Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 12-21-2011, 01:41 PM   #1
jswinden
Nameless Being

Netflix app on my Fire doesn't sync video and audio well

Sadly, I have to say that Netflix was a total washout on the Fire and on my TV as well. On both I get VCR quality video that is choppy, freezes a lot, and the sound is out of sync with the pictures. It is rally gosh awful. I'm glad I got a free one month trial which I'm going to cancel.

Okay, just to make sure you understand that I've got good equipment and good internet speed, I'm including the specifics for my systems:
  • Internet is high speed 20 MBips (wired to Blu-ray player, wireless to Fire)
  • Blu-Ray player is brand new Panasonic DMP-BDT210 connected with ethernet cable (wired)
  • TV is Sony Bravia 40" HDTV 1080p capable

As a comparison, I've also got Amazon Prime Instant Video on my Blu-Ray player/TV and on my Fire and on my PC. Amazon Instant Videos look excellent and play wonderfully on all my equipment. Netflix is horrible on all my equipment. Supposedly Netflix provides 720p, but it looks like a 480i broadcast channel on an HDTV--looks like pooh in other words. And it sounds terrible as the audio is so out of sync.

I guess you get what you pay for. Netflix is unlimited at $7.99/month whereas with Amazon you pay a significant amount for each video. Bottomline is Amazon is very watchable and pleasant but Netflix is unwatchable.

Last edited by jswinden; 12-25-2011 at 02:18 PM.
Old 12-21-2011, 01:49 PM   #2
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
I had the same quality issues on my Fire with the Netflix app in the Amazon store. I took the app off of my Sony Tablet (which plays superbly). The difference is night and day.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2011, 02:03 PM   #3
ssahnan
Enthusiast
ssahnan is on a distinguished road

Device: kindle3g, kindle touch, kindle fire, kindle ipad 1 and 2, kindle iphon
curious, are there different netflix apps out there then? the fire version says 1.6, android marketplace says 1.6 as well, not the same app?
ssahnan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 02:04 PM   #4
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssahnan View Post
curious, are there different netflix apps out there then? the fire version says 1.6, android marketplace says 1.6 as well, not the same app?
I don't know if they did tweaking for the Fire with the app available via Amazon.

I'm running version 1.5.2 build 389 (Android Market). I don't bother to update sideloaded apps on the Fire unless it's a must have.

Last edited by SCION; 12-21-2011 at 02:10 PM.
Old 12-21-2011, 02:10 PM   #5
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Can't say I agree. Netflix streaming works perfectly on my TV and Fire. I have the same exact equipment for the TV as the OP except my TV size is 32".

I have found a lot of streaming interference during prime time. However, I watch the streaming during non-prime time without any problems at all. I use Netflix CD's during Prime Time.

Netflix has a huge advantage over Amazon in the number of offerings it carries.

You can watch Amazon Prime Videos free if you have that service. I do but found the Netflix star matching to my tastes way over manual searching for what I like on Amazon.

Last edited by sirmaru; 12-21-2011 at 02:13 PM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2011, 02:12 PM   #6
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
Can't say I agree. Netflix streaming works perfectly on my TV and Fire. I have the same exact equipment for the TV except my TV size is 32".

I have found a lot of streaming interference during prime time. However, I watch the streaming during non-prime time without any problems at all. I use Netflix CD's during Prime Time.
I'm able to watch any time without quality issues. I haven't encountered that.
Old 12-21-2011, 02:13 PM   #7
ssahnan
Enthusiast

wow, hmm, i am going to try that. but in general, this one app from android marketplace is then universally compatible with all the devices it's intended for, i.e., tablet, phone?
Old 12-21-2011, 02:17 PM   #8
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssahnan View Post
wow, hmm, i am going to try that. but in general, this one app from android marketplace is then universally compatible with all the devices it's intended for, i.e., tablet, phone?
Yes, it is.
Old 12-21-2011, 02:19 PM   #9
Belle2Be
Peace, Love, and Books
Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3(3g), NookColor
Wow I love netflix. I haven't had any of the issues you're stating. Maybe you ought to contact them and and do some troubleshooting?
Belle2Be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 02:24 PM   #10
ssahnan
Enthusiast

i just tried both routes with version 1.6, same performance on both which for me, is also crappy performance. the video is not very good especially compared to other tablets like ipad but more then that, I get really bad audio syncing issues. Its off by quite alot.

no issues with netflix on the tv though
Old 12-21-2011, 02:29 PM   #11
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
When I first tried netflix on the KF (within minutes of taking it out of the box), I found it nearly unusable... poor video quality, stuttering, etc. But with 6.2 and on, netflix plays as smoothly and as high quality on the KF as it does on my iPad2, ATV2, XBox360, etc.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 02:38 PM   #12
ssahnan
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post
When I first tried netflix on the KF (within minutes of taking it out of the box), I found it nearly unusable... poor video quality, stuttering, etc. But with 6.2 and on, netflix plays as smoothly and as high quality on the KF as it does on my iPad2, ATV2, XBox360, etc.
with no audio syncing issues? I have got a cracking internet connection, plus prime plays flawlessly, but wow is the syncing super bad on netflix. Video wise, it's about what i'd expect, not as good tv or ipads but not as bad as it was at launch. Sure takes a while(10-20 seconds) to settle in on a resolution at launch. Concerns me that others have no syncing issues
Old 12-21-2011, 02:58 PM   #13
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
NF pq on the Fire seems pretty darn good to me. Isn't it dependent on the quality of the origin's master to begin with?

I must admit though on my HDTV that streaming from Amazon is better.
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 03:39 PM   #14
krm0789
Enthusiast
krm0789 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krm0789 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krm0789 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krm0789 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krm0789 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krm0789 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krm0789 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krm0789 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krm0789 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krm0789 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krm0789 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
The first day I got the Fire I had issues with Netflix stuttering (just on the app, worked fine on the Wii & Playstation) which concerned me b/c I'm a Prime guest & don't have/want Prime videos. But I haven't had issues since, & I use it all the time...
krm0789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 04:37 PM   #15
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc88 View Post
NF pq on the Fire seems pretty darn good to me. Isn't it dependent on the quality of the origin's master to begin with?
There is more than that. Netflix HD has hardware requirements, that's why it's available on the Nook Tablet and not on the Nook Color, Fire and most Android phones. If the device doesn't meet the requirements, the stream is SD, not HD.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote