Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-24-2010, 03:40 PM   #1
Kosst Amojan
Addict
Kosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to behold

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Marvell unveils 1 GHz chips that consume just 1 watt of power

Chipmaker Marvell today debuted a new processor in its Armada family, designed for plug computing, for home, small business and industrial automation, and applications demanding ultra low power consumption.

The Armada 310 system-on-a-chip is built with an ARMv5 processor between 500 MHz and 1 GHz that consumes less than 1 watt of power. Fixed on a 15 x 15mm FCBGA (Flip Chip Ball Grid Array), the Armada 310 offers tons of I/O options, such as two Gigabit Ethernet MACs, two SATA 2.0 ports, two PCIe ports, USB 2.0, and DDR2/3.

continue

So this my be the processor that goes with their $99 Moby Tablet?
Kosst Amojan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 04:16 PM   #2
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Doubt it. This chip is better suited for router/NAS/headless PC roles (see Ethernet, SATA, DDR2 and PCIe). Reader devices don't need any of that, they need minimal power consumption and preferably built-in EPD controller.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2010, 06:10 PM   #3
HorridRedDog
Addict
HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: PRS-600 EB-1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
Doubt it. This chip is better suited for router/NAS/headless PC roles (see Ethernet, SATA, DDR2 and PCIe). Reader devices don't need any of that, they need minimal power consumption and preferably built-in EPD controller.
"Marvell has announced that they are in the works of developing a tablet computer named Moby...."

" Marvell also promises a long battery life, which would be essential if needed throughout an entire school day,..."

Ereaders may not need much power but a tablet computer would.
HorridRedDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 08:17 PM   #4
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by HorridRedDog View Post
"Marvell has announced that they are in the works of developing a tablet computer named Moby...."
I've heard about that. But I don't think they'll use this specific chip (Armada 310) in the tablet. It's more likely they'll go with an ARMv7 core, such as Armada 500 or 600, which have, for example, floating-point support and hi-res LCD controller.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 09:42 PM   #5
HorridRedDog
Addict
HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: PRS-600 EB-1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
I've heard about that. But I don't think they'll use this specific chip (Armada 310) in the tablet. It's more likely they'll go with an ARMv7 core, such as Armada 500 or 600, which have, for example, floating-point support and hi-res LCD controller.
It sounds like your following tablet info better the I am. Are you thinking of getting one?

I've got a Toshiba laptop/tablet but it weighs 2.5 pounds. I need something MUCH lighter with 3 to 4 hours of real use time with a possible need to replace the battery in the field on rare occasions. I figure there will be a better & cheaper selection by Christmas.

Any thing look good now?
HorridRedDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
marvell, slate, tablet