Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 05-19-2010, 05:38 AM   #1
LazyScot
DSil
LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Cybook
Countdown!

Seems an age since we had a countdown. Okay, so I've not been around much so there have doubtless been plenty, but I refuse to let facts stand in the way of anything, least of all silliness. In fact, I say "pfft" to facts on a regular basis (perhaps that explains the number of unread books/ebooks I have and why I keep thinking it won't take long to drive up the M3). So I think we need an erratic, doubtlessly intermittent roughly daily countdown.

33!
LazyScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 07:50 AM   #2
jinlo
aka coco jinlo
jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just purchased Sony 505, but alas, it is for the wife
May I ask why you chose to start at 33?

I mean, it's a nice enough number, a bit redundant but some people like repetition. I must admit it has good shape, easy on the eyes, but it’s also an odd number. Actually, if you look at it long enough, it starts to take on a life all its own.

On a scale of 1 to 10, I give it a 9.

(By the way, the 9 is not part of the countdown, or it can be if you like.)
jinlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2010, 08:16 AM   #3
beachwanderer
-
beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Some
Help me out here, I'm a bit confused over this (may be it's the delicious asparagus I just had for lunch which is draining the blood away from behind my eyes to lower regions now):

Firstly I'm a little frightened because I don't really know what is going to happen at the end of the countdown. I would not really like being held responsible for major explosions, hurting people etc etc..
Sigh. I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

Secondly I'm unsure what to say now. You see: Jinlo didn't say "32", he just asked a question. He probably didn't want to say "32".
But he was here before me which gives me no right to say "32" myself. And "8" also seems rather inappropriate here.

Well, I could say "31,5". But I'll do that tomorrow. That Ok?

Last edited by beachwanderer; 05-19-2010 at 08:41 AM.
beachwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 08:18 AM   #4
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinlo View Post
If 9 is not part of the countdown then what is? You mentioned 5 numbers, or I guess it could be 4 if you don't count the 9 twice. On the other hand, if you break them into their constituent digits then you mentioned 7 numbers, or 4 if we remove the duplicates.

Then again we could always add them all up and get 62 which seems to be more of a count up instead of a count down so we should probably not count that count.
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 08:19 AM   #5
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
eleventy !!!

no wait ! FORTY-TWO !! no, eleventy.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2010, 08:22 AM   #6
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Eleventy-bunyip!

("...and if one them bottles should happen to fall...")
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 08:25 AM   #7
jinlo
aka coco jinlo
jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just purchased Sony 505, but alas, it is for the wife
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachwanderer View Post
Well, I could say "31,5". But I'll do that tomorrow. That Ok?
Works for me, but heck, I don't know what's going on here, either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsvick View Post
If 9 is not part of the countdown then what is? You mentioned 5 numbers, or I guess it could be 4 if you don't count the 9 twice. On the other hand, if you break them into their constituent digits then you mentioned 7 numbers, or 4 if we remove the duplicates.

Then again we could always add them all up and get 62 which seems to be more of a count up instead of a count down so we should probably not count that count.
You just hurt my brain. And no, a bandage won't help, thank you.
jinlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 08:51 AM   #8
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyScot View Post
Seems an age since we had a countdown. Okay, so I've not been around much so there have doubtless been plenty, but I refuse to let facts stand in the way of anything, least of all silliness. In fact, I say "pfft" to facts on a regular basis (perhaps that explains the number of unread books/ebooks I have and why I keep thinking it won't take long to drive up the M3). So I think we need an erratic, doubtlessly intermittent roughly daily countdown.

33!
Quote:

I mean, it's a nice enough number, a bit redundant but some people like repetition. I must admit it has good shape, easy on the eyes, but it’s also an odd number. Actually, if you look at it long enough, it starts to take on a life all its own.

On a scale of 1 to 10, I give it a 9.

See, together you know the answer to the life, the universe and everything...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 09:13 AM   #9
LazyScot
DSil
LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Cybook
Quote:
Because I'm told starting with an answer is a bad way to go about things. You tend to end up with a nasty question. That and it gets tricky to count down from things like pi....

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachwanderer View Post
Firstly I'm a little frightened because I don't really know what is going to happen at the end of the countdown. I would not really like being held responsible for major explosions, hurting people etc etc..
Sigh. I guess I'll just have to wait and see.
Well, at the end the countdown will reach 0. That's it. Whether or not this is temporally coincedental with anything else is simply a mixture of the universe's natural serendipity and parallelism (that, and a lack of sufficient time quanta to provide for non-coincidental events as most have been used up separating Zelda's posts).

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
eleventy !!!

no wait ! FORTY-TWO !! no, eleventy.
Oiy! I said not to start with answers.

Quote:
You just hurt my brain. And no, a bandage won't help, thank you.
Nope. Brain hurt is a natural state around here. Just see either Marc for a ZCD or Pshrynk for a bill to take your mind of the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I do not do deep thought. However, I do like fish....
LazyScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 09:15 AM   #10
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post

That's it !

Countdown now suspended ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 09:41 AM   #11
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
No...No... I'm restarting the countdown! Why? Because! There!

So .... 30.5!

And the next person that tries to stop the countdown early will be the sacrificial victim when it reaches zero!
The chicken has spoken!
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 09:50 AM   #12
GeoffC
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

:eeks:

I demand a re-count ....
Old 05-19-2010, 09:52 AM   #13
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
I just subtract the last number from itself, then add 1973.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 09:53 AM   #14
GeoffC

we certainly didn't have this much trouble with the last countdown ...
Old 05-19-2010, 09:54 AM   #15
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdogeared View Post
I just subtract the last number from itself, then add 1973.
seems like a good method to me.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote