Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 08-24-2006, 09:47 AM   #1
THJahar
Zealot
THJahar is on a distinguished road

Device: Jinke V2 Prototype
When can we expect a price drop?

The only thing preventing me from purchasing an iliad is that I believe the price point to be too high.
£440 GBR seems way too much to me I expected the pricepoint to be nearer £350 GBR.
Do you believe the pricepoint to be too high?
How would you early adopters respond to say a 15-20% price drop, (if that is even possible) and within what time frame (is now too soon, would it have to be 3-6 months or even more?)
Answers below :-)
THJahar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 09:53 AM   #2
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Same for me.
That and beta problems.
Sony always gets out secure OS (that could be debatable in this case)
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2006, 10:28 AM   #3
verbosus
Unicoder
verbosus began at the beginning.

Device: iRex iLiad
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible
Sony always gets out secure OS (that could be debatable in this case)
That prompted me to do some research on the recent (well, last year’s actually) “Sony Rootkit” fiasco. I recommend everyone to check out this article and further comments in this other one over at Wired, it’s quite scary to think that I might have the same stuff done to my computer by buying Sony ebooks (and devices, possibly).

But then again, maybe they won’t ever do something like this again, now that they have been caught red-handed. Go figure.

Last edited by verbosus; 08-24-2006 at 10:32 AM.
verbosus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 10:29 AM   #4
rmeister0
Addict
rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

"Sony always gets out secure OS (that could be debatable in this case)"

Yea, I'd debate that. But their hardware is usually solid.
rmeister0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 11:26 AM   #5
THJahar
Zealot
THJahar is on a distinguished road

Device: Jinke V2 Prototype
I've ruled out entirely sony's reader (purely on the basis of their root kit/drm shenaningans). I've already got the Hanlin V2 sample which once stable will do me as a basic reader.
The Iliad I want to mainly use at work as a technical document store and note taker.
unfortunately I have been unable to persuade work to buy one as a trial.
And as I view the current pricepoint as a corporate/early adopter level i'm not going to buy at that price.
My reasoning is that on not a quite 'like for like' comparison i.e. the techincal specs of the iliad versus the same specced PDA you can see how expensive the iliad is that cannot be justified by purely economics of scale in the manufacturing process.
I'm just hoping that the price will come down in the next 6 months.
THJahar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2006, 11:36 AM   #6
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I believe iRex will be able to reduce the price once their B2B business kicks in. $450-550 sounds more reasonable to me.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 11:45 AM   #7
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
The Sony Reader is using a Linux OS, probably pretty similar to iLiad's, at a guess. (shrug) Not sure what that means for OS security. But the OS should be solid and reliable, since they've been around long enough to know how to work the kinks out of a new product.

As for their hardware, I've always been impressed with them on that front, even when I didn't agree with some of the decisions. Nobody uses cassette tapes all that much anymore, but everybody still knows what a Walkman is.

If you're worried that they haven't learned anything from the root-kit debacle (understandable, that was pretty heinous), you could just not use the Connect software -- you don't need the software to load files on the Sony Reader via memory card or USB, only to buy books from Sony's store. (shrug) General consensus around here seems to be that most folks don't plan to do that regardless. Surely not even Sony can root-kit you with software that never leaves the box.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 11:57 AM   #8
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Since the Sony Reader is using Linux, shouldn't we expect a somewhat more open approach by Sony, especially since they must comply to GPL?
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 12:03 PM   #9
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW
Since the Sony Reader is using Linux, shouldn't we expect a somewhat more open approach by Sony, especially since they must comply to GPL?
That seems to be a reasonable expectation. I think they've said they'll release an SDK at some near-future point, and they were pretty laid back about the Librie' hacking (unlike the PSP), so I think we can expect a bit of a softer approach in this area, at least.
Old 08-24-2006, 12:11 PM   #10
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmeister0
Yea, I'd debate that. But their hardware is usually solid.
The Librie wasn't. They used a pearly looking plastic that chips into tiny pieces with very little effort on your part. After 15 months no amount of duct tape would keep the corner of the battery compartment working and my Librie became a non-functional member of my IT museum.

So of course I get an iLiad and it promptly demonstrates the dead battery issue.

Having seen the photos of the inside of the iLiad... I don't expect much help on the price point until they can build their second generation unit. You can't build inexpensive consumer devices with so many circuit boards, in which count I also count the 3rd party modules literally, in one case, glued into it.

And you certainly can't make it very inexpensive with not one but two secondary batteries, and separate battery board and big ol' metal strap to secure same into the unit.

The current iLiad is a Rolls of ebook readers, not a Ford commuter vehicle.

And as with a Rolls, missing certain high end features: bluetooth.
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 12:18 PM   #11
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty1024
The current iLiad is a Rolls of ebook readers, not a Ford commuter vehicle.

And as with a Rolls, missing certain high end features: bluetooth.
But the RR you could at least equip with a Nokia CK-7W Advanced Car Kit ;-)
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 01:00 PM   #12
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Sadly the only thing open about Sony is their cash registry.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 01:04 PM   #13
verbosus
Unicoder
verbosus began at the beginning.

Device: iRex iLiad
Quote:
I believe iRex will be able to reduce the price once their B2B business kicks in. $450-550 sounds more reasonable to me.
Yeah, that seems to be their current strategy for now. Have us “early adopters” pay the premium price to do the beta testing and start hacking with the free SDK (once it becomes available), then lower the price point when the device is supposed to be ready for prime time.
verbosus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 02:11 PM   #14
NatCh
Gizmologist

In their defense, they did suggest waiting....
Old 08-24-2006, 04:32 PM   #15
drogo
Connoisseur
drogo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.drogo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.drogo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.drogo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-500
About the "openess" thing.

Remember, the only thing that the GPL forces you to open up are derivative works. The software that runs on Linux doesn't necessarily have to be open if it was created completely in-house at Sony (or iRex).

So while the reader devices may run Linux, that doesn't mean we'll absolutely see the source code for the reader software.

Of course, I'm hoping they both "see the light" and take advantage of all the benefits that come with going with a more open platform.

Still, the devil is in the details.
drogo is offline   Reply With Quote