Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 01-17-2009, 01:11 AM   #1
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab Plus, Droid phone, Nook HD+
Carver ebooks -- upload to library?

I'd like to add the free books I'm offering on my website (Neptune Crossing, Strange Attractors, and The Infinite Sea) to the library here. I can obviously upload them myself. But if I do that, the folks who did conversions and enhancements for me won't get the credit. For that reason, I'm wondering if Jon, Robo, and others who worked on those files would like to upload them to the library under their names.

I'll go ahead and upload them myself in a week or so if others don't do it first.

Thanks.

Oh--not Sunborn, please, because that should be along soon as a Tor ebook.
starrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 03:07 AM   #2
Seabound
Steerage Class
Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Won't fit here anymore, see sig for a list of liseuses.
I think uploading your books here is a really great idea, regardless of who does the uploading. I saw your books at Feedbooks and wondered why they weren't posted here. Thank you for making your ebooks available.
Seabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2009, 07:33 AM   #3
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt
Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Pixel 6, Moto G9 Power (both with Fbreader) & Kindle PW2
Jeffrey, you could upload them yourself and give credit to your helpers in the book description area.
Moe The Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 07:51 AM   #4
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Here's how you do it:

If it's a Sony lrf file, go to this thread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=126

That thread is the upload section for the Sony books - the lrf format.

Find the phrase, "NEW THREAD" - unfortunately, that phrase is very small, but it's right above the larger phrase, "Threads in Forum."

Click on "NEW THREAD," and you'll be presented with a small window area to put in some introductory words - you know, words to the effect that you are the author, any copyright information (for clarification), etc., etc.

Here's an example of a book I assembled and uploaded, in order to give you an idea of how it should look look:

Dunsany, Lord: The King Of Elfland's Daughter. v1. 16 Jan 09

Then, to the right of that, find your genre.

Remember, this is for the LRF book. In order to do the mobi/prc, you unfortunately have to repeat the same process.

If you have any problems or questions, you can post to this thread or pm me.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 04:39 PM   #5
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for explaining the process. I have uploaded the first three Chaos books in LRF and and PRC format, will have the PDB and EPUB up shortly. I've credited those who helped me in the thread entries.
Advert
Old 01-18-2009, 04:48 PM   #6
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrigger View Post
Thanks for explaining the process. I have uploaded the first three Chaos books in LRF and and PRC format, will have the PDB and EPUB up shortly. I've credited those who helped me in the thread entries.

I'm on these like butter on bread. Thanks for uploading your work!
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 06:00 PM   #7
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver

Okay, I've now got them up in mobi, lrf, lit, pdb, and epub. Laborious process <gasp!>. No need for the conversion crew to jump in.

I'll note that my article entitled "Psst! Wanna Buy a Free Ebook?" about converting one's novels to ebooks for free giveaway just appeared in the SFWA Bulletin (print journal of the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America). In due course, I imagine it will appear online. In it, I pointed authors to this forum and promised that there'd be lots of supporters appearing out of the woodwork to help authors trying to convert their work. That's what happened to me here, so I know it was a good promise.
Old 01-18-2009, 06:12 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Well done!
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 06:27 AM   #9
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Jon:

Thank you for your work on converting these. They look great!

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 07:51 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Jon:

Thank you for your work on converting these. They look great!

Don
Happy to help. I'm still in the middle of book one and I like it. I'll be getting back to finishing it later in the week.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 05:38 PM   #11
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
I'm on these like butter on bread. Thanks for uploading your work!
You should be! I just finished the first book and I'm having to hold myself back to keep from racing through the next two.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 06:13 PM   #12
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver

Not related to the library uploads, but...

Prompted by a suggestion from a reader, I gathered together all the info about my ebooks, both free and commercial, onto one page--with links to the major vendors where appropriate. I also noted books that are forthcoming, and a few that are in my long-range plans.

That's on my new guide to ebooks page.

I hope this is helpful. Let me know if you see any mistakes, or have suggestions! Thanks.
Old 01-20-2009, 08:18 PM   #13
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrigger View Post
Not related to the library uploads, but...

Prompted by a suggestion from a reader, I gathered together all the info about my ebooks, both free and commercial, onto one page--with links to the major vendors where appropriate. I also noted books that are forthcoming, and a few that are in my long-range plans.

That's on my new guide to ebooks page.

I hope this is helpful. Let me know if you see any mistakes, or have suggestions! Thanks.
I updated your entry in the wiki on the e-Book stores page.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 09:02 PM   #14
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
I updated your entry in the wiki on the e-Book stores page.

Dale
Er, thanks. I didn't know I had an entry in the wiki.
Old 01-28-2009, 07:48 PM   #15
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver

Promise of an ebook to come: I've just finished proofreading and making minor edits to my novel The Infinity Link, which will be forthcoming from E-reads and therefore Fictionwise and others. This was my first really big (long) book, and I hadn't read it in about 20 years. I'm happy to say I enjoyed going through it again, and I look forward to its becoming an ebook.

Artist David Mattingly was gracious enough to allow me to use the original cover art from the Bluejay Books and Tor Books print editions, so it's going to look great.