Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 07-27-2011, 11:43 PM   #1
jlutes
Connoisseur
jlutes began at the beginning.

Device: none
more metadata

You'll have to forgive me, my eyes just informed me that they were closing in just a few minutes if I liked it or not.....

I have a few different scenarios I haven't found good solutions to as of yet. The first being a large quantity of files with the isbn10 or amazon code as the first 10 characters in the file-name. I don't see a way to strip off the first 10 characters and enter them into the identifiers field. Is it there and I'm just missing it?
Also, on a different but related note - I would like to see a bulk metadata download option. Have the ability to select say 50 books and click a button and have all metadata for that book retrieved. If it's the only entry, it could get accepted automatically - same with covers...perhaps a "use cover from 'x' as first choice, cover from 'y' as second, etc. I could see me loading multiple libraries this way and ever later on refreshing the Amazon book notes/reviews in the future.

TIA for any assistance - system shutting down
jlutes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 11:53 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
bulk metadata and cover
Select books: Press Ctrl-D

Select Books: Right click for Menu of what can be done
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2011, 12:00 AM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlutes View Post
Also, on a different but related note - I would like to see a bulk metadata download option. Have the ability to select say 50 books and click a button and have all metadata for that book retrieved.
Already exists, highlight your 50 then click the dropdown arrow to the right of the edit metadata icon.

Quote:
perhaps a "use cover from 'x' as first choice, cover from 'y' as second, etc.
In the Configure download metadata you can prioritize cover sources, I have it set so, if available, it will use the Barnes & Noble cover 1st and covers from Goodreads 2nd.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 12:46 PM   #4
jlutes
Connoisseur

Awesome you two - tyvm for the help on bulk metadata

Anything on the first problem?
Old 07-28-2011, 03:19 PM   #5
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Awesome you two - tyvm for the help on bulk metadata

Anything on the first problem?

"The first being a large quantity of files with the isbn10 or amazon code as the first 10 characters in the file-name. I don't see a way to strip off the first 10 characters and enter them into the identifiers field. Is it there and I'm just missing it?"
Use the Add Books regular expression, get metadata from the filename, then something like this for the regex to grab the 10 character isbn:
Code:
(?P<isbn>.{0,10}).*
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2011, 03:55 PM   #6
jlutes
Connoisseur

Well, not very helpful for the books already in the library but thank you, I'll remember it for future follies.
Old 07-28-2011, 04:20 PM   #7
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Well, not very helpful for the books already in the library but thank you, I'll remember it for future follies.
You wrote:"The first being a large quantity of files with the isbn10 or amazon code as the first 10 characters in the file-name."

That didn't sound like formats already in the library. It sounded like "files" and "file-names." You can use search and replace if it's already in the library.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 11:42 AM   #8
jlutes
Connoisseur

Search and replace - NOW we're getting somewhere! I have been in the Edit Metadata in Bulk screen more times than I can count looking for exactly how to do it. I assume I need to be on the Search and Replace tab - but it appears this is just a "search within a field and replace what you find". I actually need to "search in a field and copy what I find into another field." There is no reference (that I can find) to direct info to a second field.
If I'm missing something here, please let me know.
Old 07-29-2011, 12:08 PM   #9
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
The search/replace section of the manual (http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/meta...ch-and-replace) says:
Quote:
Finally, in regular expression mode you can copy values from one field to another. Simply make the source and destination field different. The copy can replace the destination field, prepend to the field (add to the front), or append to the field (add at the end). The ‘use comma’ checkbox tells calibre to (or not to) add a comma between the text and the destination field in prepend and append modes. If the destination is multiple (e.g., tags), then you cannot uncheck this box.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 12:35 PM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Search and replace - NOW we're getting somewhere! I have been in the Edit Metadata in Bulk screen more times than I can count looking for exactly how to do it. I assume I need to be on the Search and Replace tab - but it appears this is just a "search within a field and replace what you find". I actually need to "search in a field and copy what I find into another field." There is no reference (that I can find) to direct info to a second field.
If I'm missing something here, please let me know.
Don't get tunnel vision because of the replace in the name.

RTFM
and explore all the pull down options.

AFAIK the only thing S&R can't do is pull data out of thin air
The crew went all out on the functionality of this one section.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 03:37 PM   #11
jlutes
Connoisseur

Ok - for anyone else looking at a problem like this, to pull the identifier from the front of the title and move it to identifier:

Choose search and replace under Edit Bulk Metadata
Change the search mode to Regular Expression
Search field = title
Search for = ^(\d+)(.*)
Replace with = \1
Destination field = identifiers
Identifier type = isbn

I agree S&R is quite powerful but extremely under-documented. Thanks for the help, it looks like it's working for me.
Old 07-29-2011, 05:27 PM   #12
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I agree S&R is quite powerful but extremely under-documented. Thanks for the help, it looks like it's working for me.
You are welcome to contribute any documentation you feel would have helped you.
Old 07-29-2011, 05:37 PM   #13
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kindle Paperwhite 10
After my initial FN LN to LN, FN post the other day, its subsequent discussion, and then trying different kinds of element moving, regex started making a whole lot more sense to me. I've been using the regex search/replace origin/destination a whole lot since and now I don't understand how I ever got along without it before.

Last edited by unboggling; 07-29-2011 at 05:41 PM.
unboggling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 05:23 PM   #14
jlutes
Connoisseur

Chaley,
What is the documentation submission process? Is there a wiki or wiki-type system that I just haven't found yet or is there another method?
Old 08-02-2011, 04:21 AM   #15
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Chaley,
What is the documentation submission process? Is there a wiki or wiki-type system that I just haven't found yet or is there another method?
Calibre's documentation is included with the source code. To obtain the source code (you will ignore most of it), see http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/develop.html, and in particular the section "Getting the code".

That aside, how you proceed depends on what you want to do. If you are making small changes to existing manual sections, then follow the instructions in the linked page above for submitting changes. The manual pages are in src/calibre/manual. They are in a form that is 'compiled' to generate the web pages (see below).

If you are thinking of writing something new/larger, then the process used by Manichean for the Regular Expression tutorial is a good one. He wrote a draft of the tutorial and posted it in a thread here. People commented, he reacted and edited the draft, etc. When he reached a point where he was satisfied, he submitted the draft to Kovid (don't know if he did it by email or through the forum). Kovid added it to the 'Tutorials' section.

When I did the 'Managing subgroups of books, for example “genre”' tutorial, I added it to the manual myself. This was easier for me because I manipulate the source all the time. Kovid added the link to the tutorials section.

Documentation is formatted using RST (reStructuredText) command. Quoting the RST web page (http://docutils.sourceforge.net/rst.html):
Quote:
reStructuredText is an easy-to-read, what-you-see-is-what-you-get plaintext markup syntax and parser system. It is useful for in-line program documentation (such as Python docstrings), for quickly creating simple web pages, and for standalone documents. reStructuredText is designed for extensibility for specific application domains. The reStructuredText parser is a component of Docutils. reStructuredText is a revision and reinterpretation of the StructuredText and Setext lightweight markup systems.

The primary goal of reStructuredText is to define and implement a markup syntax for use in Python docstrings and other documentation domains, that is readable and simple, yet powerful enough for non-trivial use. The intended purpose of the markup is the conversion of reStructuredText documents into useful structured data formats.
The tutorial on the RST page provides a lot of information, and calibre's existing documentation provides many germane examples.