Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-19-2012, 08:38 AM   #1
SaveMyKobo
SaveMyKobo began at the beginning.

Device: Original Kobo
Lightbulb An open letter to the Kobo developers

Dear Kobo Development team,

I am a linux software/firmware developer. I have been a Kobo owner ever since the original Kobo was released, and I have never owned another ereader. I love the simplicity of the original Kobo, without the bells and whistles of modern ereaders. I am, however, unhappy with the lack of firmware support for this device. I write this letter in hopes that you will be able to supply me with the sources for the latest 1.8.3 firmware. I have the ability to make the changes to the firmware that I see fit, as well as fixing stability issues and load times. In addition to fixing issues that I have with this device's firmware, I would be happy to become involved with the community, addressing issues that other original Kobo users have.

I appreciate your reading of this letter, even if my efforts are fruitless.

Best Regards.

EDIT: I'd like to hear the voice of the people so the Kobo Devs are aware of these problems which are not being addressed. Please, leave your comments below.

Last edited by SaveMyKobo; 06-20-2012 at 11:07 AM.
SaveMyKobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 12:58 PM   #2
fred_yu_job
Connoisseur
fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.

Device: kobo
I just wonder what are their developers (if still exist!) doing?
No any update for such a long time!
fred_yu_job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 01:59 PM   #3
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Well, we recently received an update for the Vox. It is also quite possible that they are busy developing new products. After all, this is an industry where new products have to be introduce otherwise the marketplace will define them as obsolete.
Old 06-21-2012, 03:34 PM   #4
WS64
WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura / PB Lux 2 / Bookeen Frontlight / Kobo Mini / Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
Well, we recently received an update for the Vox.
Really? Is there info about this somewhere online?
WS64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 03:38 PM   #5
covfam
Addict
covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipod Touch,Ipad3,Kindle fire, Samsung Galaxy tab, Samsung Galaxy S3
Quote:
Originally Posted by WS64 View Post
it was a MAJOR update, advertized on just about every electronic blog and reviewsite out there. it gets googleplay appstore and alot of fixes. most of the articles focus soly on the google play addition and not the fixes but its there.
covfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 03:54 PM   #6
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by WS64 View Post
Look at the Kobo Vox subforum on MR. There are a few people raving about it, both because of Google Play and performance improvements.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:51 PM   #7
WS64
WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura / PB Lux 2 / Bookeen Frontlight / Kobo Mini / Nook Color
Ah, sorry, I mixed up the Vox with one of the older models and was really wondering why it got an update...
WS64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 01:37 AM   #8
moffattm
Addict
moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Glo
I've got an original Kobo and it would be great if the Kobo devs would open-source the older software, especially if they have no intention of ever updating it themselves.
moffattm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 01:11 AM   #9
novou
Pointed Pontification.
novou rocks like Gibraltar!novou rocks like Gibraltar!novou rocks like Gibraltar!novou rocks like Gibraltar!novou rocks like Gibraltar!novou rocks like Gibraltar!novou rocks like Gibraltar!novou rocks like Gibraltar!novou rocks like Gibraltar!novou rocks like Gibraltar!novou rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kobo Touch (Black)
The ePub rendering code is a mix of Kobo as well as Adobe stuff AFAIK, so it's not as easy as simply relicensing their own code. To release a functioning open-source version they would probably have to cut lots of functionality and expend lots of effort on a release most users wouldn't benefit from.

I'd love it if they did it too, but it's a very big effort, and risk, on their part.

Here's what they do already release under GPL rules:
https://github.com/kobolabs/Kobo-Reader

..and here's a project to build a libre replacement for nickel, the QT app which handles book-reading on the devices. Currently just for the Kobo Touch, but its probably portable.
http://ccoffing.net/tech/proj/ocherbook/
novou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 12:55 AM   #10
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred_yu_job View Post
I just wonder what are their developers (if still exist!) doing?
No any update for such a long time!
Currently testing beta for Kobo Touch.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:48 AM   #11
SaveMyKobo
SaveMyKobo began at the beginning.

Device: Original Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by novou View Post
..and here's a project to build a libre replacement for nickel, the QT app which handles book-reading on the devices. Currently just for the Kobo Touch, but its probably portable.
http://ccoffing.net/tech/proj/ocherbook/
Now THIS I can get behind.... i'll begin investigating the portability of this to the Orig. Kobo devices. Thanks a bunch for your input.
SaveMyKobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 12:52 PM   #12
nogle
Gangnam style!
nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Terminator View Post
Currently testing beta for Kobo Touch.
Care to give some hints of what is included?
nogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 05:59 PM   #13
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nogle View Post
Care to give some hints of what is included?
I would, but I can't.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:22 PM   #14
plib
Guru
plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Terminator View Post
I would, but I can't.
Is there a beta application program? There's one particular issue I would love to stress test for them.
plib is offline   Reply With Quote