Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 10-12-2009, 06:29 PM   #1
cyberbaffled
Author&Publisher
cyberbaffled began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
sigil doesn't open epub file

Sigil won't open an epub file generated by InDesign CS4; which should be the authorative epub code generator. Now what?
cyberbaffled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 06:52 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
CS4 actually does a poor job of making ePub's from what I've read and found myself.

What are you wanting to do? You can change the .epub extension to .zip, unzip and edit the files you want and then copy the edited files back into the zip and re-change the extension to .epub
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 06:54 PM   #3
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbaffled View Post
Sigil won't open an epub file generated by InDesign CS4; which should be the authorative epub code generator.
That's the most hilarious thing I heard all week.

Quote:
Now what?
Well create a new issue on the tracker and attach the epub file. There's not much I can do with "it won't open".
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 12:29 PM   #4
cyberbaffled
Author&Publisher
cyberbaffled began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Valloric,

I was working under the misconception that Adobe invented epub. "Brian" straightened me out on that. The particular epub file that won't open is corporate-proprietary and very sensitive. Perhaps I can create an "insensitive" analog of the file that then won't open. That would take some time though. I'll see.

Thanks.

Richard
cyberbaffled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 03:37 PM   #5
Valloric
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The particular epub file that won't open is corporate-proprietary and very sensitive. Perhaps I can create an "insensitive" analog of the file that then won't open.
Please do. I've also recently fixed an issue with loading InDesign CS4 epub files, so your problem may already be resolved. Just in case, create an analog file and attach it to a new issue, and if it works with the trunk version of Sigil, I'll tell you and then that's that.
Old 11-09-2009, 07:41 PM   #6
sjkramer
Connoisseur
sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone
I've just downloaded and installed Sigil (I am running Mac OSX 10.5.08 and CS4) and have the same problem as the person in the initial post. I followed your link to the fixed issue having to do with the empty date tag and removing the tag did allow my file to open. However, it seems that the problem might not be entirely fixed. Just wanted to let you know.

Last edited by sjkramer; 11-09-2009 at 07:42 PM. Reason: forgot to mention version of CS.
sjkramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 08:04 AM   #7
Valloric

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjkramer View Post
However, it seems that the problem might not be entirely fixed. Just wanted to let you know.
The problem is fixed, it's just that the fix hasn't been released yet. It will be in 0.1.5.
Old 11-10-2009, 03:17 PM   #8
sjkramer
Connoisseur
sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
The problem is fixed, it's just that the fix hasn't been released yet. It will be in 0.1.5.
oh! I guess I have to get used to tech-speak! Guess I jumped the gun. But I should say how pleased I am with Sigil otherwise so far. It's exactly what I've been looking for. Thanks.
sjkramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 03:28 PM   #9
Valloric

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjkramer View Post
oh! I guess I have to get used to tech-speak! Guess I jumped the gun.
Not a problem. I do appreciate the intent.