Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 05-11-2012, 09:25 PM   #1
crashed
Connoisseur
crashed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Touch
Question Is the glow worth the upgrade?

Hi everyone,

Ok, I'm a proud owner of a Nook simple touch, but considering upgrading to the new glow light model.

My basic concerns and questions are simple. Is the glow light, worth the upgrade? Is the contrast that noticeable? Would putting a screen guard on the glow light model going to make it look worse? I have heard the screen is a bit fragile?

Hoping somone who owns both can comment, and maybe give me better insight as I'm more of a night time reader and i do like the idea of a built.in light.

Thank you
crashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 08:47 AM   #2
bakersdozen12
bakersdozen12 began at the beginning.

Device: NOOK ST GlowLight
Yes, it is worth the upgrade! I just got mine exactly a week ago. It was a tough decision for me to upgrade too because I literally just upgraded to a NOOK Simple Touch in March (from a 1st edition NOOK). But, I figured I could always try out the GlowLight for 14 days. There's no way I'm returning it though, it's awesome!

The main reason why I love it has to do with the fact that I cannot have an e-reader without a book light. For both my NOOK 1st edition and my Simple Touch, I had an M-edge jacket with the optional book light. While it's a good product, the two things I hate about it: it makes the NOOK so much heavier because of the light and the fact that the case ends up being bigger than the NOOK to accommodate the light; and, I always hated the way the M-edge light is designed, because no matter how you position it, there is always a bit of light shining in your eyes.

So, I made the switch and I'm not going back! I now have so much more room in my purse because this new one is so much more portable. The glowlight itself works fantastic; it doesn't hurt your eyes at all, and actually, it comes in handy even in low light settings. As far as contrast is concerned, the difference is so slight that I would not have even noticed had someone not pointed it out in a written review. I actually had to put both my Simple Touch and my Simple Touch GlowLight next to each other to see the difference, and even then the difference was only noticeable if you really look for it.

Hope this helps!
bakersdozen12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2012, 09:13 AM   #3
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
To me it's not.
But guess the answer to is that question is the same as the "Do you often use your reader in low light situation ?" question.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 09:50 AM   #4
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
If I had a first gen Nook, I'd make the jump in a heartbeat. But I already have an STR and a very, very good booklight so its not worht it to me. I did have a look at them in store last week and the light is very nice. But I prefer my booklight over having my battery drained by the LED lights.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:08 AM   #5
talaivan
Groupie
talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-505
The glow is worth is

I tried the Simple Touch without the glow light, but returned it. I just got the one with the light, and find it's more usable than any eInk reader I've tried. The light makes the text much more legible in any situation where you don't have bright light shining on the screen. In my experience, that is 80% of the time.
talaivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2012, 03:46 PM   #6
Joe Minton
eReader
Joe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the end

Device: Sony 650, iPod Touch 4G, iPhone 4, Nook: Touch/Glow/Color/Tablet
I own all the current Nooks. If I could only have one, it would be the Nook Glow; it is the most versatile Nook.

The glow is not better than or even equal to the Tablet indoors. It is not as good as the Simple Touch in direct sunlight. It is, however, better than the Simple Touch indoors and better than the Tablet outdoors; it is the most versatile Nook.

Joe
Joe Minton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 04:34 PM   #7
Fanchee
Connoisseur
Fanchee can name that song in three notesFanchee can name that song in three notesFanchee can name that song in three notesFanchee can name that song in three notesFanchee can name that song in three notesFanchee can name that song in three notesFanchee can name that song in three notesFanchee can name that song in three notesFanchee can name that song in three notesFanchee can name that song in three notesFanchee can name that song in three notes

Device: Aura H20, PRS-350, Kobo Aura HD
I think the Nook Glow is worth the upgrade. I own both for now (plan on giving the NST as a birthday gift soon.) The Glow has a tad less contrast, but is still very good. The light makes it excellent. Also, I find that the page turn buttons and even the 'n' button are all easier to press, not as stiff.

I love the Glow!
Fanchee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 02:10 PM   #8
Rich_D
Fanatic
Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Kobo Glo HD, nook ST with Glo (backup)
I'll upgrade eventually, but only when it's necessary. I use my book light about 10% of the time, so I can't rationalize it.
Rich_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 12:31 PM   #9
glow
Book and Gadget Fan
glow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to behold

Device: Nooks GL3, ST w/GL, Color, HD+; Kindles Voyage & Paperwhite; PE, EE
I briefly had a Kindle and found it very challenging to read without a good light source. I ended up selling it to a friend. After that, I was doing my reading on my Nook Color, but there were times when the glare bothered me, and the battery life is nothing impressive. When I saw the Glowlight announced, I was very excited to have an e-ink option with self-contained lighting. For me, it's just right.

Last edited by glow; 05-16-2012 at 12:33 PM.
glow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 12:39 PM   #10
Rich_D
Fanatic
Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Kobo Glo HD, nook ST with Glo (backup)
My dog chewed up my book light yesterday. I had to think long and hard between replacing the light or replacing the nook. I bought a new light. It came down to the decision that it was easier to buy the light than it would be to set up the new nook, sell the old one, etc...
Rich_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 02:20 PM   #11
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
I would love one but I feel bad upgrading at this point. Maybe if they had a trade-in going on or something. Give me a bit for the NST to put toward it.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 04:14 PM   #12
crashed
Connoisseur
crashed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I know what you mean Nicky. I'm now wanting a Nook Glowlight, plan to buy one once they get more in. I just have 2 concerns after messing with one. Not sure if it was just the model the store had, but let me ask:

Does the screen on the Glowlight model feel a bit rough? like, not smooth as the non-Glow model?

Has anyone put a anti-glare or a matte scren protector on it to see how it looks or affect the display?

The "rough" feeling on the screen kinda bothers my senses I have to admit, and makes me want to put a screen guard on it to smooth it out. Plus I imagine it would cling to dust or be more suspect to scratches maybe.

Anyone can shed some light on this?
Old 05-30-2012, 04:58 PM   #13
alaskazimm
alaskazimm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alaskazimm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alaskazimm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alaskazimm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook Touch Glow; Kindle Paperwhite 2
Yeah, the screen on the NTG is rougher than the NST, but after using for a bit, it doesn't bother me at all and I no longer even notice it. As far as being a dust magnet, I don't notice any difference between the two.
alaskazimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 07:50 PM   #14
crashed
Connoisseur

I see, but it does make me wonder. I know on Gizmodo.com the review dropped a remote control on his Nook Glowlight and the glowlight screen got scratched good. I wonder if that will be a issue.

Which makes me consider buying a screen guard....hopefully it doesn't mess the screen up.
Old 06-09-2012, 07:12 PM   #15
susaz
Zealot
susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Grammata Papyre 6.2, Sony PRS T1, Nook ST Glow,Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
To me it's not.
But guess the answer to is that question is the same as the "Do you often use your reader in low light situation ?" question.
Everyday. I love reading in bed, and even sleeping by myself, artificial light casts shadows and reflections. I have a 6 month old Sony T1 I´m much tempted to trade for the glow light, even not liking dedicated readers...
susaz is offline   Reply With Quote