~ 10 USD / month.

Last edited by Alexander Turcic; 08-13-2012 at 06:18 AM.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 06:07 AM   #26
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolandD View Post
They'd also make you take the National Enquirer, the Weekly World News, and some obscure magazine like Sheepherder's Quarterly.
Sheepherder's quarterly? Where, where? I've been looking fer that one!!!

The reason I pay so much is for specialized channels. NatGeo, Discovery, Know, etc. in Québec the major players in television distribution assume that you will listen to tv in one language only. You pay for French and if you want some English channels you will pay for a special bilingual package. Screwing made easy, I say!

I could listen to some programmation over Internet but then I'd rapidly blow the limits covered by my contract and be stuck with surcharges.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 06:17 AM   #27
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolandD View Post
The only thing I'd be willing to pay for is the President's Daily Intelligence Briefing. That would be kind of interesting to read.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 03:31 PM   #28
RolandD
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post

One is the fee everyone who has to pay who owns a device that could _potentially_ receive radio or TV broadcasts. It's paid to the Swiss Federal Communication Office (German: BAKOM; (BAKOM). So even if you don't want their programs or listen to their radio, if you own a TV, you will have to pay. And it isn't cheap. Radio is ~ 170 USD / yr and TV is ~ 300 USD / yr.

For cable services to receive private TV stations, I pay a relative modest ~ 10 USD / month.
Wow! Is that per device or per household? If you have a computer with a TV tuner card, does that count?
Old 08-13-2012, 03:50 PM   #29
Angst
Cannon Fodder
Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite
I gave up tv years ago. I don't think I've even turned on my tv this year. The only show worth watching is "The Daily Show" with Jon Stewart on Comedy Central, and I'm to cheap to pay $50/month to watch 16 1/2 hour episodes of one show. Especially when it's available on the internet for free.
Angst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 04:07 PM   #30
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post

That sounds remarkably like the BBC licence fee, but a bit more expensive. We used to have a radio licence, but it was done away with a long time ago. We do still have the option of a Black & White TV licence, if your receiving equipment is only monochrome at around £45 ($70). But I have no idea how many households have that.

The BBC licence fee is indeed a per-household fee, not a per-person fee.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote