Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

View Poll Results: Will the new Kindle(s) touch change your mind about getting a Nook Touch?
Yes 27 24.32%
No 73 65.77%
I don't know yet 11 9.91%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-03-2011, 10:01 AM   #61
Ron.
Evangelist
Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, LookBook, Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyK View Post
Most mp3 players are meant to charge from a computer, but larger devices such as an ereader or any other larger devcie, charging from a computer can be painfully slow and some won't charge if the computer falls into sleep which then makes it a rather inconvienant way to charge your device.

my point is is an SOP to have a wall charger included and not to be left on your own accord to supply something so basic. But it amazes me how people will defend Amazon no matter what. It's just odd .

I don't think it has anything to do with "defending amazon" did my nook come with a wall charger ? if it did it's still in the box because I never use them. I charge it from the PC so I could care less if a charger is included or not..
Ron. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 10:02 AM   #62
johnnyK
Banned
johnnyK began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Indeed. My Sony tablet didn't even come with a USB cable to transfer files. Very cheesy. Outright cheap.
Now that is really cheap, especially from someone like Sony. Talk about trying to save a buck.

It's a good looking tablet though that is for sure.
johnnyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2011, 10:04 AM   #63
johnnyK
Banned
johnnyK began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
I don't think it has anything to do with "defending amazon" did my nook come with a wall charger ? if it did it's still in the box because I never use them. I charge it from the PC so I could care less if a charger is included or not..
You do realize you aren't everyone. I can't imagine charging my nook from a computer and add that many extra hours to charge.

Wall charging your nook will charge it 3x faster if not more. It's a trickle charge from a PC
johnnyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 10:11 AM   #64
Ron.
Evangelist
Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
You do realize you aren't everyone. I can't imagine charging my nook from a computer and add that many extra hours to charge.

Wall charging your nook will charge it 3x faster if not more. It's a trickle charge from a PC
No I had no idea I wasn't everyone or that everyone did not share my views. My point was that not caring about a wall charger does not equal "amazon defender" If you charge you device with the wall charger then obviously its important to you, someone who does not charge that way could care less, that does not make them a defender of amazon.
Old 10-03-2011, 10:19 AM   #65
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Most mp3 players are meant to charge from a computer, but larger devices such as an ereader or any other larger devcie, charging from a computer can be painfully slow and some won't charge if the computer falls into sleep which then makes it a rather inconvienant way to charge your device.

my point is it'sSOP to have a wall charger included and not to be left on your own accord to supply something so basic. But it amazes me how people will defend Amazon no matter what. It's just odd .
a) The Sony PRS-505 is an eReader that I think predates the Kindle, and did not come with a charger.
b) You seem rather paranoid. I'm not defending Amazon, just pointing out that what they are doing is hardly unique. They are looking for ways to shave a few dollars off the cost here and there. In the same way that things used to come with actual manuals, and iPods used to come with an iTunes CD. Now you are just sent to download things instead, because that saves money.

It is a wonderful, marvelous thing that devices don't come with chargers? No.
Is it the end of the world, or unique to Amazon? No.
How does that equate to defending Amazon?
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2011, 10:58 AM   #66
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
but that's not the point, a charger should be included, you should be left to your own devices to charge your device. I don't think I ever bought a device that did not include a charger.

That would be like getting a new blu ray pplayer but no ac cable to plug it in. Sure you can run out to Radio Shack or Best buy and buy a standard ac cord but shouldn't have to. Now what if you bought one for an elder member of your family, so they have to run out spend more money on something that should have been included. Make no sense that people are cheering on this decision.
The Samsung Window Air Conditioner I bought last year didn't come with a plug. There was just a wire from the unit that ended in an open bunch of fibre. That really pissed me off.

I agree, any portable electronic device that needs charging should come with a wall charger included. It is dis-ingenious of Amazon to make the claim that no computer is required. I am aware that they're implying that no computer is required for the book purchasing process, but it isn't a clear implication at all, and fresh adopters would be justified at feeling miffed when they find out that they would require a computer to charge it.
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 11:00 AM   #67
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
be interesting to see the reaction if Barnes and noble didn't include a charger. How the kindle community would just roast them, but when the kindle doesn't it's a feature. go figure
I certainly wouldn't "roast" anyone for making such a statement, for exactly the reasons I stated: USB chargers are ubiquitous; if you have half a dozen of them already, why pay $5 for yet another one? I have many devices which are charged via USB, but which didn't come with a charger.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 11:02 AM   #68
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
but that's not the point, a charger should be included, you should be left to your own devices to charge your device. I don't think I ever bought a device that did not include a charger.
I have: my iPhone, for example. If you want a wall charger, you have to buy one separately.
Old 10-03-2011, 04:54 PM   #69
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by howyoudoin View Post
I agree, any portable electronic device that needs charging should come with a wall charger included. It is dis-ingenious of Amazon to make the claim that no computer is required. I am aware that they're implying that no computer is required for the book purchasing process, but it isn't a clear implication at all, and fresh adopters would be justified at feeling miffed when they find out that they would require a computer to charge it.
I think they made the right choice. Instead of charging everyone $10 more for a Kindle charger they let the customers decide how they want to spend the money. A powered USB hub will charge USB devices faster than the port on a PC, there are automobile chargers for about the same $10 or things like the Belkin BZ103050-TVL surge protectors for about the same price that have USB charging ports along with regular electrical outlets. For me, the charger from my Kindle 3 will work fine.

Of course a customer could buy the $10 charger they offer. Personally, I appreciate that they are saving me money by giving me a choice.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 07:00 PM   #70
Ron.
Evangelist

Amazon probably pays about 75 cents per charger, I dont think they are paying 10 dollars for them.
Old 10-03-2011, 07:25 PM   #71
Ubermensch
Connoisseur
Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
  • page turn buttons
The new Kindle has some too, they're just really small.
Ubermensch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 07:25 PM   #72
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Quote:
...I'm pretty sure the majority of what you've said is false. E-ink devices typically have the same-sized batteries as a MP3 player or phone and charge at more or less the same rate from a PC or wall-wart, perhaps dependent on the PC's power supply. They continue to do so regardless of sleep state, as evidenced by the fully charged NC, with much higher power requirements than a Kindle, awaiting me when I woke up this morning.

Quote:
my point is it's SOP to have a wall charger included and not to be left on your own accord to supply something so basic. But it amazes me how people will defend Amazon no matter what. It's just odd .
It's already been demonstrated that it's far from unprecedented. Like others, however, I consider it a smart move. Even many power strips now have USB slots on them, and some people never plug their devices into a wall at all, relying on PCs or car chargers, or even solar docks. It may have been a fair assumption ten years ago that consumers would charge a device by means of an AC wall adapter, but it's increasingly ceasing to be the case.

SOP changes.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 07:26 PM   #73
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by taosaur View Post
... Even many power strips now have USB slots on them...
Wasn't aware of this! My strips are at least 7 years old.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 09:30 PM   #74
log
log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubermensch View Post
Not the Kindle Touch though.
log is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 03:35 AM   #75
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubermensch View Post
Although the non-touch Kindle (obviously) has page turn buttons, we were discussing the touch models, which don't. Personally, I think that's a mistake.